What's new

How much time they last in good condition? (1 Viewer)

GAGUILAR

Auditioning
Real Name
GUILLERMO
I have a set of five B&W LCR6 S2 speakers (B&W 600 Series 2) and one B&W ASW2000 subwoofer that I bought in year 2000 for a Home Cinema setup, since the LCR6 S2 are -supposedly- equally suited to left, centre or right positions. Sadly, for different reasons, they have spend much of their lives in a closet or unwired/unused.
Can someone tell me what to expect from them if I put them to work? Do they worn out or damage just by time, even when they are stored in a controlled environment indoors?
Thank you for your input on this.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
They can be perfectly fine. It depends mostly on your environment. Salt air tends to be bad, but the most likely thing to deteriorate is the surrounds, which is the rubber-like area around the drivers. Certain environmental things, especially salt air, can make those break down. If it's soft, pliable and intact, they're probably fine.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I have very similar speakers - - B&W 602 S3 fronts, LCR2 center, 602 S2 surrounds, and your same sub. They still sound as good as the day I bought them brand new, and they have been in use all these years. I wouldn't worry. The speakers should give you many more years of use.

I did have 604 S2s for my front speakers for many years, with the 602s as four surrounds. When we remodeled our family room a couple of years ago, though, I scaled down from a 7.1 to 5.1 setup and sold the 604 towers.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
I agree with my forum colleagues and doubt there's any need for concern but why not ask the actual experts?

1665578195047.png

GAGUILAR

Auditioning
Real Name
GUILLERMO
They can be perfectly fine. It depends mostly on your environment. Salt air tends to be bad, but the most likely thing to deteriorate is the surrounds, which is the rubber-like area around the drivers. Certain environmental things, especially salt air, can make those break down. If it's soft, pliable and intact, they're probably fine.
I appreciate your opinions and the experiences you had with these and other speakers; thank you.

GAGUILAR

Auditioning
Real Name
GUILLERMO
I have very similar speakers - - B&W 602 S3 fronts, LCR2 center, 602 S2 surrounds, and your same sub. They still sound as good as the day I bought them brand new, and they have been in use all these years. I wouldn't worry. The speakers should give you many more years of use.

I did have 604 S2s for my front speakers for many years, with the 602s as four surrounds. When we remodeled our family room a couple of years ago, though, I scaled down from a 7.1 to 5.1 setup and sold the 604 towers.
I appreciate your opinions and the experiences you had with these and other speakers; thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks