What's new

Anyone familiar with Audio Refinement Pre-2 DSP? (1 Viewer)

MarkusP

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mark
Every year around this time I get bit by the upgrade bug. Over the past couple of years I have upgraded everything in my system a few times and currently have an Outlaw 950 teamed with an Acurus 5 channel amp and Definitive Technology powered bipolar speakers. I love the speakers and the Outlaw sounds pretty good for movies but as a whole things sound a little "dry", especially for music. I had Nad and Cambridge Audio setups previously and miss some of their musical sound.

As such, I am thinking of switching out my pre pro. I generally buy used on Audiogon or demo from my local dealers and so have been looking at the Rotel RSP-1066, B&K reference 30 and now the Audio Refinement Pre-2 DSP. My local dealer has the Pre-2 and sings its praises. Has anyone heard one of these units or know anything about it? I tried searching the net with little success. Would this unit be a significant improvement over the Outlaw 950? Would it give me the musical sound I am looking for but still give me the clarity of the Outlaw?

Thanks,
Markus

Dan Driscoll

Supporting Actor
If you do a search of this forum you will find quite a few comments on the Pre-2. Generally it gets high marks for sound quality, but critisized for a "quirky" user interface. Also, keep in mind that the Pre-2 is a 5.1 processor, not 7.1.

Claire Panke

Second Unit
Very good sounding, better than the Rotel IMO, and much better than the NAD. Never tried it at home so no comment about the UI. Haven't heard the particular B&K but I've had a couple power amps - they tend to be "warm" & full sounding so perhaps that house sound extends to their pres.

If you can try the Pre-2 at home that would be best. I'm also a little suspicious your Acurus amp might be on the dry side.

You might also take this query over to AudioAsylum where the music/audio freaks hang.

MarkusP

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mark
Thanks for the suggestion Claire. I plan on auditioning the Pre-2 at home this weekend.

Hopefully its not the amp as well otherwise I might just tear down the whole system and start again:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks