What's new

Panny or Sony which one to buy? (1 Viewer)

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Travis

Your anti-Sony bias simply does not stand up to current facts. The Sony 34XBR960 is widely held to be the best commercially available direct view CRT.

You just might be interested in the fact that HTF Moderator and ISF tech Gregg Loewen recently did an ISF on a Sony for Consumer Reports. Consumer Reports recently top rated 10 different Sony models of various types: direct view CRT; Plasma ED: Plasma HD: CRT RPTV; LCD.

Now that Gregg has seen Consumer Reports labs and met with their engineers, he has good reason to believe that not only are their ratings of direct view CRT (that he worked with) valid, but their ratings of other types of TV, including the top rated Sony KP-51WS520 and KP-57WS520 rear projectors are valid as well.

Trashing Sony is like trashing Toyota.

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
I must say, I've had my Sony KP51SW520 T.V. for almost a year and I simply love it. I have the Zenith DVB 318 upscaling player via component and I can only imagine the best picture will come from HD and I've seen it on the Sony in a store before my purchase and it was simply beautiful. Satellite viewing is quite good and the stretch modes just makes the t.v. more enjoyable. But the performance from the upscaling player well it's phenominal. Star Wars, Fifth Element and just added to the list Mystery Men, look simply gorgeous on this t.v. For 1450, the Son is the best picture you are going to get for the price.

Robert Burr

Auditioning
Well I think I goofed. The wife and I went to one of our local appliance/furniture stores and bought a new living room set, TV cabinet and a TV. We bought a JVC 56WP74. It was a display model from last year he said, but it was in their other store so I didn't get to see the picture before buying the TV. This place also carries Sony, Phillips and RCA so when he told me the picture was just as good as the others I figured it was OK. Cause he could have been trying to sell me a more expensive unit. We ended up getting the TV for 1200 bucks cause of the large purchase we made. Anyway so I get the TV home and I'm not impressed. When I compare it to the Sony or even the RCA's in the showroom I am disapointed in the quality. I can see the piciles (spelling?) sometimes especially when watching dish. DVD doesn't seem to be bad though. I've been told that since its a 56" TV that the picture will not be as good as the 51" TV's that I am comparing it to. I used the Auto Convergence but it didn't seem to help. Is there some tuning that I can do or is this just not a good set?

BTW: I should mention that this is my first big screen TV. We stepped up from a 32" Toshiba and I would rather wath the Toshiba then the JVC.
Thanks for all your help,
Bob

John S

Senior HTF Member
I'd call the manager pronto, and tell him you just not happy with this display, especially when you go back to the store and compare it to others.

He should make it right for you, so early after the sale.

JVC goes in that OK catagory for me....

I like Sony and Panny much more on an average, heck I even tend to favor Philips over the JVC's out there I have had experience with.

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
I've seen the JVC t.v. and back then I wasn't impressed. I agree with JohnS, call the manager and tell them you are not happy with the picture and you wish to get the Sony or Panny.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Note that on a crt based set "pixelly" picture is more than likely due to the source material rather than the set itself.

I am also of the opinion that the Sony or Panny will outperform JVC's crt based models. That being said, a pixelly picture from Dish is going to be very much more noticeable on any of them than on your old 27-36" analog set so don't expect a cure-all for that particular source.

Robert Burr

Auditioning
Problems already. None of the S-video connections work and neither does the coax. :frowning: I've read on the net that others have had problems with the same thing and also with the sets going out. Seems like RCA isn't the only ones with quality problems.

Robert Burr

Auditioning
Oh yea BTW anybody know what the warranty on a JVC is. I was told it was a minimum of 3 years but read on the net that its only 1 year?

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Robert

Quit banging your head against the wall. Cough up another $250 and get a brand new Sony 51WS520 and be done with it. Like John said call real soon, and use your leverage from a big purchase.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks