Opinions on the Pioneer Elite CLD-92 LD player

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Joel Fontenot, Sep 23, 2002.

1. Joel Fontenot

Joel Fontenot Supporting Actor

Joel Fontenot
    I may have the opportunity to get a used Pioneer Elite CLD-92 LD. I'm looking to replace my old Sony LD player which is starting to loose it's ability to spin up some of my discs.

I know that it doesn't do AC-3 but my Yamaha RXV-1000 can't do RF demodulation anyway without an outboard demodulator.

I'm still looking for a newer model on ebay, but the ones I'm looking at are at a price range that I won't be able to seriously consider 'till the end of the year.

The 92 is one I could get now, but I would like to read comments from anyone who's had experience with them - sound and picture-wise and durability.

Thanks,
    Joel

2. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Joel, I've never seen that model. It didn't sell in quantity. It is a late 1980's model and won't have the pic quality of newer models. I did have the CLD-52 which was it's little brother and the 52's pic isn't as good as a CLD-S104 from 1995. The 92's pic might be a little better than a 52's? It should be, but my quess is that a CLD-704/703/79 has a better pic. The 92 should have decent enough sound but it's video section is from the old days, and it's flat out old. It was a top model back then. I'm pretty sure it has the wood side panels an all but I wouldn't give too much for one. $200, tops, if I thought it had some life left in it. I'd be more inclined to think in terms of $150 because it does do auto-flip and has digital outputs. I don't think you can depend on this old a player long-term. It's a dinosaur. Maybe, somebody here has had one.... Best wishes!

3. Joel Fontenot

Joel Fontenot Supporting Actor

Joel Fontenot
    Thanks for the reply Rachael,

Looks like I might pass this one up then. It's at my local HT shop that I deal with a lot, and it's a unit from one of their customers who upgraded recently (they get one every-so-often that way). I did see it, and it does have the rosewood side panels, but I wasn't sure how old it really was. They were asking about $200 for it, and I know they tested and cleaned it.

I'll be hunting elsewhere soon.

Thanks again,
    Joel