What's new

Outlaw, NAD, B&K, or Rotel? (1 Viewer)

Mike_Mo

Auditioning
I need to buy a new A/V preamp and amp but I'm on the fence. I've heard the B&K and liked the sound. I've owned NAD and like the sound and reliability. I heard great stuff about Rotel but I like the price of Outlaw.

Is Outlaw just as good as B&K Ref 50/200.7 or NAD 163/973 or Rotel 1066/1095?

Thanks,
Mike

ChrisHeflen

Supporting Actor
There all so different.

Keep in mind that Rotel is replacing the 1066 and
Sherwood Newcastle has a new promising Pre-pro coming out.

Ted Pugh

Stunt Coordinator
B&K Ref. 50 and 200.7 amp. I am partial to B&K amps. They have a ton of head room and sound almost tube like. Very warm sounding and contrary to public opinion if they are well ventilated they do not run hot. I keep my 200.5 on all the time and it does not heat up to high levels. I also almost bought the Ref. 50 but I purchased the Aragon Stage One for an incredible deal I could not pass up.

ChadLB

Screenwriter
Mike,
I am looking at some of the Pre-Pros you listed also.
Remember the Outlaw is like 2 years old now but still considered a great product.
If you can listen to them all great.
I usually base my decisions on sound, features, price, and looks.
I am going to hopefully look at the Rotel 1066 and some of the NAD's tomorrow.
I don't think anyone locally carries the B&K in my area and hopefully in Feb someone might bring the 950 over for me so I can give it a test drive.

Mike_Mo

Auditioning
Thanks for all the comments.

Good point about the 950. I didn't realize the technology was two years old. I've had the same reservations about the Ref 50. It too seems to have been out for about 2 years.

I'm very intrigued with the Sherwood Newcastle and I like the fact NAD is new technology.

Please let me know what your thoughts are regarding the NAD and Rotel after auditioning both.

Thanks,
Mike

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Mike:

I have had the Outlaw Audio 950 and 770 poweramp for a little over a year now with nothing but good results from them since day one. For the price they are really hard to beat. Having gone the separates route I won't be going back to a receiver any time soon.

If you haven't heard the 950 with one of their amps yet you deserve it to yourself to audition one in your own house. If you don't care for the end result you can always send it back for a full refund.

Parker

ChadLB

Screenwriter
MIke,

They did not have any Rotels in so the only comparison I could do was the Marantz 7400 vs the NAD T763. Well lets say that since the nad is double the price of the 7400 which one do you think sounds better...NAD.
I like the NAD I just wasn't sure the price difference between the 763 and 753 were worth it....the 2 biggest diffrences are the High Current Holmgren™ Toroidal Power Transformer and
Component Video, 3 Inputs and 1 Output, HDTV Compatible and the wattage. Personally I wish I could have compared the 2 side by side but they didn't have any 753 out and I didn't have the time tonight. I really would like to compare the 753 vs 763 to see if it is worth the $400 price difference.

later.

Leo

Second Unit
I have the NAD T163 and love it. It's a great improvement over my old Yamaha RX-V995 which was used as a pre/pro with some Marantz MA-500 monoblocks. Now everything sounds more dynamic and open. My noise floor has dropped significantly - to the point where it's non-existant. I'll soon be replace the monoblocks with the T973 power amp.

RickLe

Stunt Coordinator
I vote for the Sherbourn PT-7000! Hey wait, it wasn't listed...but hey it's a nicer version of the Outlaw 950 and price wise very comparable to those listed, mostly on the lower end. What I like about the 7000 is it's simplicity in producing a great sound. I demo'd the Rotel 1066 while listening to B&W 600 series speakers and the setup was sweet. Overall I liked the sound better. The reason I went with the Sherbourn was the price/quality difference between the two. I'd say if you have the money, out of all listed I'd take the Rotel. On the other hand if it's comes down to the price/quality diff I'd take a Sherbourn which is built on the same format as the 950 but with beefier capacitors/transistors (or so they say) and a better look. It's all comparative depending what angle you're looking at. If I had the money I'd be listening to something different.

DanaA

Screenwriter
At this price range, I really think you ought to add the Integra 9.4 to your list for consideration. I've heard a few of the units you're considering and the Integra to my ears is the best sonically. Downside: not firmware upgradable and I don't think the Integra's customer service can hold a candle to that of companies such as Rotel and Outlaw. But sonically...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks