What's new

Subwoofer Purchase Question - SVS vs. Rythmik (1 Viewer)

Mark Abrams

Stunt Coordinator
OK so I've got a *bit* more money to play with on this, but I'm down to deciding between an SVS PB-1000, SVS PB-2000, SVS PC-2000, or Rythmik LV12R -- keep in mind I'm coming from 20+/- years of having a Paradigm PDR-12 12" sub, which isn't repairable for less than $170. I'm leaning toward an SVS PB-1000, but how will I feel about a 10" cone vs. 12"?
Alternatively, the Rythmik LV12R is $569, not much more than the SVS PB-1000. The PB-2000 is high in price, but I've seen a cylindrical SVS PC-2000 on sale for less. Which would be my best choice? Most of my viewing is TV/Home Theater, but I also listen to classical music. Any help would be very much appreciated!

arsh

Second Unit
I am in similar boat SVS 1000 vs Martin Logan Dynamo 700. I want to use wireless.

BaconFat

Agent
Real Name
Daniel
I'd look at it this way. After a few months with the SVS PB-2000 or or the Rythmik you're not going to be saying to yourself, "Man, I wish I had saved my money and bought a 10" sub instead." I was looking at the same subs six months ago and had put the Rythmik at the top of my list. What ruled the PB-2000 out was the metal grill. I just didn't care for the way it looked and the sub was going to be right up front for me to look at all the time. I ended up bumping up my budget and getting a PSA 15v. I have not once regretted spending the extra money and I have a pretty limited income.

Mark Abrams

Stunt Coordinator
I'd look at it this way. After a few months with the SVS PB-2000 or or the Rythmik you're not going to be saying to yourself, "Man, I wish I had saved my money and bought a 10" sub instead." I was looking at the same subs six months ago and had put the Rythmik at the top of my list. What ruled the PB-2000 out was the metal grill. I just didn't care for the way it looked and the sub was going to be right up front for me to look at all the time. I ended up bumping up my budget and getting a PSA 15v. I have not once regretted spending the extra money and I have a pretty limited income.

I talked with SVS this afternoon, and asked about the PB-1000 and whether or not coming from a 20-year old Paradigm 12" I would feel shorted - the guy was very helpful, explaining that with these new generation subwoofers, the response is very accurate and FLAT, rather than boomy, and that some people, coming from old-school subs just hate it. But, at the same time, he said that it would be a significant upgrade over what I had, which had a frequency response range of only 50-150Hz. I'm also looking at the PC-2000 down-firing 12" SVS one, but didn't ask about that. There are so many pluses about the Rythmik LV12R, though; how reliable are their amps, though (I think I saw that the warranty was 3 years on the amp?)? I talked with Ascend Acoustics who tells me due to the cage (?) surrounding the woofer going from plastic to metal in the new shipment Rythmik just got, the price is now $589 w/free shipping; I also asked where they were manufactured, and they said the parts are manufactured all over the world, that the unit comes from Asia, but maybe assembled in Texas (the person I talked to wasn't sure of that)?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks