What's new

Opinions on RF demodulators (1 Viewer)

Andy_A

Second Unit
Hi, I'm wondering about some RF demods. Specifically, the Kenwood DEM-999. Does anyone know about this demodulator? I know how they work, but how does it compare with others out there, like the Sony and Yamaha? Is the sound quality basically the same on all of them? Also, I have a number of DTS discs--how would I run it along with DTS/stereo digital out at the same time? Will my player send out both signals? Any help is greatly appreciated. :confused:

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Andy, there's no difference in the sound of various demodulators. All they do is fish the AC-3 bitstream out of the RF carrier. Both of my pre's have built-in demodulators but I bought a Sony demodulator for future use with some future pre I might own. I hooked it up and tested it and it sounded fine. It's back in the box for now.
Isn't that Kenwood model the one with an input for the AC-3 digital cable and a second input for the regular digital output too? If so, here's what happens: if no AC-3 signal is present it automatically defers to the other digital input and passes it. DTS tracks are only output on regular digital outputs, toslink or coaxial. AC-3 is only output on the dedicated AC-3 output.
If your Kenwood is the one with switching, all you have to do is hook up both. If not you'll need to use two seperate digital inputs or....I'll tell you the or if you need it. What player are you using? Does your demod have the switching? I'll check back later. Best wishes from Laserland!

Andy_A

Second Unit
Thanks very much for the info. The demodulator is a pretty basic one with only an input and an output. My ld player is the Pioneer DVL-919. It has coax & toslink digital outputs and AC-3/RF out as well. It sounds like I'd have to run RF to the demod and into the receiver PLUS a coax digital from LD directly to the receiver. Is this right? I've no problem running it like this. The receiver is the Onkyo 797. Anyone know if the dvl-919 will output RF and coax digital outs at the same time? I don't want to have to change a setting for each different type of laserdisc I play. Of course, I'd still run analog lines from the laser to the receiver for non digital laserdiscs. Please let me know if I'm on track. I've not bought the Kenwood DEM-999 yet, just considering it. Is $110 shipped a good buy? Thanks much. :b

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Sound quality is not different among demods.
Anyone know if the dvl-919 will output RF and coax digital outs at the same time?
You most definitely will. The PCM digital output will issue forth from the digital out and the RF signal will eminate from the RF out simultaneously.
The price is great.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Andy, as Phillip sez that's a good price. But, you'll need to hook up both digital outs, either toslink or coaxial for PCM & DTS tracks using two digital inputs or switch them, a pain! The OR I spoke of earlier would involve buying something else but here it is: get an Audio Authority digital input switcher. They come with and without video inputs. They are signal sensing units tht give hgher priority to the lowest # input. Take the AC-3 RF line and send it to the demodulator. Then take an output line to the switcher's #1 input. Then use either the toslik or coaxial to go to the switcher's #2 input.
This way AC-3 will be the default sound. If no AC-3 is present, input #2 automatically comes up for sound. Plus, you have some extra digital inputs for any overflow of digital devices. My model 1155 has 4 main sets of toslink & coaxial inputs plus a front panel toslink marked Minidisc. There's also a manual over-ride selector button on the front. It will take more cables but it works just fine.
There are RF demodulators that switch as I described in the other post. I've heard several people complain about the switching part locking up, but such a demod would be the most convient and easy. I know those units are harder to find for sale and command higher prices, proably over $200. There you go, that's how I'll hook up my LD player someday when my new pre won't have an RF demod.
Best wishes from Laserland!

Andy_A

Second Unit
Rachael, thanks for the input. I have 3 coax and 3 toslink on my receiver, so I figure I'll have to hook up rf out to the demod to the receiver and then a seperate coax digital directly from the receiver. That way I can switch on my receiver if I have to, but I think my receiver may also detect it for me, I'll have to check. What are your thoughts on the DVL-919? It seems to have a pretty good picture from laserdiscs, but how would it compare with, say a cld-d704 or cld-79? Is it at all comparable with one of these models? I have not been able to find out. If this helps, it was made in 99 and has a digital comb filter, but I have not been able to find out what db the video noise reduction is at... thanks again

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Andy, the 704 & 79 & DVL-91 are a cut above your player pic wise. The 919 gives Pioneer's average picture quality, which isn't bad at all, 50 db video S/N. The 79/704/91 gets you 51 db. The 99 & 97 get you 52db. The Japanese hi-end players squeez out maybe a bit more. As you go up the ladder of players video noise lessens and colour gets more vivid. My HLD-X9 makes STIR WARZ PM look pretty much the same as the DVD, but the DVD is a bit crippled.
Well, you do have plenty of inputs. You'll figur something out. I thought you might only have 3 or 4, like so many recievers do. Best wishes from Laserland!

Ellen

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ellen
Can you folks tell me more about this Kenwood demod? Where can I purchase one?

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Ellen, there always seem to be a few demod's on e-bay. Don't worry much about what brand. I've seen Sony, Pioneer, Yamaha, and Nakamichi. There's proably a few other brands floating around too. Most don't have switching and are simple demod's. You'll see them priced about 100 to $150. If you're short of digital inputs the ones with swtching for the player's regular digital output are very desirable. If you turn up one of those models, expect to pay $200 +. Best wishes!

Jeff Seabrook

Auditioning
Any other sources besides E-Bay for a RF demodulator?
I have a new Pioneer DVL-919 that I need to hook up!
Thanks!
Jeff;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks