What's new

Paradigm Monitor 5s or Studio 20s (1 Viewer)

BrianWoerndle

Supporting Actor
I am trying to decide if the Studio 20s are worth the extra $125 over the Monitor 5s. First, some info:

-These are for 100% music listening in my bedroom.
-They will be powered by a Denon 3803 (110w/ch) hooked up to zone 2
-No sub (for now)
-I have Paradigm Mini Monitors (fronts), CC-370, Titans (Rears) and a PS-1000 in my main HT room.
-I eventually want 7.1 for my HT room. I don't know what to shift and what to value. Do I move the Minis to the rear and add better fronts? Do I get ADP?s Do I get 5s up front and move the Minis to Zone 2? Do I get Studio 20s now assuming that someday I will have all Studios and use the 20s in the rear?
-Listening habits in the main room are about 60% music, 40% HT.
-I think I want to stay with Paradigm so I can keep shifting around as I upgrade, but I am open to other companies for Zone 2 if I feel that they are staying and will hold their own without a sub.
-I have $500-$600 to spend (well, not really, but I will anyway. I don't really have the extra money for the Studios, but if they will be better in the long run, I will)

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
If you get the 20s and put them in the main system as mains, you will then want/need a Studio CC for the front stage.

5s, with Minis or Titans as rears is a good setup. I had Minis for a while, but eventually swapped the Minis to the bedroom because the Titans I was using there did fine as surrounds and the Minis are better at music in the bedroom system (stereo, no sub, 95% music).

For 100% music (and mostly music in the main system), the 20s will be a better choice in the long run, whichever room they end up in.

Since you are open to other brands, I will have to recommend GR-Research AV1s. Note that these are a DIY kit, but can also be purchased assembled. Excellent speaker for music.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.