What's new

OSCAR BEST PICTURE WINNERS NOT YET ON BLU RAY (1 Viewer)

PODER

Supporting Actor
Real Name
PETER JABLONSKI
As far as I can tell, there are still six Oscar winners for Best Picture not yet available on Blu Ray. Those would be BROADWAY MELODY, CIMARRON, THE GREAT ZIEGFELD, THE LIFE OF EMILE ZOLA, HAMLET and AROUND THE WORLD IN 80 DAYS. I have two questions.
1) There is a Region 2 Blu Ray of HAMLET. Can anyone comment on the quality? 2) Are there any substantial rumors floating about as far as the other five titles and the possibility of a Blu Ray edition any time in the near future?

Joel Arndt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Arndt
Regarding Question 2, the remaining 5 titles are owned by Warner. I've read the elements for Around the World in Eighty Days are problematic. I'm no insider, but I would say the one most likely to receive a release in the next year or so would be The Life of Emile Zola as next year is Warner's 100th anniversary. According to George Feltenstein the Archive will be focused on Warner produced titles mainly next year in honor of the event.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
According to George Feltenstein the Archive will be focused on Warner produced titles mainly next year in honor of the event.
That is NOT what he said.

He said that all the studios under their control would continue to have releases. But that he expected only the WB titles to be marked with the 100th branding.

There is a difference.

xochipilli

Auditioning
Real Name
Duarte
According to Mr. Feltenstein 80 Days is "in the queue", more specifically as of a month or so ago they were in the process of searching for the best available elements around the world. He also said that they'd recently updated their scanners to work with 70mm, but given the likely state of the negatives, plus the length and the fact that we're actually talking about two three-hour versions of the film, I wouldn't expect any news on it for at least a year.
Plus, he stated that there's more than one best-picture winner currently in the works, so depending on whether 80 Days counts, I'm thinking he was talking about Emile Zola and/or the three-hour The Great Ziegfeld(he'd revealed earlier that they were currently working on a pretty long film).

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
As far as I can tell, there are still six Oscar winners for Best Picture not yet available on Blu Ray. Those would be BROADWAY MELODY, CIMARRON, THE GREAT ZIEGFELD, THE LIFE OF EMILE ZOLA, HAMLET and AROUND THE WORLD IN 80 DAYS. I have two questions.
1) There is a Region 2 Blu Ray of HAMLET. Can anyone comment on the quality? 2) Are there any substantial rumors floating about as far as the other five titles and the possibility of a Blu Ray edition any time in the near future?

Let's not forget last year's Oscar-winner, CODA, which, because it comes from the streaming-only (so far) Apple platform. I hate this trend!!

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
I recently viewed CIMARRON and it looked terrible. And also full of racism. BROADWAY MELODY might be problematic, too.

ZIEGFELD looked good to me, as in, not much cleanup needed, but, obviously, a new 4k scan is essential.

Zola I can’t comment on because even though I watched it recently (just after MELODY, CIMARRON and ZIEGFELD, among others), I can’t recall what it looked like.

I am grateful to hear that AROUND THE WORLD is in the queue. I hope they port over ALL the bonus features, too! Maybe they can add the COMPLETE TRIP TO THE MOON?

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
I recently viewed CIMARRON and it looked terrible. And also full of racism. BROADWAY MELODY might be problematic, too.

ZIEGFELD looked good to me, as in, not much cleanup needed, but, obviously, a new 4k scan is essential.

Zola I can’t comment on because even though I watched it recently (just after MELODY, CIMARRON and ZIEGFELD, among others), I can’t recall what it looked like.

I am grateful to hear that AROUND THE WORLD is in the queue. I hope they port over ALL the bonus features, too! Maybe they can add the COMPLETE TRIP TO THE MOON?
Bet Zola next year and The Great Ziegfeld end 2023 or 2024 MGMs 100th

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Let's not forget last year's Oscar-winner, CODA, which, because it comes from the streaming-only (so far) Apple platform. I hate this trend!!

To be fair, while not Oscar winners, just nominees, The Irishman and Marriage Story got blu-ray releases. And Nomadland, which was a winner. All of these, including Coda, were made for streaming, but got limited theatrical releases to make them eligible for Oscars.

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
I hate this trend, too, because I collect all the nominees on blu. Trail
Of the Chicago 7 isn’t available, either.

ScottHM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
As far as I can tell, there are still six Oscar winners for Best Picture not yet available on Blu Ray. Those would be BROADWAY MELODY, CIMARRON, THE GREAT ZIEGFELD, THE LIFE OF EMILE ZOLA, HAMLET and AROUND THE WORLD IN 80 DAYS.
Oh? I haven't been able to find the Oscar winning Amadeus on Blu Ray. Have I missed it?
---------------

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
Oh? I haven't been able to find the Oscar winning Amadeus on Blu Ray. Have I missed it?
---------------
Well, you can find only the director's cut. The theatrical cut is still unreleased on blu-ray, but I hear there is a restoration in the works? Something like that...

richardburton84

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack
---------------

The Director’s Cut of the film was released on Blu-ray during the early years of the format, though it could probably use a remaster as well as a release of the theatrical cut.

Edit: Konstantinos beat me to it.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Well, you can find only the director's cut. The theatrical cut is still unreleased on blu-ray, but I hear there is a restoration in the works? Something like that...

Probably a 4k. This is one film that would actually benefit from the format.

ScottHM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
The Director’s Cut of the film was released on Blu-ray during the early years of the format, though it could probably use a remaster as well as a release of the theatrical cut.

Edit: Konstantinos beat me to it.
But that's not the Oscar winning film, is it?
---------------

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks