What's new

Opinions on Carver AV-705x (1 Viewer)

Does anyone here have any opinions as to the quality of the Carver AV-705x ampplifier, and is $560 a reasonable price to pay?

Also, how does it compare to the Acurus 125x5 and the Rotel 985THX?

Thanks,

Scott

LCSeminole

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Laurence
Can't speak for the Acurus or Rotel, but I have a Carver AV-705x. It's very neutral sounding, has plenty of power and is rack mountable. A solid all around THX amplifier. It doesnt have a remote trigger but that isn't a problem if you have a line conditioner with switchable outlets. I got mine new from OneCall.com about 2 years ago at about the same price of $560, and yes that is an extremely fair price. It retailed for about $1500-$1600 I believe, I have an old brochure somewhere packed away of their product line when it was current. Sound and Vision/Stereo Review really liked it. I love mine.

Kevin Alexander

Screenwriter
Scott, the Carver is a well liked unit. It gets good reviews from its owners. The going price for them seems to be around $400-$600. If I didn't have the Acurus, the Carver would definately be on my list.

Alan Pummill

Screenwriter
Scott,
I answered your e-mail. Good amp....love mine!
You paid the same, $560, as I did. That is a fair price.
Enjoy!!:emoji_thumbsup:

Andrew_Ballew

Second Unit
The 705x is a nice, well regarded amp. BUT- if you can find an 806x buy it. Having heard both I believe it is a better amp. Much smoother and warmer sounding if you like warm. Perhaps a bit more detailed too, and can be found for around $600. You also get an extra channel of amplification for a 6.1 setup, and you can bridge each of the 6 channels for a maximum of 3 channels at 360 watts. ( If you run each channel seperately, I believe it puts out an under-rated 135 watts per channel) The 806x is home THX certified as well.

Cheers

Andrew B.

Bob_L

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Lindstrom
I've used a 705x for several years and have been very happy with it.

I recently purchased an Aragon amp to power my fronts. Yes, the Aragon is better but it's also MUCH, MUCH more expensive. Compared to the Aragon, the Carver has a bit less air, a bit less detail and noticeably less low end muscle. However, if you have a subwoofer, that attenuated low end isn't going to be an issue.

The Carver is still in my system powering my four surrounds and doing an excellent job of it. I think it's a solid, honest performer.

Scott F

Auditioning
I also own this unit and have had no issues. I bought it several years back for around $800, sounds like I got ripped:frowning: , but from what it soundls like that is still 1/2 off retail ;) . You won't go wrong purchasing this amp!
Scott F
PS I am looking at upgrading to 6.1 system! suggestions welcome!

Dalton

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dalton
I'll add another recomendation for the Carver. I got one on ebay a couple of months back and I use it with my Onkyo 797. I love it! Very neutral and detailed. Well worth the $560!

SHAWN SZILEZY

Stunt Coordinator
Got mine when Onecall was closing them out about 3 years ago. Great sounding amp! I have since added another Carver amp (A400X) if that is any incling on how much I like their amps. :emoji_thumbsup:

Michael Langdon

Stunt Coordinator
I love the Carver amps also! I have 2 Carver AV-806x amps in my Home Theater system. The sound is very warm and smooth. Dialogue even seems to be improved over my previous Denon amps (POA-2400).

Thanks so far to everyone that has replied. I feel pretty comfortable purchasing this amp. I will be mating it with a new Outlaw 950 that should be arriving tomorrow. I have to say though, that it is seems to be a large amp, not tall, but wide and deep. I measured my rack, and found that it will certainly be hanging over the edge. Oh well, I'm in it for the sound, right??

The only problem with this amp is that the seller does not have the owners manual with it. Does anyone know where I might be able to find an online copy. I icalled Sunfire, and they want to charge $15. Seems like a lot for a simple owners manual.

Scott

Bob_L

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Lindstrom
Scott:

I wouldn't worry about getting the manual. There isn't much to tell about actually.

The only adjustable items on the 705x are the trim pots over each channel output and, if the amp if going to perform to THX specs, those should be wide open at all times. I've personally never had them at any other setting. Some use them to fine tune channel balance, but I think you'll prefer to do that at the Outlaw 950.

By the way, I really like the Outlaw 950!

Hey Bob_L,

Thanks for the reply. I kinda figured that there wouldn't be much to know.

Glad you like the 950. I actually just got mine about 1 hour ago. It's horrible because I don't have the amp yet. I'm getting the shakes!!!!!

The only thing about the Outlaw so far that I have noticed is the build quality. I know they cut corners to give more bang for the buck, but I was expecting the knob and buttons to be a little firmer. I think someone should start a business making aftermarket hop-up parts.

Scott

Kevin Alexander

Screenwriter
Scott, if you have a receiver, you can use the 6 channel input on the back of the receiver to utilize its amps until you get the externa amp.

Dean L

Stunt Coordinator
After 5 years the Carver 705 has not let me down.

Great sounding amp!

any other owners notice this amp never gets hot or overheats no matter how loud you play it?

just lukewarm.

A STEAL NOW @ -$600!

SHAWN SZILEZY

Stunt Coordinator
Dean,

You are correct. No matter how much you pound it, it will not strain nor heat up. Great amp for the money!

LCSeminole

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Laurence
Scott, I have an owners manual for the AV-705x. It isn't very detailed and it's only 6 or 7 pages long max. You're not missing out on anything. The most important subjects are the channel gains and the channel steering feature. It takes available power from the other channels to support the most heavily used channels, i.e.: the center and fronts. In stereo usage, 2 channels, it's rated at 190 watts/channel. Any other questions we're all here for you.

Marc_E

Supporting Actor
I had an av-505 and it was fantastic. I was considering going separates but opted for a flagship receiver. The Carver was used with sony str-v555es and was beautiful.
Here's the secrets review:
Link Removed
A great choice ESPECIALLY for the money.
Marc

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.