What's new

Ozone generators-anyone have one? (1 Viewer)

Scott Strang

Screenwriter
I've been seriously considering getting one but since they're expensive ($400 for a true Ozone producing unit) I would like to know if anyone here has used one.

The one I'm wanting has a "blast mode" available to kill any kind of spores, mold, etc. It also requires (for obvious reasons) that anything that you don't want dead

not be in the same room when it's in the blast mode.

Since I live in Louisiana, it seems like a worthwhile purchase.

Adil M

Supporting Actor
Sharper Image has their air filter/ ozone filter. I tried and returned it b/c it

A. made the air smell (it's supposed to be the smell of clean air)

B. gave me headaches (too much ozone)

C. Didn't do a damn thing.

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
I have an ozone generator...what a stupid mistake! All the advertising is a bunch of pseudoscience horse-poop. Ozone is a poison, and you don't want ANY of that stuff in your house, or anywhere else except in the ozone layer of the atmosphere.
Don't believe the advertising...it is all a scam. I have mine in storage, as I have no way of returning it. Could be useful if I decide to do some scientific experiments with my lungs...like: What does tubercolosis feel like? And, how do I simulate an asthma attack?
Ozone link to asthma
There are no positive health affects from such a unit, whatsoever.

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
More information that can help you with your decision:
Home Energy Magazine Online November/December 1998:
Ozone Out for Indoor Air Cleaners
An alternative could be to get a dehumidifier and/or replace the air filter in your air conditioner. I imagine it is extremely humid where you live, so a dehumidifer could be extremely helpful in keeping the fungi/mold down.
Right now in Calgary it is below zero outside, and the indoor humidity is about 20%...mold is not a problem here!

Scott Strang

Screenwriter
Max Leung Calgary, Alberta, Canada emitted these very words....
I have an ozone generator...what a stupid mistake! All the advertising is a bunch of pseudoscience horse-poop. Ozone is a poison, and you don't want ANY of that stuff in your house, or anywhere else except in the ozone layer of the atmosphere.
Don't believe the advertising...it is all a scam. I have mine in storage, as I have no way of returning it. Could be useful if I decide to do some scientific experiments with my lungs...like: What does tubercolosis feel like? And, how do I simulate an asthma attack?
Ahhhhhh, sounds good. ;) Where I work we have to get TB tests once a year.
I knew that ozone is poison, but I figured you could leave for the day, this thing could run for 10 mins and the house be cleared by the time you get home. Guess not.
I have heard ozone warnings for larger cities on TV before.

Scott Strang

Screenwriter
Max and other HTF readers;
I appreciate you're input and URL links; all great info.
I've decided not to buy one. To be honest, it's surprising to me that they're not more regulated by the Feds. You know how they love passing new laws.
Now I can take that $400 and piss it away on something I really want, like more DVD's. :D

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Hey no problem! You probably also saved a few sick days on top of the $400. :)
Have fun with your DVDs!

Scott Strang

Screenwriter
Speaking of ozone, a lot of people here probably remember Nelson Pass of Threshold fame and now of Pass Labs.

Back in the early 80's he demoed a speaker he called Ion Cloud at some of the audio shows. Supposedly it sounded fantastic but had the unfortunate side effect of creating ozone while it played. It was also very inefficient(sp).

From what I read, Mr. Pass had some health problems following the shows that resulted in him not being to use a photocopier for several days.

It's been years, but this is what I can remember.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks