Panny DVD players with RP-56 de-interlacer but can zoom/squeeze non-anamorphic dvd?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris PC, Oct 12, 2002.

1. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Which Progressive Panasonic DVD players have the RP-56 de-interlacer and the zoom/shrink function of the RP-91 for use when playing non-anamorphic DVD's on 16:9? (or is it called Letter Box Zooming Shift?)

What is the 4:3 TV Zoom function?

I thought there were new Panasonic single and 5 disc players that had the de-interlacer of the RP-56 and the non-anamorphic zoom/squeeze function of the RP-91. Yes? No?

2. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

No.

I have a Panny CP72, 5 disc version of the RP82, and the 4/3 zoom will not zoom nonanamorphic letterbox dvds. I haven't been able to get the 4/3 zoom to work at all, whether I have the player set to 16/9 mode or 4/3 mode. The instruction manual states that this feature may not work on some dvds, and so far I haven't found one it would work on.

I too was hoping this would be a scaling feature but it isn't.

So far nobody makes a player with the Sage/Faroudja de-interlacer and a scaling feature.

I also have a JVC changer with the scaling feature and the Mediamatics de-interlacer. The scaling feature is nice and the picture quality is about as good on the vast majority of discs. Where the JVC falls down is on a few "problem discs" like Red Violin, and on video based discs such as many of the tv series dvds. It also doesn't do as good a job on the video based stuff in special features sections.

On nonanamorphic discs like The Abyss, that are properly flagged as such, the JVC scaling looks much better than the zooming of my widescreen tv.

What I've really been tempted to do is buy a component video switcher (my receiver lacks this capability and I need the second component input on my tv for HD) and use both players.

3. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Wow. I wonder why some company hasn't put together a boutique player with the the Sage/Faroudja de-interlacer and an MPEG decoder with the scaling feature. I wonder if you could take apart an RP-56 and an RP-91 and switch parts around. It would be way more complicated than that, but you get the idea. I guess we're lucky there aren't many non-anamorphic DVD's. I am more concerned with zooming LD and VHS widescreen anyways, but I guess I'd need an HTPC for that [​IMG]