What's new

Opinions on McCartney CDs? (1 Viewer)

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
This subject came up during a recent Beatles thread, but I hoped to get additional insight. I'd love to hear thoughts/comparisons on the following titles.
Here are the ones I own and am considering upgrading:
McCartney: I have Eighties Capitol version - should I go with the DCC edition or the Nineties import?
Ram: I have the DCC - is the Nineties import an improvement in sound quality?
Red Rose Speedway: I have the Eighties Capitol version - should I go with the DCC edition or the Nineties import?
Venus and Mars: I have the Eighties Capitol version - should I go with the DCC edition or the Nineties import?
Speed of Sound: I have the Eighties Capitol version - should I go with the DCC edition or the Nineties import?
London Town, Back to the Egg, McCartney II: are the Nineties imports substantial auditory improvements over the Eighties Capitol versions?
Any and all opinions on these subjects appreciated!

Jon Sheedy

Stunt Coordinator
Since I don't own any of the DCC versions (besides McCartney), I can't tell you which have the most improved sound....BUT...I would go with all the remastered import titles..the improved sound PLUS additional tracks give them a definate edge...all except McCartney (the import has no bonus tracks) and the DCC version sounds awesome.

I owned every McCartney title before I replaced them all with the imports and soundwise there is simply no comparison....the imports are lightyears beyond the standard versions, which by comparison with the imports, sound like you are listening to them with burlap bags over your speakers...they are dull, shrill, and flat..horrible IMHO. The imports are a huge improvement, to say the least!

I doubt you could be anything less than pleased with the imports....go for 'em!

Jon

John Tillman

Supporting Actor
Venus and Mars: I have the Eighties Capitol version - should I go with the DCC edition or the Nineties import?
Can't advise on the others, but V&M has a DTS version which has a nice sound. I own it and have seen it recently at my local Best Buy in the DVD-A section.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Can't advise on the others, but V&M has a DTS version which has a nice sound. I own it and have seen it recently at my local Best Buy in the DVD-A section.
Should've mentioned that I already have the DTS V&M (as well as the DTS Band On the Run). Considering a copy of the Nineties import or the DCC because I mainly listen to music in the car or in a situation where the DTS version isn't practical.
BTW, if anyone wants to sell their Columbia release of V&M, let me know! I'm sure the sound's not great, but I'd like to have it for collectible reasons; I own all the other McCartney CBS releases and would like to finish that set. (Once saw a copy at a used CD store for $8 but passed - I've regretted it ever since!)
And thanks to those who've responded so far - any additional comments would be appreciated!

Anthony Hom

Supporting Actor
IIRC, all the DCC McCartney CDs are all remixes (oh but what GREAT re-mixes) by Steve Hoffman. He made sure they sounded just like the originals, only clearer. All those are good, but the McCartney collection from outside the US is also good, not sure if its worth buying the whole set again, but the versions from Holland are not as expensive.

One exception to the DCC CDs is the Band On The run. I think the 25th anniv. edition is better.

Also, if you are interested in Wings over America, the Japan issue with reproduced cover CD-size is a good one. As I understand it, its the best version out there, but at a steep price of over $60 US dollars.

Larry Geller

Supporting Actor
IIRC, all the DCC McCartney CDs are all remixes (oh but what GREAT re-mixes) by Steve Hoffman.
This is ABSOLUTELY NOT TRUE!!! There has NEVER been ANY Paul CD's remixed, just remastered, DCC's included. If you A/B any release - DCC, original Capitol crap CDs, 1993 UK reissues, original Apple vinyl-LP & 45s, later Columbia vinyl or CDs, they are ALL EXACTLY THE SAME MIX. The only remix EVER EVER, was for quadraphonic release in 1975, & these are the remixes on the DTS CDs. The only possible exception to this, if we're being totally nit-picky, is 12" remixes like Goodnight Tonight (none of which have EVER been on a CD), & the promo 45 of Oh Woman, Oh Why, which has extra gunshots.

And yes, the 25th Ann Band On The Run DOES destroy the DCC version-in fact, it may be the best sounding red-book CD I have ever heard--yet the assholes at Capitol STILL have the regular POS CD in the stores!

John Tillman

Supporting Actor
Larry,

Is there a quality difference between All The Best & Wingspan, other than additional material? Curious, as I only have the former.

Larry Geller

Supporting Actor
All The Best has never been remastered (BTW-the US & UK versions have different track listings, with the UK being superior, having rare tracks like Once Upon A Long Ago that are not on the US version), but Wingspan HAS been & sounds even better than the 1993 remasters & on par with the DCCs!

Wingspan is currently the best sounding Paul out there & shows that even the 1993s should be re-done.

Steve Meskell

Second Unit
I was wondering two things........

Why are the first few notes of BOTR on the DTS cd missing?

And Did Paul have any input on the DTS releases?? The credits say that he "helped" in the surround mix but I assume that was for the orignal mixing.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
The 80s Capitol CDs sound like complete dogshit. If you have any of them replace them as fast as you can if you're a McCartney fan. From what I've read the DCC and 93 UK white label "Collection" discs sound very similar. I have the DCC of "Venus & Mars", "Red Rose Speedway", "Speed of Sound" and "Band On THe Run" and they all sound great.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
If anyone cares, I'm in the process of "upgrading" (I hope) my whole Macca collection - just in time for the new tour! No opinions yet, but I haven't done any real comparisons.

I DID want to let potentially interested parties know that the DCC Venus and Mars is currently available at SamGoody.com. It seems to be tough to find any of the DCC releases, but they have it ready to ship, apparently. Mine should come soon - hope this helps someone!

Anthony Hom

Supporting Actor
Larry,

Maybe you are right. I will verify that Steve Hoffman did not remix the DCC Macca CDs. He gave an interview to the magazine the 910 on the Macca records, and I thought he had the free hand to re-mix, but maybe I read it wrong. i thought he did because he mentioned before he produced those DCC discs, he listened to every version of each album (US, UK, Japan, Europe, CD, LP, cassette, 8 track, reel tapes, etc.) he could find in order to make the CDs sound exactly as they were heard in the original releases.

Anthony Hom

Supporting Actor
I have found the Steve Hoffman interview.

he did not make any allusions to re-mixing the Macca CDs so that's verified.

The synopsis of the interview was this: His technique for re-mastering CDs is to make it sound very much like the original release. He thinks the same mixiing boards for the original should be used, which he has used for the Macca CDs, right up to the digital conversion. He feels re-mastering should be analog up to the last possible moment. Can't really argue with that, considering the results of all of his DCC albums, they all sound better than the regular issues.

He also felt that some of the mono mixes for the Beatles early stuff sounded better, but the problem is EMI didn't use the correct mixes! He has prided himself in finding every version of songs to find the best mixes out there, and I think if he were given a chance to re-do the first four albums EVEN in mono, they would sound better.

Frank_S

Supporting Actor
I see no mention of "Flowers in the Dirt". Although it strays from the popsy sound that Paul is best known for, I thoroughly enjoy it. It also sounds very good.

I own the vinyl issue of "Wingspan". 4 Glorious LP's pressed on heavy vinyl. They did a great job on this release, especially the old classics like "Let me roll it". Paul's bass-line stands out on this track, it really dominates but is'nt overbearing, it has always been one of my favorites. If any of you have a TT, check this album out.

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
Larry Geller,
So, is this the version of BOTR I should get (as opposed to the DCC version)?
B00000I7KL.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
"Let Me Roll It" is one of my favorite McCartney songs also. The Quadrophonic version is spectacular.

Joel Fontenot

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joel Fontenot
Stumbling across this thread...
I have most of the McCartney/Wings cd's listed here with various versions of some but not all.
My personal favorite albums are:
Band on the Run
Venus and Mars
and
Press to Play which no one's mentioned yet.
I have all three BOTR cd's and I have to disagree with the other comments that the 25th Anniversary version is better than the DCC version. I realize that it's all very subjective but I just gave a headphone listen to the two of them this morning.
To me, at least, the Anniv. version sounds a bit more dynamically (sp?) compressed - though, overall, it is a little louder. In the DCC version, the drum and bass guitar parts that start the second half of the song Band on the Run (after the acoustic guitar bridge) sound more upfront and full and the acoustic guitar doesn't get reduced in volume as much after getting shifted to the left channel as it seems to do in the Anniv. version - similar to the way it did in the original Capital CD release. Also, the final guitar/drum crash at the end of Ninteen Hundred and Eighty Five (just before the BOTR reprise) seems louder and less distorted in the DCC than the Anniv. version, which is the reason the Anniv. version seemed to have some dynamic compression applied as heard by my ears.
Overall, the DCC version just seems more...I don't know...full - I guess that's what I'm trying to say, than the 25th Anniversary version.
Either way, they both blow away the original Capital version.
Joel

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks