What's new

Optical SPDIF to Creative 5.1 with a computer (1 Viewer)

angryg3rmanfool

Auditioning
Real Name
E Warnere
I've been looking online and in forums for awhile and haven't been able to find an answer to my problem. I have an HDTV with optical SPDIF and a set of Creative speakers with three (3) 1/8 inch stereo connectors. The wires on the speakers are hard-wired to the back of the sub so I'm stuck with them. I want to connect my HDTV to the speakers and do not have the option of using a computer + sound card. One item I found that looks promising is the Creative DTS-610:
us.store.creative.com/Home-Theater-Connect-DTS610/M/B002651ZEM.htm
The problem with this device is it seems to go the "wrong" way; FROM the (3) 1/8 inch stereo plugs TO the optical SPDIF. I need a device or a solution that goes the "other" way; FROM optical SPDIF TO the (3) 1/8 inch stereo plugs. All the specs I read online say that the (3) 1/8 inch stereo plugs are for sending audio to the DTS-610 only and not capable of receiving audio through these connections.

Any help/guidance is appreciated. Please go easy on me...first post.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
The answer I have for you is a terrible one: you'll not make this work.

Because of the way the optical standard is, it can't be converted in this way. This subject gets brought up every so often in Creative forums (search 1/8" to Toslink) and it simply isn't feasible/won't work.

While this solution would seemingly allow you to have a very "cheap" home theater, it won't work. The DTS-Connect solution is designed to work in the reverse direction, more then that, it doesn't provide for output of a true digital, rather it outputs a soundfield generated based on the DTS-Connect method over a toslink connection.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I don't know where to buy it, but you need a Dolby Digital / DTS decoder like this - http://ixbtlabs.com/articles/de005jazzspeakers/ . It took about 5 minutes to find with a Google search so you should be able to find competing products and where they are sold.

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
Also understand that the optical out on the tv is only for use with local HD channels, via the internal tuner, while using an antenna. It won't work with cable, satellite, or dvd player going to tv first, then out from the optical. Just making sure you understand how the optical on the tv works.
Good luck!

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
The above is important to note: your TV will only use the Optical out for signal it decodes, via ATSC (antenna) or QAM (cable connected directly without a cable box). It will not decode or pass signal from an HDMI connection out to speakers. So, if your thought was to go from cable box (or satellite) to TV via HDMI, and TV back out to speakers, I can tell you that breaks the secured digital protected path, and the TV won't transmit that signal.. so your speakers would stay silent.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks