What's new

Pamela Anderson Discloses Hepatitis C Infection (1 Viewer)

Michael D. Bunting

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Former "Baywatch" beauty Pamela Anderson said on Wednesday she has contracted the potentially fatal liver disease Hepatitis C by sharing a tattoo needle with ex-husband Tommy Lee.

Link Removed

Anderson, 34, whose barbed-wire tattoo rings her left arm, said in a statement she has been undergoing outpatient treatment for the disease at the University of California, Los Angles Medical Center.
"I contracted Hepatitis C while sharing a tattoo needle with my ex-husband Tommy Lee," she said.
"Tommy has the disease and never disclosed it to me during our marriage," said Anderson, who is embroiled in a child custody battle with Lee, the former drummer for the hard-rock band Motley Crue.
Neither Lee, 39, nor his publicist was immediately available for comment.
The former Playboy Playmate, who also stars in the syndicated TV series "V.I.P.," is seeking full custody of her two children with Lee, whom she divorced in 1998 following his arrest for hitting her.
Lee pleaded no contest to a felony charge of spousal abuse for striking Anderson in the driveway of their Malibu home in February of that year and was sentenced to six months in jail and three years' probation.
In April 1999, the Canadian-born Anderson said they were attempting a reconciliation, but the couple parted ways again. Most recently, Anderson has been dating recording star Kid Rock.
Hepatitis C is a virus that results in inflammation, then scarring of the liver, a condition known as cirrhosis. In 20 percent of cases, the virus ultimately leads to liver failure and death, said Dr. Samuel Daniel, a leading expert on the disease at North General Hospital in Manhattan.
He said Hepatitis C, the most serious form of Hepatitis, is contracted primarily through the sharing of contaminated intravenous needles. He said if Anderson shared tattoo needles with someone who was infected, she was "highly likely" to contract the virus.
The disease kills about 8,000 people annually in the United States, and about 3.9 million Americans are believed to be infected with the virus, which often lies dormant for up to 10 years. Many people do not realize they have been infected until the virus is identified in a blood test.
"This is a silent epidemic," he said. "We believe by 2010, we may have up to 30,000 to 39,000 people a year die of this disease."
He said up to 46 percent of Hepatitis patients can be successfully treated with recent advances in medication administered for the disease.

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
Hepatitis C is a virus that results in inflammation, then scarring of the liver, a condition known as cirrhosis. In 20 percent of cases, the virus ultimately leads to liver failure and death, said Dr. Samuel Daniel, a leading expert on the disease at North General Hospital in Manhattan.
As I know a little about Hep C, I would point out that I think that is a bit of an exaggeration.

From my understanding, it is approximately 20% of affected people who actually exhibit symptoms. Of that 20%, about half can be successfully treated with drugs such as Interferon. Of those for whom drug treatment is ineffective, many of the more serious cases can be treated via liver transplant. I believe the fatality rate is closer to about 5%.

Keep in mind also that about 80% of those infected will never become symptomatic for their entire lives.

I can also tell you this: I work in Disability claims and have done so for the past several years. I have never seen a claim where a person has died from Hep C.

Micah Cohen

Screenwriter
My upcoming outpouring of sympathy, compassion, understanding and pity for Pammy is sure to be overwhelming.

MC

LDfan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeffrey
Hepatitis C is a very long term and chronic illness. It takes years for it to take it's effect on the body. This is the worst of the Hepatitis illnesses with Hep B a close second. At least with Hep B there is a vaccination, with C there isn't.

Jeff

brian a

Second Unit
Maybe you don't see sharing a tat needle as dangerous, but I can assure you that it is. It's completely reasonable that she contracted the disease this way.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
I think we're all wondering whether the "tatoo" needle was just a convienent (and legal) excuse for lets say more "recreational drugs use" ;)
I don't find any attraction to her anyway, she's not that hot in my book.
Jay

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
This is the worst of the Hepatitis illnesses with Hep B a close second. At least with Hep B there is a vaccination, with C there isn't.
Also incorrect.
While there is a vaccination for Hep B and not for C, for those already infected with Hep B, the liklihood of becoming symptomatic and the fatality rate are both much higher.
I found a website that appears to be relatively accurate (Centre for Disease Control) and you can access it here. It provides info on all variations of hepatitis.
It appears that even I overstated in my last post, as they list the fatality rate from Hep C at less than 3%.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Not that I normally follow the gossip of celebs...

Tommy is saying this is a ploy in a nasty custody battle between the two. I believe Tommy has released a doctors lab test showing he is free from Hep (guess he went to a lab yesterday in response to the news articles).

It's sad when this type of shit happens. It is certainly one thing when two people who were married fall out- it gets ugly and heartbreaking because children are involved-- but celebrities take this to a whole new level because they have access to the press.

Add to that mixture the fact that we're dealing with essentially less than ideal "celebrities"- some shy away from airing their laundry in the public eye... but Tommy and Pam are pretty well kown for being a bit less tasteless in their dealing with their "celebrity" status. The phrase "train wreck" comes immediately to mind.

I forsee this nonsense going back and forth in the public eye for a while.

I think they're both idiots.

-Vince

Bhagi Katbamna

Supporting Actor
To clear up any information(misinformation) here let me add this:

About 80% of people that have been exposed to hep C will develop inflammation of the liver. Most infected people should be treated if they have detectable viral levels in the blood stream. People that have a history of trying to committ suicide or have untreated depression should not be treated due to the side effects of the treatment.

The treatment is successful in approximately 50-60% and can depend on the type of hep C virus. Usually the only symptom most people with HCV have is fatigue. So treatment should not depend on if symptoms are present.

John_Bonner

Supporting Actor
Maybe you don't see sharing a tat needle as dangerous, but I can assure you that it is. It's completely reasonable that she contracted the disease this way.
I don't disagree that sharing a tattoo needle is dangerous, I just have a hard time believing that's how she contracted the disease.

Michael D. Bunting

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
I actually met Pamela Anderson in the summer of 93' - just after I graduated high school - at a baseball game in Kansas City, MO (of all places!).

She was very polite and signed autographs for probably 50 folks who recognized her...and at that time anyway, was the most beautiful woman I had ever laid my eyes upon.

This was when Baywatch had just started to become popular.

Too bad she just went downhill from that point on...she was truly beautiful - before the numerous BOOB JOBS, BAD MOVIES, and run-ins w/ Tommy Lee.

Oh well...

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
Speaking as someone who has had Hep C since 1989 (blood transfusion) and who has never been symptomatic, the misinformation being perpetuated in this thread is becoming a bit annoying.

I encourage people to do research on the subject.

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
So did Tommy and Pamela make their tatoos themselves, or was there some dark alley tatoo artist who used the same needle on both?

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
I should clarify something that I may have poorly worded earlier.
I do agree that whether or not a person is exhibiting symptoms is not necessarily a good indicator of how active the disease is in their system. Periodic blood work should be conducted and reviewed with a physician.
Fortunately, after 13 years with it, my liver enzyme tests remain normal. :)

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
If it is true that she got it from Tommy and he never disclosed that he had Hep C, can he be held criminally liable? (Similar to someone with AIDS having sex with an unknowing partner.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks