What's new

Panasonic reliability (1 Viewer)

Yan_P

Auditioning
Few weeks ago as I was quite minded on Hitachi TVs I was "talkin" (Actually he was just pushin' me) with a sales man and I have to agree that the TAU line has quite a nice image. But I'm a little affraid a Panasonic reliability since we had a few items home that had problems. So I was wondering how they are in TVs.

Matt Tucker

Agent
Real Name
Matt Tucker
Hello,
I worked in a VCR / television repair shop in early 90's. I was impressed by the quality of Panasonic. The Sony's were good, but you paid the extra arm or leg for the name. I would always recommend Panasonic to friends or relatives. My 1988 Panasonic 20" is still going with out a hic-up. My panasonic PV-4860 VCR from the same time period did die (power supply failure) about a year ago.
I don't have much recent experience with them. I purchased a KV-32FS16 over the Panasonic Flat screen recently (liked the features better).
A friend of mine has a 31" (I think) Panasonic from 4 or 5 years ago that failed once. A $100 repair and it is back. His Panasonic VCR that I helped his wife pick out for a Christmas present, has been doing fine for several years now.
Matt
------------------
Link Removed
DVD list

Lewis

Agent
In college 1985 I had a panasonic TV that was on constantly it lasted about ten years. I am disapointed with the Panasonic VCR I bought a couple of years ago. It won't record Ch2 in NJ. I brought it to the repair shop. They said it meets spec. I don't think its sheilded well and we have a lot of RF in the area.
------------------

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Panasonic direct-views usually rate quite high for reliability in Consumer Reports.
Hitachi rptvs are among the most reliable, they don't sell nearly as many direct views as panny or Sony.
About the only direct views with reliability problems worth worrying about are RCA, ProScan, Zenith and such.
I doubt if there's any reliability difference between Panasonic and Hitachi. If there is it's probably not significant enough to keep one from choosing solely on the basis of picture quality.
------------------
Steve S.
I prefer not to push the subwoofers until they're properly run in.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks