What's new

Paradigm Reference ADP vs. Studio 40 for 5.1 surrounds? (1 Viewer)

Steve*MH

Stunt Coordinator
Looking for a pair of surrounds for 5.1 now, while looking to upgrade to 7.1 in the future. Which is the best route to take? Dipole vs. Monopole. ADP vs. Studio 40s. I want to stick with Paradigm Reference with Studio 100s for fronts, CC-450 center, and Servo-15 sub. Used mostly for home theater, about 70% HT and 30% Music. Any thoughts or experiences would be appreciated.

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
If it's mostly for HT, I would say go with the ADP's because the localization of surround sound won't be as prominent as with the direct radiators. However, if you are looking to dive into the hi-rez formats (SACD or DVD-A), then direct radiators may make more sense for the reproduction of sound in those arenas.

I have Studio 40's up front with Studio 20's in the rear because my HT allocation is 70% music, 30% HT, the exact opposite of yours and Studio 20's make more sense for me back there.

James Bergeron

Supporting Actor
I'm running 4 40's and a CC sound great. I didn't even consider the ADPs for 2 reasons. 1) I have a DVD-audio player and 2) the 40's provide a perfectly satisfying surround effect, why bother with anything else. All speakers now match, sounds great.

What is a CC-450? The studio centre is just called the CC unless they released a new one.

RichardH

Supporting Actor
Why not the 20's? I doubt you'll miss the extra extension in the surround channels.

Marc H

Second Unit
Be aware that with dipoles you will lose bass and detail. Handy to wall mount though, aren't they?
Their out of phase radiation pattern cancels information by the time the sound reaches your ears.
I'd second the motion on either 40's or 20's.
James is onto a great thing though; you can't beat having the same speaker for front and rear in a digital or multi-channel music system.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks