What's new

Osterman Weekend 03/23 (1 Viewer)

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter
This just aired today on The History Channel in Canada in widescreen, and looked quite good considering I haven't seen the film except on VHS in about 18 years. Out of curiosity it is listed at Amazon for pre-order in a 2-disc set from Anchor Bay, but does not appear on their official website.

This is a confusing, difficult film to watch for the first time and takes a couple of repeats to get the whole picture.

If it is a two disc set as listed, is it possible we'll see a more complete version? Legend has it the producers took the film away from director Sam Peckinpah and cut it to pieces.

at Amazon. com...

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Anchor Bay have revealed the specs for the forthcoming 2-disc R1 release The Osterman Weekend. These should also reflected in the R2 release, planned by AB UK:

The Osterman Weekend - Disc One (Feature Presentation)
• Widescreen Presentation enhanced for 16x9 TVs
• Audio Commentary by Sam Peckinpah historians Paul Seydor, Garner Simmons, David Weddle and Nick Redman

The Osterman Weekend - Disc Two (Bonus Materials)
• Widescreen Presentation enhanced for 16x9 TVs
• Theatrical Trailer
• Talent Bios
• Still Gallery
• The Osterman Weekend Preview Cut
• Alpha to Omega -- an all new 78 minute documentary

Now does that indicate two cuts of the film a la My Darling Clementine? Or is The Osterman Weekend Preview Cut just another feature? No details on sound BTW.

---
So many films, so little time...

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
I have only vague recollections of this movie, and I've been wanting to see it again. Sounds like a good release.

Drew Reiber

Supporting Actor

Don't worry about what their website says, Amazon's information is much more accurate and updated. AB's website is one of the most notoriously unkept and disorganized resources for a DVD company on the Internet. It took them about 8-10 months to update their coming attractions pages, and within a few weeks some of those pages turned into broken links. Then it took them an additional 4-6 months to replace the missing pages with "updates soon" notes. Guess how long those have been there? Quite sad, really.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Despite the deficiences of the AB website, the specs I got above are from the official website. I don't particularly care too much one way or the other, as long as AB continue to produce the goods on DVD.

---

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I asked the question about the 'Preview Cut' extra at the AB UK forums and got an 'I don't know' from the moderator, but the inestimable www.zetaminor.com has come up with the answer.

Their news section reveals:

"Sam Peckinpah’s The Osterman Weekend has an RRP of £19.99 and the following special features: a commentary from Peckinpah historians Paul Seydor, Garner Simmons, David Weddle and Nick Redman; Alpha to Omega, an all-new documentary (running to 78 minutes); Sam's First Cut, a never before seen full length screening version; talent biographies; stills gallery; and the theatrical trailer."

Now that is something; Peckinpah's preview cut a la My Darling Clementine! And I can't imagine it can be anything different on the R1. Would that they also had the first cut of Major Dundee...

---

soop.spoon

Supporting Actor

This is just flat-out wrong.
The "In The Future" page has been down for some time, but the coming attractions page is updated regularly. I find info about upcoming titles there well before any of the major DVD sites mention them.

Deane Johnson

Supporting Actor
DVD Empire is showing it available for pre-order for release 3/23. And they have it listed as anamorphic.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks