What's new

pan and scan? (1 Viewer)

David Watt

Auditioning
I have bought a few wide-screen edition dvds. However my TV is 4:3. Thus the film is rather "small" on the tv.
I realised that my dvd player has a "pan and Scan" option which according to the manual allows the picture to "blow up" proportionately to fit my screen.
This option does not seem to work on my dvd. The picture remains small on my tv.
Have i forgotten to set something or does this option only work on specific dvds?

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
You don't say how big your TV is BTW...

Don't waste your time trying to play around with the P&S gimmicks. BAD BA D BAD :frowning:

Stick with how the home theater gods intended it to be viewed..W I D E S C R E E N!!

David Watt

Auditioning
I wanted to apply P&S as otherwise the picture would be too small to view from my couch.

I know of film buffs complaining of loss of as much as 55% of the original screen...etc with P&S, but i am ready to put up with it.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
This option does not seem to work on my dvd.
It doesn't work on any DVD player, because there are no DVDs that have been encoded for it. For various reasons (some technical, some artistic), no DVD producer has chosen to utilize this aspect of the DVD spec.

There have been a few titles that accidentally activated this feature, but that simply caused the player to blow up the image from the center and trim the sides.

As you may be aware, Home Theater Forum has an official policy favoring the presentation of films in their original aspect ratio (or "OAR"). So don't be surprised if you get some rather strong reactions when you ask for guidance here on panning and scanning.

M.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
You could always use your DVD palyers "Zoom" feature.

But for best results you'll need a bigger TV or move your current TV closer to the couch.

Nick Graham

Screenwriter
For what it's worth, I lived my first 1 and a half years of DVD with a 19" TV. Usually sitting 4-5 feet away. You get used to it. That "Zoom" button is evil, evil I say!

JawhnM

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jawhn MacCaine
I agree with Chris (closer or bigger TV).

I have to admit that widescreen kinda bugged me when I was watching on a 19" set (it's pretty small). If you have no plans to upgrade your TV you could just buy Full Screen versions (NO!! I DON'T BELIEVE I JUST SAID THAT!!).:angry: You will probably regret this later. However a lot of movies come with both versions. Don't use the ZOOM for regular watching, it blurs the picture.

AllanN

Supporting Actor
1. Sit closer.
2. Save Money.
3. Buy a bigger TV!

Just say no to MAR!!!!!

I to started out life watching DVD's on a 19 inch set, at about 5 feet and I still would not have it any other way. What sold me on OAR is when I watched my Star Wars OT LD's for the first time (on my 19” set mind you) and really saw what I was missing the whole time. Or though was just part of the SE's.

I now sit about 8’ away from my 47” set. :D

Welcome to the addiction.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
I've been watching P&S movies on like a 20 in TV for years. I think I will be shocked once I get my 8 ft screen & CRT up and running...

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Widescreen is the way, no doubt.

Many started out just like you and if they up-graded their display to a real widescreen set or large 4.3 RPT, good for them!

Aside from getting a new larger display, some DVD players have a zoom option as mentioned already. All ~{zooms are not equal}~!
Yes they all will degrade the picture to some extent and loose picture information from the sides.

That being said, some players have a much slower/smaller step up zoom than others. Going from the normal picture to a X 2 zoom is too much and will add picture degrading big time regardless of the player quality.

Some of the Toshiba players, JVC, and others I'm sure, offer up a much ~{smaller/slower step up zoom}~ which is nice for just your situation.
Flame suit on! ;)

Our older Toshiba SD-2200 had a nice slow/smaller step zoom.. Even on a 50" Sony RPT set, pic quaility when (1) step zoomed, was very good. On a 19" display I doubt all but the serious hardcore DVD viewers knowing what to look for, could tell much of a difference.

You might possibly look into a new or even or used player, ~{with a small/slow step zoom}~. This assuming you don't want to make a major $$$ dispaly purchase at this time and still want a bigger picture with your widescreen movies.

Regards
Geoff

HienD

Stunt Coordinator
My DVD player has that option and it works fine. picture quality is not degraded much. 2.35:1 get upped to 1.66:1. and 1.66:1 get upped to 4:3. I don't use it though. I rather sit closer to the tv then have half the picture taken off. I have a 24" toshiba flatscreen by the way.

DeepakJR

Second Unit
Real Name
Deepak
Thats the worse question to ask in this forum....just sit closer. For a few years I sat 10 feet from my 27" 4:3 tv and didnt complain. I see no reason to bastardize a movie for this reason.

L8rz,
Deepak Jr.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks