What's new

Paradigm upgrade to Studios (1 Viewer)

Bill Kane

Screenwriter
I just finished rereading RicP's marathon Paradigm "owners" thread from last week, and now I have an upgrade bug since I'm getting a tax refund.

Last year, my local dealer didnt have the Reference/Studio franchise; now he does. If I were able to trade in my Monitors 9s and CC-370 for Studio 60s and CC, should I consider just keeping the Mini-Monitors ($350) as my rears, sted of Studio 20s ($700)?

I guess I'm lookin' for some sonic timbre justification to "save" $350. Like, how "seamless" do rears have to be in the mix?! I plan to mount the rears from the ceiling but haven't got to it yet.

bill

Jay C

Grip
Bill,

Strictly speaking for home theater, there is not much stuff in the surrounds. I just auditioned Studio 20's versus Reference ADP's for surround duty. With all other channels (center, front, sub) turned off, we evaluated these two using Gladiator. Well, I wass suprised how very little there was. Just an FYI.

Now, 5.1 surround music like that on Blue Man Group Audio, well, that's a whole different story. It that is a consideration, then go with the Paradigm recomendation of ADP's. I'm upgrading my rears for this very reason.

Jay

Bill Kane

Screenwriter
yes, that's a thot, tho I'm aways from DVD-A or SACD; however I do enjoy 5Channel Stereo mode. Mebbe I shudn't be cheap when considering the future possibilities. Im just concerned about how I can more easily unload the Minis (dealer takeback or consignment) if I upgrade. (BTW my room cannot use ADPs - I need direct firing).

DustinDavis

Stunt Coordinator
Bill,

If you have a decent sub you could save the money by picking up Studio 40's instead of 60s.

BTW, I'm not sure I agree with the assessment that the rears do not have much information and therefore do not need to match. It's possibly not as critical, but Dolby Digital provides equal amplification to all channels for a reason--a lot of soundtracks have quite a bit of information back there and it needs to be heard. In those cases, you will be better suited to a matching setup.

EricHaas

Supporting Actor
Hi. First, do the upgrade to the Reference line. You won't regret it. Second, you do not need a strict timbre match for your surrounds. Third, moving from minis to Studio ADP's WILL make a very noticeable difference, but moving to Studio 20's for surrounds probably won't. So if you cannot use dipoles, you can stay with the minis to save money. Finally, I agree with Dustin that going to the 40's (on stands) is a good option if you want to free up more cash for a sub or anything else.

Bill Kane

Screenwriter
Hey, I've got an SVS 25-31PC Serial #00026!

Anyway, it's a long road for me to overcome the old concept that I need a do-all, 3-way speaker, bass reflex and all that, from when I started in mono hi-fi days, to just a bookshelf-sized midrange speaker when used in a subwoofer sonic environment.

It's hard to convince myself to keep downsizing, especially when I now can afford (a dreamy) system!

I'll have to LISTEN to the Studio 40, for sure. Studio 60s certainly come with a good rep, but I note there's 40 owners and 60 owners who stoutly stand by their choice (given all the other variables).

Brad Jay

Agent
Aren't studio 40's + stands almost equal in price to the studio 60's which are floorstanding?

EricHaas

Supporting Actor
Good point Brad. I know there is $300 difference in price between the 40's and 60's. I am guessing the stands cost $150-$200, assuming you buy the Paradigm stands new for retail price of course. Kind of makes the gap pretty slim.

DustinDavis

Stunt Coordinator
I own the 40's. Yes, Brad, that is a good point but there are lower-cost alternatives to the Paradigm stands.

Jay C

Grip
BTW, I'm not sure I agree with the assessment that the rears do not have much information and therefore do not need to match.
Dustin, please keep in mind I was referring to HT only. Try this little experiment. Disconnect your fronts, sub, and center and listen to whatever movie you want. The sound from the rears is minimal and thus can be sacrificed, for say the fronts or center. On the other hand, when I spoke of surround music, I did recommend timbre matching. I agree with you on the 40's, I did an A/B with them and the 20's...no contest. Those will be the next pair I seriously look at.

Thanks,

Jay

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks