What's new

Panasonic Owners -- question on stretch modes... (1 Viewer)

Jeff Pounds

Second Unit
I'm about ready to (finally) make the leap to a 16:9 RPTV and am currently doing my research.

It looks to me like Panasonics are pretty good for the money, but I'm wondering how the stretch modes are?

From what I've seen, Sony and Toshiba offer the best stretch modes, and since my 4:3 regular TV watching to DVD watching ratio is about 50-50, good stretch modes will be important for the near future.

So for you Panny owners out there, how are the stretch modes on your units? Are they anywhere near as good as Toshiba and/or Sony?

Also, and ancillary question... I have DISH Network (PVR 508 receiver) and am wondering how it will look on a large screen. Right now I have a 27" Sony and definitly see some compression artifacts on my local channels and of course live sports events. However, the regualr "cable" channels like HBO and such look pretty good.

I'm wondering how "bad" the local channels and sports events will look blown up to a 57" 16:9 screen...

Thanks!

Manuel Parrado

Stunt Coordinator
To be honest, the stretch modes are something you get accostumed to rather quickly and most time it will not be a big problem. I have not compared my 53WX52 to other brands on that aspect but that was one of my issues going into buying an RPTV. Once I saw it in action in a store, it completely put all my fears to rest when I realized it was not very objectionable.
The best test is to go and watch for yourself. Go to a local furniture or electronics stores where they don't have a 16:9 feed cycling through the TV's. Tune in a local or cable channel and play with the stretch modes to see if it bothers you that much.

Good Luck.

Ken D.

Grip
I got used to Just mode in about 10 minutes, watching anything on a 4:3 tv drives me nuts now.

Evan Hartnett

Stunt Coordinator
I don't even notice the stretch anymore unless I'm looking for it. If you're watching something like CNN you can see on the ticker where the picture has been stretched, other than that it's barely noticable.

DanC

Stunt Coordinator
Jeff, put those fears to rest! I've had the Panasonic 53WX52 for a little over a week now and I hardly even notice it anymore. For regular television programming, I use the "Just" mode which is what Panasonic recommends. As Evan said, unless you're watching something with a news ticker at the bottom (CNN, FOX news, ESPN) then you don't even really notice it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks