What's new

Paradigm Monitor11, Monitor90P and Klispch Reference RF-3 (1 Viewer)

ClaudeL

Stunt Coordinator
I have presently the Monitor9. I'm very pleased by their overall sound althought that I find that the vocals sound a bit nasaly. What I would like to have is more PUNCH. I heard during a few seconds the Klipsch Reference RF-3 towers and wow! They have so much dynamics. But during that little time, I didnt like their highs (a bit harsh). I prefers the highs of Paradigm. And I saw some Paradigm Monitor11 and Monitor90 but I didnt have the time to listen to them during that day. Their five drivers impressed me a lot when I took a look at them. They seem to punch much harder. What do you think about them (monitor11 and 90P) ??? and compared to the Rf-3???

Martin Rendall

Screenwriter
What about a comparably priced Paradigm Studio speaker? I'm suspect the 60's are in a similar price range, and the 40's are a great deal.

Martin.

ClaudeL

Stunt Coordinator
WOW! The Definitive Technolgy loudspeakers seems to rock! But no one here could tell me how the Paradigm Monitor11 and 90P, Definitive Tech BP-30, Klipsch Reference RF-3 sound? And which one would you choose? Gimme more details...

Bob_A

Supporting Actor
Claude, you are absolutely right...the Def Techs certainly DO rock! :)
Take a look at my DT setup guide: http://www.audioutopia.com/cgi-bin/Y...num=1006931043
Keep in mind that the DT's will generally sound significantly better at home once you spend some time breaking them in and carefully setting them up. You should find them to be ultra clear...with a huge soundstage, a natural, full midrange and clean, crisp highs which are not bright.
Definitely audition the DT's along with the others. I could not say exactly how the bp30 would compare with the other speakers that you listed (I guess this would depend on one's sonic preferences) ...but properly set up and mated with well-matching amplification (like Yamaha), then I can pretty much assure you that you would enjoy them. Still, there are lots of good speakers out there...go with what you feel matches your sonic and aesthetic preferences. Good luck!

itai

Stunt Coordinator
hi claude
i too thoght the klipsch ref's were amazing. the dealer told me that you could tone down the brightness with wires.
so i continued my search.
when i got to paradigm, i had th 11's in mind, until i heard the studio 60's. it's a whole different ball game, and need a different set of mind...
they dont scream, arent loud, bright or any other "HT" related "benefit". i thought they were weak compared to the 111 cm, 5 drivers 11's. (mroe drivers isnt always a good thing...)
but! for music they're adorable! and for HT, well, they kick ass!!! they blew the 11's (for my newly aquired taste, that is), for clarity, separation, neutrality, and smoothness.
on Gladiator's most violant scenes, they deliverd clear, smooth, LOUD(!!), sound, while the 11's screamed and huffed and puffed.
btw, the definitive towers i heard next to the 60's, (cant remember the model, had subwoofers in them) were lacking in mid range and had too much bass. but that was after i chose the 60's, so i was unbiased, sorry. i have a friend who has them and he adores DT, so.
my 2 cents

Kevin McCurdy

Stunt Coordinator
Claude,

Two years ago when I was upgrading my old mismatched speakers I wanted to buy 5 speakers from the same manufacturer, I also had a limited amount of money I wanted to spend $1200.00 - $1400.00. My system is almost entirely used for movies.

I listened to a lot of different speakers in that price range including these brands to name a few, Boston Acoustics, Definitive Technology, B&W, PSB, Mirage, NHT, Paradigm, Polk and Klipsch. A local dealer carried both the Paradigms and Klipsch, so I listened to both side by side.

In the end I purchased the Klipsch RF-3's, RC-3 and RS-3's. I prefered their sound, dynamics and thought they were the best value for the money. Recently, someone wanted to buy my Klipsch speakers, so I thought about changing speakers(upgraditis), so again I went out and demoed other speakers, specifically Paradigm Studio 100's, NHT VT2.4's, B&W (I don't remember the model)and Klipsch RF-5's and RF-7's. In the end I only sold the RC-3 and I purchased the Klipsch RF-5's & RC-7 speakers. I kept the RF-3's (moved to the rears) and RS-3's (moved to the sides). I will say that the RF-5's are smoother than the RF-3's and both are placement/equipment sensitive. If you can, listen to as many different brands and try to use equipment (receivers, amps) similar to yours. I use a Denon 3300 (until I get the 950) as a preamp with Harman Kardon (PA5800, PA2400) amps. In the end it's what you prefer that counts. Good luck!

ClaudeL

Stunt Coordinator
oh well! So you are telling me that the Paradigm Studio line is more dynamic? What about the Paradigm Monitor 90P??? They have a build-in subwoofer (3 8" drivers). aaaww the Monitor90P seems to kick more asses. I just want to have approximately the same punch or dynamic than with the Klipsch Reference RF-3 towers. Do the Studio series or the Monitor90P are able to do that?

Bob_A

Supporting Actor
btw, the definitive towers i heard next to the 60's, (cant remember the model, had subwoofers in them) were lacking in mid range and had too much bass.
I am pretty sure that most dealers do not properly set up the Def Tech towers. They should have a wonderful midrange, and the bass on the powered tower models can be adjusted for each speaker via volume knobs on the back of each speaker. You never want to make definitive conclusions based on an in-store audition. An in-store audition will rarely do justice to these DT speakers (particularly the bipolar powered tower models).

Claude, what is your price range? How big is your room? Will there be any major placement restrictions? What amplification will you be using with the speakers? If you are looking for some added punch from your main speakers, you might want to check out the models with built in powered woofers...after placing them well in your room, they are really awesome...trust me.

ClaudeL

Stunt Coordinator
mmm im gonna certainly buy a 140W/channel amp... I dont know which brand yet. For the bass punch, Im looking for something similar to the Klipsch Reference RF-3. I dont want a powered tower because I prefer to buy a sub like a Velodyne HGS-18 to add some low frequency bass. Also, I find that most of powered towers dont give the same VERY tight bass impact than the Reference RF-3.
In other way, I liked a lot the sound of Paradigm loudspeakers. They sound flat, neutral and its what I like from a speaker. For the moment, nobody can tell me if the Monitor90P give a better bass impact during heavy bass songs?
But Bob, dont worry. Im gonna give a try to these Def Tech. But for now, I just want to know if the Studio line or the Monitor90P from Paradigm give better dynamics and bass TIGHT impacts... like the Reference Rf-3 towers.
For the budget, Im looking for something under US2000$ I dont have limitations more than now in my room.
Thanks you for answering me , I appreciate your answers ;)
Sorry for my english, I speak french 24h per 24 every day so I must have many mistakes in my sentences.

itai

Stunt Coordinator
bob - i guess you're right, i was wondering how those dt towers sounded so weak, but was allready into the studios, so didnt really investigate.

Claude -
"Im looking for something similar to the Klipsch Reference RF-3"..." I find that most of powered towers dont give the same VERY tight bass impact than the Reference RF-3"..."TIGHT impacts... like the Reference Rf-3 towers"
So whats wrong with the Klipsch??? sounds like you like them more than anything, why do you say paradigm?

Bob_A

Supporting Actor
Claude, you can definitely get a bp2002TL for $2000 street price, and you might even be able to get the bp2000TL for close to that amount. Definitely take a look at my setup guide for these speakers. I have the bp2000TL, and the bass is as tight and as tuneful as I have heard. Now (after living with the speakers for a couple years) I am really amazed at how superb the bass is. Don't let a built-in powered woofer throw you off...when set up well and when wired "full range", even the largest DT powered towers should have very tight, tuneful, and deep bass. And the volume knobs for each speaker really help to keep the bass well-controlled for all your program material. Just keep in mind that it takes a little while to get the bass right, so a quick in-store audition may not do the trick. I know plenty of people who have had fantastic results using powered towers and crossing them over to quality external subs (to handle the lowest of lows). At least try it out. If you have no placement restrictions, you should be amazed. Good luck!

ClaudeL

Stunt Coordinator
Itai, its because I liked a lot the dynamics of the Reference RF-3 towers but i didnt like they "harshness". Because I like the sound and the look of the Paradigms, I asked you all if you know more about the Monitor P90 or others Paradigm Studio. Are they more dynamics and do they have the punch that the Klipsch Reference towers offer?

matthew_rm

Second Unit
Real Name
Real name
I have never heard a speaker with sound that can be anything like klipsch. Not that Klipsch sounds the best, but diffrent. Klipsch, (reference, ledgend, heritage) have a "slammmmmmm" factor you can't get with paradigm. (or other brands) Very dynamic sound. It's awsome. I love the foward sound of the RF3's. The, "in your face" mids. It may have much less then the older klispch, but it is also very detailed.

I think what matters most is which sound you like the best. In audio, people allways want to impress others. Even if they will never hear the system! (internet)

Oh yeah, Klipsch is LOUDER and stays clean.

I guess I may be HIGH on Klipsch. I like other speakers as well, but Klipsch is my fav'.

PS. I wouldn't get powered towers. I have not heard one that sounded good for a good price.

Get what YOU want!

Bob_A

Supporting Actor
PS. I wouldn't get powered towers. I have not heard one that sounded good for a good price.
You should listen to some DT powered towers...if set up properly you might be pleasantly surprised :) And you can get their PowerMonitors for as little as $800/pair.

itai

Stunt Coordinator
claud
i didnt hear the monitor 90 so i dont have an opinion on it.
you have to hear and compare yourself.
i heard the klipsch and thought they were amazing and had tough time making up my mind. it took me about a month of repeted auditioning of about 4 final candidates(b&w600s3, paradigm studio 60's, Klipsch ref-5's, and mission).
i heard the monitor 11, and it looks like the 90 without the sub. the studio+sub is better in my mind.
buy only what you like, and if you cant decide, read some, ask around, check for prices and friendly dealers, and listen again.
btw, you cant loose with your final candidates anyway.
;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks