What's new

Ou sont les compression horns? (1 Viewer)

Allen Ross

Supporting Actor
I work at a country club, and tonight we had a party where we hired a band and i couldn't help but notice that they had 2 (yes thats right 2) crown K2s powering there JBL stacks, I have to say man when they say compression horns are bright there not kidding, if only i had my SPL meter, i would have taken some measurements, i was a good 30 feet back for the two monitors and damn were the vocals and high notes bright, maybe a little at some points but is sounded good. The JBL stacks had a 15" LF, and what i am guessing an 8" MF and a huge compression horn . with about a 6 inch port on the cabinets.

makes me want to crank the SPL in my back yard and echo down the valley :D

Mark gas

Second Unit
For a while I have had this Idea of some Image dynamics horns with the efficiency of 109 dB playing 800 and up and a pair of Lambada 12's or 15's per side running all active with QSC 2400 running the subs and around 75 to 100 watts to the horns.
http://www.imagedynamicsusa.com/

Frank Grimes

Second Unit
I was just looking at the Lambdas, but they're only 97db @1w/m, about 10db less than most of the horn drivers I've been considering. I'm losing faith in finding a 2 way HLCD setup that's capable of playing down to ~60hz.

Jerry Parker

Stunt Coordinator
Hi guys.

I actually just bought a kit from Wayne @ PISPEAKERS, the 3pi theater kit. It uses a 12" woofer and a 2" compression horn driver.

It is correct that they do start rolling off at around 16khz or so, but I had pretty decent output from my Emminence psd2002 (the horn driver the pi's use) all the way up to around 17.5khz.

We built a pair last year for my friend and let me tell you, where these speakers shine is on movies. They can get SOOOOO loud its not even funny. 10dB over reference is not a problem with a 300w x 2 amplifier :D They also sound VERY good considering they use prosound parts. I mean they are probably not the best choice for someone wanting the most perfect, flat response, but if you are more into dynamic range and high output, I really reccomend checking out his kits he has available.

For instance, the 3pi kit I bought comes with 2 Emminence Delta 12LF woofers, 2 Emminence PSD 2002 2" titanium inverted dome horn drivers, 2 Emminence H290 horn flares, the crossover, Pi stickers and plans. Not a bad deal at all for less than 600 dollars.

Here is a pic of the kit:

Allen Ross

Supporting Actor
i actually bought the low end Pi Studio Series 2, its a 10 Eminence Alpha LF with a motorola Piezo. I haven't finished construction on the cabs yet but i have finished the front baffle and they should come out alright.

The only thing i am concerned about, it seems that the XO (an inductor in line with the LF) crosses rather high, 2200hz, and it looks like it should be crossed around 1200hz, also the driver will go non linear around 60 hz to about 50, then the port will kick in and bring it down to 40hz no problem. I have talked to Wayne and he said that is should be fine and i won't notice the imperfections. oh well well see.

I am actual looking at at the Stage Series 4 because of the smaller enclosure. But first i need the cash to buy them :D

here a link to my studio kit.

Mark gas

Second Unit
I was just looking at the Lambdas, but they're only 97db @1w/m, about 10db less than most of the horn drivers I've been considering. I'm losing faith in finding a 2 way HLCD setup that's capable of playing down to ~60hz.
go active and feed the lowend more power
using 2 drivers you would be at 100db @ 1w/m

Jerry Parker

Stunt Coordinator
i actually bought the low end Pi Studio Series 2, its a 10 Eminence Alpha LF with a motorola Piezo. I haven't finished construction on the cabs yet but i have finished the front baffle and they should come out alright.

The only thing i am concerned about, it seems that the XO (an inductor in line with the LF) crosses rather high, 2200hz, and it looks like it should be crossed around 1200hz, also the driver will go non linear around 60 hz to about 50, then the port will kick in and bring it down to 40hz no problem. I have talked to Wayne and he said that is should be fine and i won't notice the imperfections. oh well well see.

I am actual looking at at the Stage Series 4 because of the smaller enclosure. But first i need the cash to buy them

here a link to my studio kit.
:cool:

At first I wanted a pair of 2pi's too, but I figured why not go out and get a better pair. Ive been over to Wayne's a lot, and the 2pis are a GREAT speaker for the money. I mean its 100 dollars worth of parts, and you get more output than anything else in that price range I know of.

As for the inductor in the xover, Wayne was talking about how it doesnt really work like a crossover (since it has such a shallow slope) but more of a midrange attenuator.

alex y

Auditioning
Here is a type of horn that will interest you.
MIHORN is an attachable horn that converts regular cone speaker to a horn speaker. They are free for small ones to try. Many already got them.

Type mihorn at Yahoo for their Web-site.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks