What's new

Opinions on the Pioneer Elite CLD-92 LD player (1 Viewer)

Joel Fontenot

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joel Fontenot
I may have the opportunity to get a used Pioneer Elite CLD-92 LD. I'm looking to replace my old Sony LD player which is starting to loose it's ability to spin up some of my discs.

I know that it doesn't do AC-3 but my Yamaha RXV-1000 can't do RF demodulation anyway without an outboard demodulator.

I'm still looking for a newer model on ebay, but the ones I'm looking at are at a price range that I won't be able to seriously consider 'till the end of the year.

The 92 is one I could get now, but I would like to read comments from anyone who's had experience with them - sound and picture-wise and durability.

Thanks,
Joel

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Joel, I've never seen that model. It didn't sell in quantity. It is a late 1980's model and won't have the pic quality of newer models. I did have the CLD-52 which was it's little brother and the 52's pic isn't as good as a CLD-S104 from 1995. The 92's pic might be a little better than a 52's? It should be, but my quess is that a CLD-704/703/79 has a better pic. The 92 should have decent enough sound but it's video section is from the old days, and it's flat out old. It was a top model back then. I'm pretty sure it has the wood side panels an all but I wouldn't give too much for one. $200, tops, if I thought it had some life left in it. I'd be more inclined to think in terms of $150 because it does do auto-flip and has digital outputs. I don't think you can depend on this old a player long-term. It's a dinosaur. Maybe, somebody here has had one.... Best wishes!

Joel Fontenot

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joel Fontenot
Thanks for the reply Rachael,

Looks like I might pass this one up then. It's at my local HT shop that I deal with a lot, and it's a unit from one of their customers who upgraded recently (they get one every-so-often that way). I did see it, and it does have the rosewood side panels, but I wasn't sure how old it really was. They were asking about $200 for it, and I know they tested and cleaned it.

I'll be hunting elsewhere soon.

Thanks again,
Joel

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks