Panny or Sony which one to buy?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Robert Burr, Jun 4, 2005.

1. Robert Burr

Robert Burr Auditioning

Hi there,
    I'm in the market for a new TV. I'm stepping up from a 32" Toshiba to around a 50". The two I've been looking at are the Panisonic 53WX54 and the Sony KP-51WS520. Both from Wal-Mart. The Panny is $1175 after shipping and the Sony is $1450 marked down from $1600 and is at the store. I was wondering if one of these is better then the other or are they both about equal? I have seen the picture on the Sony and I think it is great, but nobody around here sells Panisonic so I haven't been able to view one. I was also a little concerned with the pricing. The Sony's original price is $500 more then the Panisonic is that cause its that much better of a TV or is it cause its a "SONY"?
    Thanks is advance.
    Bob

2. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

The insides of the Panasonic are more cheaply built than the sony. They don't bother painting the inside black any more for instance.

Both sets calibrate well for outstanding images. There are a few more service menu items on the sony that help it to be tweaked a wee bit finer than the Panasonic.

Regards

3. Kirk Patrick

Kirk Patrick Stunt Coordinator

i have been looking at these same sets for awhile

my impression of the wx model is that it is a cheaper version of the x model, they seemed to have cut some corners, it does have bigger speakers which makes it a lot heavier

i saw the sony ws520 the other day pulling in a satellite signal and it looked great

plus, this may sound a little wacky, but the sony comes with wheels which is a nice feature on a tv this heavy

i personally would choose the sony.......if it was between the 53x54 and the sony i would have to think a little harder, bigger is almost always better in hdtvs

good luck

4. Robert Burr

Robert Burr Auditioning

Well I priced out a 53X54 for $1170. I never thought buying a TV would be so hard. Let me recap I can get the Sony for 1450 but it was origanly 1600. So its between a $1450 Sony or a $1170 Panny. It seems to me that the Sony would be a better piece since it was origanaly a $1600 unit and I have seen it at electronics stores for up to $1750. But I realize that this industry is probably just like all others in where you pay a little more for a name like "SONY". The 53X54 I can get at one of the local rent-to-own places. They cut good deals if you pay cash. So which one guys? After all there is only a $280 dollar difference and the rent-to-own place will deliver it for me. So which one guys? Sony or Panny?

5. Kirk Patrick

this thread (http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...45#post5685145) talks a little about the difference between the wx and x series

the consensus seems to be that the x has better components and better build, however, both the wx and x can deliver a very nice picture that is apparently virtually identical if tuned up nicely

if the rent-to-own deal is for an "off-rent" used unit i wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole, if it is new and you can get the x for 1300 or something new, get it

having looked at all these sets and read countless posts...i would say that hitachi and sony and panasonic are all about equal in quality, all of them have very passionate defenders, all of them put out great hd and dvd pictures

here is what i would do: get the best price between the sony and the x series panny

avoid the wx and anything that has been used as a rental

6. Robert Burr

Robert Burr Auditioning

While shopping I ran across an RCA D52W20 that was on and it had a great picture. I also ran across a RCA D52W19 but it wasn't on. How would these two stack up against the Sony?

7. Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.
    Insider

Gregg Loewen
    it doesnt....buy the Sony

8. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

Robert

The Sony is better than the Panasonic, and probably a lot better than the RCA. If you can afford it get the Sony. Why not have the best?

9. Robert Burr

Robert Burr Auditioning

So the Sony is better cause of the quality of its componets? Whats the deal I though RCA was a respectable brand?

10. John S

John S Producer

RCA has sunk to near bottom status over the past decade.

Maybe a Panny with nice extended warranty over the Sony without may be a better scenerio here????

11. Michael TLV

Michael Chen
    Greetings

The words RCA and reliability do not seem to know each other at all.

Regards

12. Kirk Patrick

rca=requires constant attention

i have an rca scenium dvd player/pvr and it's fantastic, works really well and produces a great recorded picture but i would never buy an rca tv, they just haven't proven that they can produce a consistently good tv

i agree with the posters who recommend sony, i think that in the area of display technology, experience counts, and sony has experience building not good but great tv technology

at 1170 for a new panny 53x54 i would be pretty tempted, but i'd probably go for the sony

if you are really interested plow through the threads on avsforum about the 53x54, the panny has some very enthusiastic advocates plus, its a 53 vs a 51

up here in canada, the sony can be had for a 200 less than the panny so the situation is reversed pricewise

good luck

13. Gregg Loewen

Insider

Gregg Loewen
    comparing the TVs on the sales floor...Id buy the Sony (as I have stated). If you are wanting to have your set professionally setup (adding $550 to the cost of the TV), I would chose the lesser priced of the 2 (if cost is an issue) meaning buy the Panny. If you are not too concerned about the few hundred extra in cost...Id buy the Sony and get that professionally setup. Either way I would avoide the GE / RCA set.

Hope that helped.

14. Travis_R

Travis_R Stunt Coordinator

Go for the Pioneer, Sony is garbage, Im not gonna argue with anyone here but sayin sony has better parts in it is like saying KLH speakers are better than Paradigm or Klipsch

15. Gregg Loewen

Insider

Gregg Loewen
    Travis, interesting post. Pioneer no longer makes crt RPTVs.

16. John S

John S Producer

Travis_R... That has to be one of the strangest posts I have seen to date on here.

Unless he buys used or at least an old refurbished, I just don't even see what Pioneer product that could even be reccomended in this case.

17. Travis_R

Travis_R Stunt Coordinator

Ahh my mistake, I meant Panasonic

18. Richard_T

Richard_T Second Unit

I just purchased the Sony KDF55XS955 and I couldn't be happier about it. To my eyes, the picture is sharper and clearer than the Panny by quite a bit. It also has allot of tweaking abilities that the Panny doesn't have. Also, it just plain looks better. I also looked at the Panasonic TVs (the PT-50DL54 to be specific) and I just found it didn't have the Picture quality I was looking for. That's just my 2 cents though.

19. Michael TLV

Michael Chen
    Greetings

Of course the TV's in question here are CRT RP units and not the much more expensive LCD units.

Regards

20. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

General consensus from here and AVS is that both can produce good pq, but the Panny will take more tweaking to achieve it.

I have the Sony's direct ancestor, a KP57HW40 that will be 4 years old in October. It's been perfectly reliable in that period of heavy use, has been easily tweakable to get rid of red push and scan velocity modulation in the service menu.

If I were making the choice between the Panny and Sony today I'd definitely choose the Sony even with the difference in price.