What's new
World Wide Stereo

Paradigm sub advice (1 Viewer)

Chris Massa

Auditioning
I am planning on a speaker upgrade soon (from Bose AM-10). I am going with Paradigm speakers (Mini Monitors in front, CC-370 center, Atom surrounds) but have a choice to make on the subwoofer. A new Paradigm PS-1000 will run 579$. A one year old PDR-12 v2 will cost $360. Any advice or comparisons of the two? I noticed that the driver on the PS-1000 is fully enclosed where the PDR-12 is exposed. Will this make a difference?

Thanks,
Chris

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Chris Quinn

Screenwriter
The PDR line from Paradigm isn't up to the quality of the rest of Paradigm's line up.

If you want to keep the cost down look at either the Hsu STF-2 or SVS Pb-10 both are $399.

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ
I agree with Chris....I used to own a PDR-10, but when the SVS 25-31 decided to drop in for a visit I was shocked at the difference. Being that SVS now has a $399 sub, there is no way I could ever recommend a Paradigm sub. SVS will strongly outperform it at every possible price point. And this is coming from a very loyal Paradigm customer as it pertains to their speakers.

Antonio_B

Stunt Coordinator
but since he's thinking about staying with Paradigm speakers,i would suggest you to get the "PS-1200" or the "PS-1000".
Now if you want to step in other category which is considered probably "high-end" i would tell you to go grab yourself a "PW-2200" but that all depends on how much you're planning to spend.

DelRay

Stunt Coordinator
I agree with Antonio. The Ps series is better than the PDR series. And the prices reflect it. However the quality of the PW2200 exceeds the PS series. I tested both before opting for 2 PW2200's. The bass output is low and clean. If you plan on using your sub for music also, then the 2200 is your sub. If the price is a little too high, check the used market. They can be had for less.

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ
This is what Bryan Dailey of Audio/Video Revolution said about the PW2200: "I also found the subwoofer to be a little slow and boomy for my tastes. I’ve become quite accustomed to hearing Sunfire’s smaller subwoofers, and the Paradigm tended to be fractionally slower in its response time."

The price of the PW2200 is $799. I bet if you did a search of the professional reviews for SVS or Hsu you would not find the words "slow" or "boomy" anywhere in the article, unless it was reference to another sub. If you stay with Paradigm, then the PW2200 is probably the best choice at that price range (mostly be default). But for less money you could have THIS http://www.hometheatersound.com/equi...2531pcplus.htm

And I'd be surprised if you could fine anyone - professional or otherwise - who if given these two options would take the Paradigm sub.

Just my $.02 :)

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ
Actually, I just re-read the original post and saw that he's upgrading from Bose......in that case, you may be better off with the Paradigm sub.....cause the shock that you would encounter hearing an SVS product after being accustomed to Bose may be a little much for anyone to handle :D

Paradigm speakers are amazingly good value for the money. But when it comes to bass, SVS will kick the crap out of them at every step along the way in regards to price point.

Joe.K

Auditioning
I own a PDR 10, demoed it right along side and HSU STF-2 watching Spiderman 2. I can honestly say, I was not as impressed for $430 as I was from the $220 I paid for my PDR 10. I also demoed alot of Boston subs, some well more then 400 bucks, soem B&W and MK subs as well.

I found the Paradigm for the price, to be as good, or better then almost every sub I demoed, for a fraction of the cost. I found the sub to have good response, not boomy at all, and for the size room I'm using, along with the size budget I had to lay down for a theatre, the Paradigm fit quite nicely. I read probably 6-8 reviews, all said for the price, they were very, very good. For the price I got mine for, it was untouchable.

Chris Quinn

Screenwriter
Unfortunately, it looks like Tom Nousaine's measurements are no longer being hosted. They used to be here- http://members.cox.net/frankcarter/T...Sub%20Data.htm

If there were still availible you could see that PDR-12 is clean(were it reaches 10% distortion) to only 50Hz and the PDR-10 is clean to only 42hz and reaches around 35Hz. The Hsu or SVS are clean down to at least 25Hz and can reach around 20Hz.

Paradigm has good subs just not in the PDR line.

Aaron_Mum

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Chris:

I own an all paradigm system similar to the one you are going to get and my advise is to take your time buying your sub. Because you are running bookselves you are going to need a good one to get the most out of your system. The sub you choose is going to make a huge difference in how your system is going to sound overall.

The PDR line is not well respected and if you look at the specs of the sub it does not play that low. This WILL leave you wanting more and you are going to want to upgrade after a few months. The PS line has better output but I have heard a lot of guys around here complain about its ability to play music well. Again, this again WILL leave you wanting more. The PW line is where satisfaction begins with paradigm but at that price point you have to consider the competition of HSU and SVS. HSU and SVS are better subs for the money.

I own the PW2100, a great little sub for the money. If I didn't live in Canada where it is a good deal I would have never bought it. I would have an SVS on order if I where you.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bmoore9
Recent bookmarks