What's new

Directors Overrated bands (1 Viewer)

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
Pink Floyd - They don't totally blow, but much of their stuff doesn't hold up very well over time for me. And weak lyrics.
:eek:
This is, without a doubt, the first time that I have EVER heard either of these criticisms directed at Pink Floyd! I mean not liking their music is one thing, but to say they have weak lyrics? :rolleyes:Floyd is known for having some of the best lyrics of ANY Rock band in history! This reputation is DESERVED!
And their stuff doesn't hold up very well over time? Is this a joke? How many years (or maybe I should say DECADES) was Dark Side of the Moon on the Billboard charts? Their music holds up incredibly well, to say the least!:emoji_thumbsup:

Jim_F

Screenwriter
I agree with some of the above, and disagree very much with others (The Beatles and FZ are off limits) The Rolling Stones, Aerosmith, Oasis and U2 have earned their mention in this thread, but possibly the very, very worst, most awful, useless, boring crummy band ever to receive airplay, ever, could be:
Smash Mouth

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Jon_Are and I are on the same wavelength as to understanding what I meant about overrated acts. Thought I think I like Floyd a bit more than he does, they are way overrated.

Smash Mouth, though I don't like them at all, are not overrated, because people accept them for what they are: a silly, fun disposable pop group. No one hails them as musical geniuses, and they aren't. The same holds for boy/girl bands and the like: sure they suck, but everyone knows that. No one actually thinks Brittney Spears is a gifted musician. Therefore, not overrated.

For the record, I do like some of the Beatles stuff. Rubber Soul, Revolver, Sgt Pepper, Abbey Road, and Magnificent Magestical Tour (or whatever it's called) are great pop albums.

What's really overrated is the Beatles members' solo stuff. Wings' music was mediocre at best, and Imagine is, I'm sorry, just laughable.

Groups like Rush and Zappa I may contend with. Though they have large cult followings, they are all but forgotten by most and derided by as many people who adore them. For every obsessive Rush fan, there are two who hate them.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
I'm very disturbed by this thread. No really, I wonder about you people sometimes.....
What is it that disturbs you exactly?
As far as the Beatles, I think we also have to keep in perspective what we're comparing. If someone says the Beatles are the best chefs in the world, then yes they're overrated. But in terms of being overrated as a band, for the music, no. If you think they're overrated in some non-musical sense, fine, but that's not what this thread is about (based on the thread title).
As far as their solo careers, well, first of all what they did as solo artists is really irrelevant to them as a band, so I don't think that justifies calling the Beatles overrated. As far as their solo work, I disagree that they're overrated, but I can certainly understand why some people might feel that way. If someone tried to tell me that Ringo's Rotogravure was better than Elvis Costello's My Aim is True, then that person is certainly overrating Ringo. But, frankly, even the most die hard Beatle fans don't think that. :)

DonaldB

Supporting Actor
1. The Beatles....Not the greatest band of all time. Not a great band. Not a good band. I used to think they were at best mediocre, but after a recent reevaluation of their music I find that that initial assessment was much too generous.

I recommend that any member of the Mop Top Anti-defamation League wishing to muster yet another tortured defense of his heroes go start a thread for that purpose in the music forum and not let this poll degenerate into a Beatles suck/No they don't/Yes they do/No they don't, you goddamn moron fiasco.

Some others in no order:

Radiohead

Eric Clapton

Aerosmith

Matchbox 20

Cream

Grateful Dead

Dave Matthews Band

Nirvana

Tool

Pearl Jam

Wallflowers

Ben Folds Five

Smashing Pumpkins

Black Crows

U2

Metallica

Led Zeppelin

Rush

Santana

Slade

The Go-Betweens

The Mekons

The Jam

MC5

ELP

ELO

Genesis

King Crimson

Dixie Dregs

Joe Satriani

Yngwie Malmsteen

Steve Vai

Al DiMeola

Modern Jazz Quartet

Duke Ellington

Frank Sinatra

Dean Martin

Mel Torme

Barbara Steisand

Bette Midler

Babyface

Mannheim Steamroller

Whitney Houston

Mariah Carey

George Harrison

John Lennon

Paul McCartney

Wings

As pointless as polls like this are, the adolescent kvetcher in me just can't stay away.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
1. The Beatles....Not the greatest band of all time. Not a great band. Not a good band. I used to think they were at best mediocre, but after a recent reevaluation of their music I find that that initial assessment was much too generous.
I recommend that any member of the Mop Top Anti-defamation League wishing to muster yet another tortured defense of his heroes go start a thread for that purpose in the music forum and not let this poll degenerate into a Beatles suck/No they don't/Yes they do/No they don't, you goddamn moron fiasco.
Your first paragraph is an unelaborated, yet long stating of your opinion about an overrated band. Perfectly appropriate in this thread. Your second paragraph says if anyone disagrees, go post elsewhere. Sorry, that won't fly. You want to call the Beatles overrated, fine. You don't expect others to disagree? :frowning:
I don't even know how to debate this with you since you state no reason for your opinion. All you have done is listed a long list of some very good, and some not so good musicians you don't like. And of course, you don't want to debate, hence your second paragraph.
Your list is kind of funny though. It inspires me to envision similar lists (I'm not saying these are your opinion, necessarily, although I wouldn't be surprised :))
Most overrated classical composers:
Beethoven
Mozart
Bach
Dvorak
Cage
Tchaikovsky
Stravinsky
Most overrated movies:
Citizen Kane
Casablanca
Rear Window
The Godfather
Most overrated writers:
Shakespeare
Hemingway
James Joyce
Charles Dickens
:) :) :)

DonaldB

Supporting Actor
I don't even know how to debate this with you since you state no reason for your opinion. All you have done is listed a long list of some very good, and some not so good musicians you don't like. And of course, you don't want to debate, hence your second paragraph.
Uh, you're not supposed to debate it here with me, though I do love to debate! Again, this is just a poll, one where all should feel free to list whomever ever they like without being pressed for an explanation by some indignant fan. Take it to the Music Forum.
Oh, and I don't like Dvorak, Tchaikovsky, Casablanca, Rear Window, and Hemingway. :)

Brad_W

Screenwriter
I would disagree with whomever said Dream Theater is over-rated because first and foremost they are Berkley Graduates of Music (well, most of them any way) and they are of the rare few that actually know their instrument. Second, they can't really be over-rated since they have barely any air-time both radio-wise and television-wise. Their fan base is usually musicians and loyal listeners.
It's hard to be over-rated when you are not even popular or rarely heard of.

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
As for the lame lyrics, I'll leave you with this:
quote: Come on you target for faraway laughter, come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!.....Come on you raver, you seer of visions, come on you painter, you piper, you prisoner, and shine!
It is very ironic to me that you would quote the above lyrics to prove that Pink Floyd has weak lyrics! I think those lyrics are GREAT!
Only goes to show how people opinions can be different! Of course, in this case, you are WRONG and I am RIGHT!
:D

DonaldB

Supporting Actor
I'll pretend I didn't hear that.
Then I'll say it again. ;)
Smashing Pumpkins.
Not merely an overrated band, but one that's gratingly pretentious, derivative, oh so meagerly talented and whose albums are produced with the most obnoxious compression.
Damn, I just gave an explanation that would've been better suited for the Music Forum. :frowning:

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
I'm chiming in a little late for this one, but I must second (or, rather, third) what our friend George Kaplan said about The Beatles. It's impossible for the greatest band of all time--my goodness, the very band that created the modern concept of a rock band, not to mention that altered the very course of our history--to be "overrated."

As for me, Pearl Jam. What on Earth sells these guys? Vedder's faux angst and "pain" re being a rock star grate at my nerves--almost as much as does Bono's sophomoric "philosophizing."

Adil M

Supporting Actor
Now I love the Beatles and they are not overrated, but some of you zealots think they created the internet or something. Let me tell you something, Al Gore did.. I mean they are good and influenced rock, but they are not the originators.

This thread is just a way to take cheap shots at a lot of groups you don't like or care to understand. Listen to who you like. Who cares about ratings?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks