1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

P&S DVD Widescreen Broadcast/Cable

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by wally, Sep 28, 2001.

1. wally

wally Second Unit

I find it interesting that there is an almost weekly uproar over P&S titles being released by various studios at the same time widescreen presentations are becoming more and more evident on cable and the networks. Sopranos, Band of Brothers (HBO), The Abyss (Encore) and last nights ER on NBC. ER even had a cool little graphic advertising the fact that it was being broadcast “widescreen”.
    What’s up?
    [​IMG]
    ------------------
    [Edited last by wally on September 28, 2001 at 12:31 PM]

2. Larry Schneider

Larry Schneider Second Unit

The networks are formatting their programming for eventual HDTV presentation in 1.78:1. Unfortunately, they are, in some instances, cropping 2.35 films to 1.78 as well.

3. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

About half of ER last season was broadcast in widescreen. It started out as a 2 episode trial in November and they ended up broadcasting the rest of the season this way when they didn't get many complaints. NBC is also going to broadcast West Wing in widescreen.

4. AaronMK

AaronMK Supporting Actor

Aaron Karp
    Enterprise was broadcast in 1.78:1. I was very happy to see this. You could tell on many shots that they were not composing with 4:3 in mind.
    ------------------
    My DVD's
    If a movie is not available in OAR, than it might as well not be available at all.

5. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Cinematographer

It's great. Angel was 1.78:1, I'm expecting Buffy to be shown that way this season too. I'm really hoping that Roswell is though.
    ------------------
    Kyle³
    ------------------
    Yahoo Messenger - digitalkyle

6. TomRS4

TomRS4 Stunt Coordinator

7. David Susilo

David Susilo Screenwriter

Can you guys help me out by listing what shows are recorded in 16:9 aspect ratio? (Other than Startrek, Buffy and Angel, of course)

8. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    I don't know if there is an HDTV version of TCM, but they're REALLY good about showing movies in the proper ratios.
    It's not their fault, but some ancient or other studio transfers are cropped or open matte.
    TCM showed The Hudsucker Proxy in 1.85:1 matted, but showed Around the World in Eighty Days cropped to 1.33:1 (it's not their fault, only 2 TV transfers have ever been made of the film, hopefully one for Lowry Digital Images soon!)
    TCM is soooo much better than AMC which hardly shows matted films or widescreen films other than Hitchcock.
    ------------------
    P.S.: There's no P.S.

9. Brett Cameron

Brett Cameron Stunt Coordinator

AMC shows a lot of widescreen films, but they are not uncut like TCM.

10. richard plumb

richard plumb Stunt Coordinator

11. TomRS4

TomRS4 Stunt Coordinator

David,
    Here are some of the TV shows that are shot in 16:9 (please note that most of these are shown 4:3 unless you are watching the HD feed): The Young and the Restless; The King of Queens; Yes, Dear; Ellen; Family Law; Jag; The Guardian; Judging Amy; Dharma & Greg; Spin City; Philly; Wolf Lake; My Wife and Kids; Drew Carey; CSI; The Agency; Danny; That’s Life; Thieves; Once and Again; Touched by an Angel; The District; Alias; The Practice; NYPD Blue; ER; Band of Brothers; The Sopranos; X-Files. I'm sure there are more.
    ------------------
    Tempus Fugit
    [Edited last by TomRS4 on September 29, 2001 at 08:51 AM]

12. Jason Merrick

Jason Merrick Supporting Actor

Jason Merrick

13. Derek Miner

Derek Miner Screenwriter

NBC showed the premiere episode of "Crossing Jordan" in 16:9 a la "ER" last week.
    = Derek =