What's new

Paradigm Subwoofer PDR 10 vs PDR 12 (1 Viewer)

GrahamJW

Stunt Coordinator
Hi:

I am not sure if this is a valid question. I was wondering if there is a big difference between the PDR 10 and the PDR 12 Paradigm subwoofer? Some say that the PDR 10 is better than the PDR 12 and vice versa. Depending on the retail source, I know that the PDR 12 is any where from 100 to 200 dollars (Can) more. I was wondering if the price difference justified the extra money for 2 more inches. From what I can gather, they are identical in construction. I currently have a PDR 10 that I purchase about 6 months ago, but I was wondering if I should have ordered a PDR 12. I am in a small community, so the store didn't have any PDR 12s in stock to audition at the time. Most of my listening is with movies in a 5.1 setup. Just was wondering what some of the Paradigm gurus thought.

Cheers...John

JamieS

Stunt Coordinator
I tested both. Bought the PDR 12. I ldtened to both one after another using James Bond DVD Die another day where the plane flys overhead at the start before a big explosin. I could tell the PDR 12 went lower and moved more air.

I listend to the PDR 12 next to a PS series and liked the PDR better.

If it were me I'd try to save up and move up to the PW 2200 (I have one now) Now THAT is a sub and a great deal in Canada (where SVS is not so cheap)

Jason GT

Second Unit
If you already have a PDR10, the 12 may be an improvement but IMO is a very minorly incremental move.

Once again IMO you're better off stashing the $150 odd bucks towards a major upgrade rather than just a small step.

GrahamJW

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Jamie & Jason:

Thanks for the input. I bought the PDR 10 for about $347 Can. (I think it was a good deal?) and the PDR 12 was going for $499 Can. (the PDR 12 wasn't in stock at the time, so I couldn't audition it). I wasn't sure if it was worth spending the extra money to only get a minor improvement in bass. What was going through the back of my mind was that I may be missing out on some earth shattering bass by not going to the PDR 12 (12 inch driver) and picking the PDR 10 (10 inch driver). According to Paradigm specs the PDR 10 goes to 27 Hz and the 25 Hz, so I wasn't sure if 2 more Hz lower would make a big "shake the walls" difference (enough to spend an extra $150). Anymore thoughts would be appreciated.

Maybe I will take Jamie's advice and save up some $$ over the next few years and look into a PW2200.

Cheers...John

PS: Jason, I know this maybe Naive of me, but what does the acronym "IMO" stand for?

GrahamJW

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks John...I bookmarked the site for future reference as I am now to the forum seen

Jason GT

Second Unit
Well, keep in mind this is what I have read, not experienced --

- don't pay too much attention to the low freq. extension number. It's a guide, but doesn't say at what SPL (sound pressure level) this extention is measured at. At a higher SPL, the bass response is almost certainly peakier. The number isn't uselss but buying decisions shouldn't be entirely based on this number either.

- the larger driver on the PDR 12 gets more volume and extension, but it won't be a roomshaking difference.
Once again, IMO :) save your cash for a bigger upgrade.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks