opinions on my set up

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by RichardFlores, Jan 9, 2004.

1. RichardFlores

ok this is what i am thinking about getting

Im on a tight budget as you can see.

speakers $199.99
    Fluance AV-HTB (5 speakers combo)

receiver $182.95
    onkyo 6.1 Channel DTS ES Home Theater Receiver, TX-SR501 Refurbished by Onkyo (ecost) 480 watts total power into 6 Ohms. Dolby Digital EX, Pro Logic II, DTS, DTS-ES and DTS Neo:6 Processing
    http://www.ecost.com/ecost/shop/detail.asp?DPNo=157373

what else do I need???

2. John S

John S Producer

A Subwoofer... I like the Sony SA-WM500 on the budget side. ($135.00 at B&H)

3. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

When asking for specific model recommendations, please post in the appropriate hardware area. Since you're talking about an entire budget system, I've moved the thread to A/V Sources.

The Basics area is for general discussion at the beginner level, not for asking about specific models of equipment to purchase.

Thanks, and good luck with your system.

4. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Cinematographer

Sounds good (the setup I settled on myself on a budget). I have a TX-SR601 for the composite to s-video cross-conversion (a LOT of game consoles) and the AV-HTB.

You do need a subwoofer. I have a super-budget $50 scratch-n-dent (not that it's scratched or dented) Sony WM20 8" sub that bottoms out sometimes. Not too happy with it (I hear the Sony WM40 10inchers are better). Don't skimp on the sub too much like me.

Happy with the Fluance speakers here (there are a few of us Fluance owners loitering around here).