What's new
World Wide Stereo

Panasonic BD85 vs PS3 (Slim) (1 Viewer)

Scott Quick

Agent
I'm having a hard time finding reviews to compare the two. Any thoughts?

Primarily, I'm interested in best quality video and using Netflix. We watch lots of standard DVD's, so good upconverting is a must.

So far my assertions are:

• BD85 is quieter than PS3 Slim
  • BD85 has a pretty fancy new upconverting scheme for standad DVDs - is it as good as the algorithms in the PS3?
  • PS3 obviously has versatility as a gaming box, although I'm an Xbox 360 fan and don't plan on investing much in PS3 games
  • PS3 has search capability on Netflix... not a likely upgrade for Vieracast on the BD85
  • I'm sure the PS3 has tons more upgradability for firmware and software fixes.
  • The cheap PS3 is $300 and the BD85 is $160-$180 with shipping, depending on the retailer
  • I'll need to purchase a good size flash memory card for the BD85 for decent disc load times ($25-30)
  • The PS3 is still quite a bit faster for disc loading (my understanding)
  • I also have an Xbox 360 (new one with HDMI output) so I have a good Netflix interface there
  • The BD85 is stackable on my equipment shelf, whereas PS3 is bigger and not stackable.

I appreciate your input for other considerations! Thanks in advance...
The big question is... Is the PS3 worth another $100?

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
The PS3 can do Netflix in HD and Dolby Digital Plus (up to 640kbps) on select titles, provided you have the internet bandwidth.

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
I own the ps3 slim. I also had at one time two differnt panasonic 85. the netflix on the panasonic for a non-game system is better then the sony or insignia. however it has a bdlive problem. it worked fine with netflix and veira cast. however the ps3 is more quiet then the 85. a least mine is. I would go with the ps3 slim.

more then happy to answer any more questions.

Jacob

Scott Quick

Agent
Originally Posted by TheBat

I own the ps3 slim. I also had at one time two differnt panasonic 85. the netflix on the panasonic for a non-game system is better then the sony or insignia. however it has a bdlive problem. it worked fine with netflix and veira cast. however the ps3 is more quiet then the 85. a least mine is. I would go with the ps3 slim.

more then happy to answer any more questions.

Jacob

Thanks, Jacob. Can you expand on the BDlive problem?

Any thoughts on the upscaling quality between the two? Or straight BD quality?

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
I had connection problems with the bdlive on the panasonic 85. I would have to eject or do the connection test on the bdlive to work. sometime it would work and other times it could not.

the blu ray HD is more or less the same on any player. oppo has the best dvd upconversion. I own two of those. I dont know if I could be fair between the ps3 and the panasonic.

Jacob

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bromleygarden
Recent bookmarks