What's new

Panasonic DVD 56 or 91 (1 Viewer)

GaryCo

Agent
I am debating between the above dvd players. I bought a entry line model 5 months ago and i want to upgrade.
I have a old Pioneer 4:3 TV from a dozen years ago, i want to upgrade to a widescreen HDTV next year or a front projector.
I have no need for the dvd audio, how important is the upscaling and 30 pfs feature?
thanks
gary

David Susilo

Screenwriter
What do you mean by the 30fps feature?
I've compared the 56 and 91 before I finally bought one of them last month.
1. Yes the 91 is better than the 56
2. Yes the upconversion is good
However...
1. The 91 is not doubly better than the 56 (and the price of the 91 is more than double the 56)
2. I also have no need for DVD-A
So the price difference, IMHO, is not justified. I also have to inform you about my financial situation, though, maybe the price difference is chump change for you, then if money is no object, then go with the 91.
The other reasons I don't see the additional CAD$400 is not justified:
3. Just bought a house...
4. and its entire furniture
5. Just bought a 16:9 direct-view

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
David, although I am not an expert on the progressive-scan features or capabilities of the 'RP56 or 'RP91, my thinking is that if DVD-Audio is of no interest, then the 'RP56 at less than half the price of the 'RP91 should be sufficient. It still is too bad that Panasonic cancelled production of the DVD-RP61, which would have offered both progressive-scan output and DVD-Audio for $300.
You said:
The other reasons I don't see the additional CAD$400 is not justified:
3. Just bought a house...
4. and its entire furniture
5. Just bought a 16:9 direct-view
Sorry, but reasons 3 and 4 make you sound too practical. You mean to tell us that you bought a cheaper component because you bought a house and furniture? I'm not sure you belong here. Don't you know that home theater comes first?
wink.gif

------------------
My:
HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime

David Head

Second Unit
The Link Removed has been updated to include the Panasonic RP-56.
If you plan on purchasing a new Toshiba RPTV, you may not need the scaling feature of the RP91. Someone at Home Theater Spot did a comparison using his 50H81 of the scaling on an RP91 vs. using an RP56 and the TV's scaling. He reported that the TV did just as good a job.
David
[Edited last by David Head on September 30, 2001 at 09:20 PM]

David Susilo

Screenwriter
Keith,
LOL!!!
ON a more serious note, yes, I was also waiting to compare with the 61, but since (at the time) I've been waiting for too long, I bought the 56 and very extremely happy with it.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
David, I'm glad to hear that you are happy with the 'RP56. I am making a mental note of peoples' impressions of the lower-cost progressive-scan DVD players. Although I have no plans of buying an HDTV anytime soon, it would be nice to know that if I did, there would be at least one inexpensive progressive-scan DVD player I could buy (with 3:2 pulldown) that would perform well. The way progressive-scan technology seems to be changing so rapidly, I wouldn't want to sink too much money into a player right now. In another thread on this board, someone referred to the Sony DVP-S9000ES and Toshiba SD-9200 as "veritable dinosaurs". They aren't that old, and I always considered them to be very good. Such a statement and the general disappointment felt by many about the much-anticipated Denon DVD-2800 make me uneasy about spending a lot of money for progressive scan at this juncture.
------------------
My:
HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime

Han

Second Unit
quote: If you plan on purchasing a new Toshiba RPTV, you may not need the scaling feature of the RP91. Someone at Home Theater Spot did a comparison using his 50H81 of the scaling on an RP91 vs. using an RP56 and the TV's scaling. He reported that the TV did just as good a job.[/quote]
I can't make a direct comparison since I don't have a RP-91, but I can attest to the quality of the Toshiba 50H81's zoom mode (TW 2, I think). Non-anamorphic titles like Armageddon: Criterion and The Truman Show, look better than I expected using the TV's zoom. Better than what I've seen on a friend's Mitsubishi. It's no miracle and is still somewhat softer than an anamorphic DVD in Full Mode, but it helps a little in freeing up your choices of DVD players when you don't absolutely need a scaling prog player. On the other hand, Toshiba TVs have their own little problems that a small percentage of owners have experienced.
[Edited last by Han on October 01, 2001 at 04:25 PM]

Marc Alexander

Stunt Coordinator
Also,
The 56 has the Sage/Faroudja DCDi chip so the non-film deinterlacing is superior to the 91. Also, the 91 will comb on improperly encoded material where the 56 will not. I would get the 56 myself if not for the optical only digital output and the Sage CCS set too high which causes small flicker on some saturated colors.

David Susilo

Screenwriter
That's right. As an owner of 56 who had tested the 91, I can honestly say that the 91 IS in fact BETTER than the 56.
However...
the quality difference does not warrant the more-than-double price of the 91. It is not even close to doubling the picture quality, not even 50% better in picture quality.
But then again, if you have the budget to burn, I recommend the 91 all the way.

Art Miller

Stunt Coordinator
Hi all,
Is it really true that the Panasonic DRV-RP61 is not going to be released? It's still listed on their website, but a call to Pan this morning was useless. They said that it was not listed, but didn't have any more info.
Say it ain't so.
But, if it is, what do folks feel is a reasonable alternative to it, but cheaper than the DVD-RP91 (Street $417). I am interested in the DVD-A as well as the dual DD and dts decoders. How about the JVC SXV-SA70BK (street $250) or the JVC XV-D723GD (Street $300). The former is not listed on JVC's web site. Is it discontinued? I am keenly interested in the audio quality of the units, as this will replace my ageing Audio Alchemy transport.
thanks,
art

Bill_Mazz

Auditioning
Sound Advice, a local audio retailer, is already advertising the Panasonic DVD 61. It retails for $299. Hopefully it will use the Sage chip like the 56.

Wolf Jenkins

Stunt Coordinator
Hmm - anyone know about the 61? My Toshiba 6200 (reasonably happy with) may need a replacement :) and I'm looking for alternatives.
After owning both a Toshiba and a Panasonic DVD, I'm leaning to going back to a Panasonic...

Art Miller

Stunt Coordinator
Actually the MSRP of the DVD-RP61 is $350. There may be a number of places that advertise it or list it, but I've found none where it is actually available. Panasonic as of 10/3/01 tells me over the phone that this unit is "unreleased", with no further information. Their web site lists it as "coming soon".
If any dealers have any idea if and when it will be released, I'd like to hear about it. Otherwise, it seems as if the next best bet is the Toshibas (4700/5700) when they are released. I'm looking for DVD-A and DD/dts.
Don't be mislead by adds...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks