Outlaw Audio (1 Viewer)

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
No impressed. That would tend to indicate that they have serious QC problems and simply too many failing units to deal with.

Imagine if this was one of their $2,500 units.
I think the issue is this particular model. Outlaw discontinued it within a year of me purchasing it back in 2016. Obviously, had I known this was their plan I wouldn't have purchased it. Now I suspect they're having problems sourcing parts.

Even so, there is no excuse for their lack of communication. Simply keeping customers informed can go a long way.

George LL

Auditioning
Real Name
George Lerma
This nightmare is still going on. I sent my model 7140 to Outlaw for RMA repair on Friday July 31st. It was received and signed for on Thursday August 6th at 11:40 AM. I notified Outlaw of both the initial shipment and the delivery confirmation on those exact dates but I received absolutely nothing in return from them, not even an official acknowledgement of receipt. Weeks passed.

I finally grew impatient and asked for an update on Wednesday August 26th. Even that request went ignored initially so I tried calling them a couple of days later. They have basically made it impossible to speak to a human being for support issues. Their phone system directed me back to the same online ticketing system where they've been ignoring me since July 31st. Only today [moments ago] did I receive a response and it simply says "I am checking on this and will follow up."

Furthermore, their ticketing system is hit & miss in terms of reliability. It times out on web requests regularly. Since this all began, every response I've received has been from the same person. I won't name him but I remember this person from years earlier when I purchased the 7140. At that time he was super helpful and you were likely to get an email or maybe even a phone call within minutes of reporting an issue. My how times have changed. It's like they're running a one man show nowadays and that one man is not happy.

It's sad and hurtful when a company markets itself on customer satisfaction and then does a complete about face. 2020 has been a challenging enough year without this kick in the gut.

wow... I literally have an amp in my cart in the Outlaw website but this has sent a chill my way. This is too much money to spend and get such poor service. I suppose I’ll start looking elsewhere...maybe Emotiva.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
wow... I literally have an amp in my cart in the Outlaw website but this has sent a chill my way. This is too much money to spend and get such poor service. I suppose I’ll start looking elsewhere...maybe Emotiva.
Definitely take a look at their support site and know that it will be the only way to communicate with them should you have an issue. While I do not like the idea of impacting their sales I cannot in good conscience recommend them at this time which is sad because it didn't used to be this way.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
There are a lot of other US-based manufacturers who still have a fantastic quality reputation, D-Sonic, Wyred4Sound and ATI all come to mind.
This is interesting and good to know since ATI builds pretty much all of Outlaws amps anyway.

Kevin Alexander

Screenwriter
Thanks for the heads up on Outlaw. The HTF actually played a part in putting them on the map back in the day. How times have changed.

Fatstrat

Auditioning
Real Name
Bill
I too loved an Outlaw amp I owned. A few years ago I blew a surround channel and contacted outlaw to have it fixed. They told me to send it in and that they would fix for $100, this is back when they had good customer service. I ran into a problem with money at the time and had to put off having it repaired. Forward to today and I attempted to call to have it repaired. Now they tell me I should just buy a new one. So that is an example of how their customer service has changed. It's real shame because they had a really good underrated product. I since have upgraded to Anthem and am very happy with my purchase. I imagine its only going to get worse for them in the future at the rate they are going.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
It seems to me that they have just kind of run out of steam. It takes a lot of energy and enthusiasm to keep a company like this going. Honestly, it would wear me out. This year hasn't made things easier. You have to be even more forward looking and prepared to tackle more obstacles than usual.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
My amp is finally on it's way home and should arrive Saturday. Still no mention of what the actual issue was or why it took this long to repair.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Just checked Fedex and now my amp is not estimated to arrive until Sept 10th. Will this ever end? In hindsight, I wish i had just paid to have it repaired by a local shop.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
My amp is finally home. I was doing yard work when the Fedex driver pulled up. He was a fairly small guy and I have a long driveway, yet he carried it from the curb to my porch and just dropped it there right in front of me. Even I have a hand truck so why didn't he? What has happened to Fedex???

As for the model 7140, it has been repaired but Outlaw doesn't seem to think I need to know what the actual problem was. There was no official statement of any kind from them and they closed the support ticket long before even shipping the amp back to me. It's as if they're pissed they had to honor their warranty.

@Robert Crawford - I hope you never have an issue with your 7140 but if you do I would suggest you at least get an estimate from a local electronics repair shop before shipping it back to Outlaw. Remember, this cost me $139.00 in shipping and over a month without my amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks