What's new

Opinions on Real Theater Chairs (1 Viewer)

Dave HW

Grip
At first I assumed I would furnish my basement Ht with recliners or leather couch. Lately i have been looking at some internet sellers who have used and reconditioned theatter seats. They look cool and you can fit a few in a small space. However, are they comfortable enough for extended use? Any brands I should look for or avoid?

Thanks,

Dave

Gary Shipley

Second Unit
Dave, when you go to the movies, do you find the seating very comfortable? If you do, then go for actual theater seating. I don't personally find theater seats that comfortable. Thats why I'll put in either recliners or the new style of theater seating by La-Z-Boy or Berkline. Pricewise, the recliners can run about the same price as the theater seats. The theater seating groups will be more expensive, but will be far more comfortable than a standard theater seat. So, in the end(no pun intended), the choice is yours.

RickBlacker

Stunt Coordinator
I have theater seats. I purchased them off ebay. They were rather cheap I think I payed something like $45.00 each. I had a lot of cleaning to do on them but they turned out good.

I think it really comes down to cost. If you have the money, buy something nicer, I would have if I had more money. Perhaps I still will some day. But, for the money of used theater seats on ebay, I just could not beat it.

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
Theater seats are murder on my lower back. When watching a long film such as the LOTR movies, I find myself constantly shifting in my seat to try and relieve the discomfort. My theater will have recliners, no question about it.

scott>sau

Stunt Coordinator
The best of both worlds are the comfy theatrical looking "CineSofa" from "first Impressions". They offer the worlds only custom curved motion sectional and get this ALL SEATS RECLINE! "Got Popcorn"?

First Impressions:
www.cineloungers.com
800-305-7545:emoji_thumbsup:

JawhnM

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jawhn MacCaine
I have both recliners and theater seats in my theater. Most of the time when I watch movies on my front projector in total darkness (except for riser lighting), I prefer to sit in the theater seats. The recliners are SO comfortable that I tend to fall asleep during long movies. I sit in the recliners mostly for TV on the RPTV with the lights on. Don't get me wrong, my theater seats are pretty comfortable. They're just not "sleeping" comfortable.:D

Nick P

Second Unit
I got my theater seats from [email protected] Brand new for 85.00 each. They are the basic style but feel pretty comfortable to me. No doubt a recliner would be more comfortable but there was no way I could fit seven of those in my theater.

Steve Lucas

Stunt Coordinator
I have theater seats in mine. I find them to be just fine for the length of a movie, but not if I were doing a double feature. I'd love to have some of the curved, reclining custom theater groups, but they are quite expensive and wouldn't fit into my room anyway. I didn't want couches or recliners because I wanted to room to look like a theater.
I think it comes down to money and the look you want. Theater seats are fine for the time it takes to watch a movie. That being said, I wouldn't mind moving up to some of those really fancy, tall backed, reclining theater seats I've seen, but I'll have to wait until I'm done with the upgrade bug equipment wise before I can even consider that.

Here are a few of links to show what my theater looks like.

screen

seats

left side

right side

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
I've got 10, but only 3 are installed in the theater. I have a couch in back (wife and daughter wanted it) with the theater seats down front. When I refurbed them, I double stuffed'em, I also have small foot stools to go with, I can sit through the LotR: EE with no problems, they are very, very comfy.

Peace Out~:D

Nick P

Second Unit
Steve - those are what my seats look like from kustomken but mine are all black and have a different arm rest.

Eddie L

Stunt Coordinator
theatre seats....not just any old theatre seats but original seats from the "Fourth Ave. Theater" in Anchorage, AK. The same theatre that sank during the '64 earthquake. it is now used by a catering company.
http://www.fourthavenuetheater.com/
At least they didn't tear it down!! Get this, each seat.....$10 a piece!!!!. Nice wooden backs and cast iron sides. Sold 11 to a friend who had them reupholstered and repainted. They look and feel great. I kept 9 for myself...2 of which are aisle seats with the little light attachment on the side. Another nice thing is, they are rockers. Can't wait to get mine in.

Michael FF

Stunt Coordinator
I gave serious thought to genuine theater seats, but ended up purchasing Laz-E-Boy recliners. The decision was based on: age of most users of my home theater (60 and up); and extended viewing time due to installation of HDTV capability.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks