What's new

Outlaw's response to hiss complaints? (1 Viewer)

Andrew_Ballew

Second Unit
You don't seem to get it. For those of us still waiting to get our 950s, we don't want to get one with hiss
I think you will probably be dissapointed, depending on what kind of hiss you are talking about. As I stated in my previous post, you are going to get some hiss with most all equipment. No doubt you will be able to put your ear close to your speakers' tweeters and hear hiss with the Outlaw. You can do the same with my Rotel 1066, and every other piece of audio equipment I have owned. Now, if it is true that this hiss is really extending out farther into the listening area like some are claiming, that is indeed an issue to be concerned about.

Cheers

Andrew B.

W

Will

when reading a review from S&V pay attention only to the negative stuff like the noise but ignore anything positive.
Jed M
I agree with that statement.
The hiss in the 950 in many people's HT systems is noticably louder than what was heard from what the 950 replaced. In my case, the cheap Sony receiver I used as a pre/pro was quieter, with regard to the hiss.

Jed M

Senior HTF Member
Will, I am glad we agree.
Jed, You don't seem to get it.
Bruce, You were saying something about demeaning and uncalled for?
Lewis, I am sorry but I disagree. I think you are in the minority. Unless of coarse you are talking about hiss without an inactive input after you change it from 80 to 79. I am not trying to demean anybody. I am saying that for the majority of the owners of the 950 to create a hiss they have to do stuff that would never apply in real listening conditions. I know that some people have a hiss as far as 9 feet away that is a major problem and I sincerely hope that the Outlaws addresses this problem soon. :emoji_thumbsup:
Edited for punctuation

BruceD

Screenwriter
Andrew,

I think you will probably be dissapointed, depending on what kind of hiss you are talking about.
Wake up!!! The only type of hiss worth talking about is that heard from more than a few feet away to the listening position. I've heard nobody really complain about hiss with your ear up to the speaker.

I don't know about your setup, but mine is dead silent even with the volume at reference level.

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
Check that, sometimes I can hear hiss from more than two feet away. If a Millennium 2.4.6 DTS decoder can be about the quietest product I've ever encountered and be in my system, and then exchange it for the Model 950 and have it really hiss in comparison then it does get me wondering.

Is this a product of poorer shielding in certain pathways, a grounding problem, or noisy transformer or power supply on the part of the Model 950? Low tolerance chips?

The part that interested me about the S&V review (even though they've never met a product they didn't like) was in fact the benchmark tests that proved this out.

Dan

Dan Baxter

Agent
I hear his from about 4 inches away with my old Yamaha receiver + amp. I consider this normal and would never complain about it. On my Outlaw 950 I could hear hiss from 9 feet away. I actually measured this with a tape measure. I do not consider this to be normal. I'm confident that the Outlaws will fix this problem. However, over the past few weeks I have noticed strange problems locking digital formats. I have switched from a DTS source to a PCM source and the Outlaw display appears to be in PCM however no audio is heard. I had to push the sound mode button a few times to get sound. This seems to be completely random. I have also noticed poping noises during movies. The other night while watching Magnolia through out the movie I experienced faint pops. I've never had this problem with my old setup. The only thing changed was adding a 950. Has anyone else ever experienced poping from there 950? They almost seems like droped bits that dosn't cause the Outlaw to completley loose the digital lock.

Dan

David Werner

Stunt Coordinator
Sound & Vision just did a review of a Model 950 and it benchmarked with very high noise levels (even worse than a low priced receiver).
. I have felt based on the initial feedback that the OUTLAW was the way to go (bang for the buck). Did some of the beta testers experience the problems initially encountered with the early 950's? Well no, but OUTLAW did reply to those problems. Based on their quick response to these problems, it seems out of the ordinary that nothing is commented about the digital lock, hiss issues, etc.. I am just a person who has been without his hometheater for too long and doesn't have money to burn on a Anthem 20, etc.. What does $950 dollars get me? Well I hope what OUTLAW originally intended to deliver.

Andrew_Ballew

Second Unit
Wake up!!! The only type of hiss worth talking about is that heard from more than a few feet away to the listening position. I've heard nobody really complain about hiss with your ear up to the speaker.

I don't know about your setup, but mine is dead silent even with the volume at reference level.
I do not appreciate the insult of my intelligence. Although it is true that it is difficult to ascertain the emotion behind someone's posting, it seems to me that your posts are filled with a lot of anger, prejudice and arrogance, and indeed you are the one who is sounding demeaning.

If you "wake up", and read my posts, you will find that I am in total agreement. If there is hiss that extends beyond a few inches from the tweeter, it is a problem- a problem that I myself would consider unacceptable.

As far as my system goes, I do not have a junky system as your post seems to imply. Unfortunately I can hear hiss and a slight degree of hum on analog sources within 4-6 inches of my speakers, 1-2 inches on digital sources. If I disengage the Rotel RSP-1066, the hum completely disappears, and you can only hear hiss if you actually cap you ear right on the tweeter.

I have no intention of getting in a pissing contest with you or anyone else, so that is the last I will say regarding your manner of posting- I imagine if you post like that in regards to others, I am not the only one you have pissed or will piss off around here.

Andrew B.

Jed M

Senior HTF Member
I am saying that for the majority of the owners of the 950 to create a hiss they have to do stuff that would never apply in real listening conditions. I know that some people have a hiss as far as 9 feet away that is a major problem and I sincerely hope that the Outlaws addresses this problem soon.
David, next time you want to finish my statement just fully quote me instead taking one of my sentences out of context so it appears you are correcting me, thanks :emoji_thumbsup:

Jed M

Senior HTF Member
David, no animosity was meant by that. That why I gave you a :emoji_thumbsup: I just don't want my quotes to create a larger fire than they already have. :)

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
Hi guys
Ive had the oportunity to listen to 4 different 950s in 4 different environments. No hiss / no floor noise, just awesome sound from a reasonably priced unit :)
Regards
Gregg

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Gregg- That doesn't mean that the hiss doesn't exist for other people in other environments... :)
S&V's review seems to backup the few that do have a real problem.

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
I tested a 950 in my own home for about an hour and my unit was perfect. I didn't specifically test for hiss because from my normal listening position, I heard nothing. I have an Anthem AVM-20 and normal hiss from the tweeter cannot be heard outside of 3 inches or so away. This I consider normal. If I can hear it from 18-24 inches away, then I would consider it problematic.

I feel for those who have this problem. There is nothing worse than waiting for a product, especially one of this type of hype, then finding out it is flawed but not being able to solve the problem.

I'm surprised Outlaw hasn't done an instant recall of any units who's owners have even a slight case of this problem.

W

Will

If you hear hiss from 2 inches, that's not worth mentioning. Nobody is concerned about a 2 inch hisser. But many people hear hiss from many feet away, including me, and that's a hiss-horse of a different hiss-color.

TomH

Second Unit
I enjoy my 950 and do not plan to return it. However, after all the hype about performance I was suprised when I was able to confirm the exact hiss issue reported by others. I can only hear it if my ear is 6 to 12" from the speaker but my son can detect it from about 3'.
It is still a great HT pre/pro for the money but it cannot live up to the hype or be seriously considered as competition for units costing two or three times as much until the issue is resolved.

Tom

Jeff_M

Stunt Coordinator
Hissing at any distance is a pet peave of mine. My heart goes out to any 950 owner who has a problematic unit. I briefly owned a H/K Signature DD/DTS preamp that was silent from the listening position, but had a hiss within a foot of the speakers. Completely unacceptable! Reminds me of an old record player. It's not like the Outlaw is a budget JVC receiver, it's a freakin separate! Anyone who says that people shouldn't care about hissing within a couple of feet of their speakers has a terrible case of low expectations.

Patrick R. Sklenar

Second Unit
Jeff_M,
{sigh} Please point me to one post where someone said
... hissing within a couple of feet of their speakers ..
is acceptable? :confused:
I'll admit, between HTF, the Saloon, AVS, HTT, DTF & HTG, I've not had time to read every thread. But! I've not seen a single post suggesting that hiss heard from any distance (other than with ones ear held up to the tweeter - which is as non-real world as you can get) is acceptable. What I have seen is a significant number of people reporting that they don't hear any hiss at any distance from their speakers. Whether this is due to the hardware combinations in their systems or a problem with some 950's remains to be determined (at least as far as I know, I've not heard that it's been "solved").

BruceD

Screenwriter
I've heard enough people (more than 6 people) complain about hiss multiple feet from their speakers to cause me concern.

This is not a lacking feature, but a basic defect that impacts the sound quality. Whether it's a specific part or manufacturing issue I don't care, I just hope they identify it quickly and announce that they have solved it.

I just don't want to be one of those people who happen to get a noisy 950 and have to go through the hassle of returning it till I get a good one.

Here's hoping the Outlaws identify the cause quickly.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
I absolutely agree.
This never fails. Someone complains of an audible hiss at listening position. Inevitably someone else will chime in to say that no system is dead quiet, and then proceed to explain why a hiss @ 1 in. is different from a hiss @ 9 ft. Really? Now why don't you tell me something I don't know? :rolleyes
Before people reply, they should perhaps stop to consider what exactly the complaint is about.
I too have been waiting for the 950, and will not be getting it unless a definite answer to this problem is found. Yes, I mean the 9ft one, not the 1 incher. Yes, I know that is the one that matters, not the one incher. Having established that on behalf of all those who complain about hisses, past, present and future, let's move on.
--
Holadem

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks