What's new

Panasonic DVD-XP30S - $156.99, Good Deal? (1 Viewer)

Bill Geiger

Second Unit
I found this at a reliable online etailer that I have dealt with before. I have read that this player is VERY GOOD and is free of the chroma bug problem. Anyone else have this and can give some feedback?

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Bill, the 'XP30 and 'XP50 are built very well for the money, plus they look great. $157 sounds like a good price for the 'XP30. Panasonic players do not show the chroma bug, so all in all, I'd say the 'XP30 is a very good deal at $157. Of course, for a little more money, you could step up to the 'XP50, which does DVD-Audio. The 'XP50 seems to be difficult to find these days, however.

Bill Geiger

Second Unit
Thanks, I appreciate it. They have it at ubid.com for that price, plus $2 something for shipping. Hard to pass up!

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Bill, perhaps your experience has been different, but I've seen many comments through the years from folks who would not refer to ubid.com as "a reliable online etailer." Note that Ubid is not an authorized dealer. I've also heard of people having problems returning defective or damaged merchandise. Buyer beware.

Bill Geiger

Second Unit
I have received goods from their online superstore, not the auction site. Had zero problems. Guess I will see...but will still shop around.

However, I did find the Panasonic DVDRP62K at Onecall for $143.65... but wouldn't that be a step down?

Bill Geiger

Second Unit
"Bill, perhaps your experience has been different, but I've seen many comments through the years from folks who would not refer to ubid.com as "a reliable online etailer." Note that Ubid is not an authorized dealer. I've also heard of people having problems returning defective or damaged merchandise. Buyer beware."

Doesn't matter now.. someone jumped on it...lol

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Bill, I'm not sure that the 'RP62 would be much of a step down from the 'XP30. The 'RP62 and 'XP30 are comparable in terms of features, just as the 'RP82 and 'XP50 are. The XP models show better build quality and also have coaxial digital outputs, but they are quite similar on paper otherwise. A member here recently posted his observations upon comparing the 'RP82 and 'XP50 and in some regards preferred the 'RP82. You might want to search for that thread. I realize that you are looking at different models, but the information there might prove useful.

MikeSRC

Second Unit
Unfortunately, the XP models only have optical digital outputs, just like the RP-62. The RP-62 uses a different MPEG decoder than the XPs and has the CCS function turned on, so you might see some flickering in saturated colors. Most of the time though, depending on your display, you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference between the RP-62 and the XPs.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Mike, I thought the 'RP62 had a coaxial digital output, but I've never looked at one closely. My bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks