Mixing Amps. Any opinions?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bob_L, Mar 24, 2002.

1. Bob_L

Bob_L Supporting Actor

Bob Lindstrom
    I have an NHT system all around. 2.5 and AC1 in front, 1.5's for surrounds. I listen to both movies and two-channel music (with some "music surround") with this system. Currently driving it with a Carver AV-705x. I also have an SVS 20-39.

When the Outlaw arrives I'm going to 7.1 -- two more 1.5's in back -- and will need to add more amp, of course.

Sooo, what do y'all think about buying a two channel Parasound, or Rotel, or Odyssey for the 2.5's and using the Carver for the front center and surrounds?

Or would it be better to drive the front with a new three-channel amp to keep the same amp across the front for timbre matching?

Thanks.

2. Dalton

Dalton Screenwriter

Dalton
    Bob,

If you use a 2 ch. amp to power the center surrounds I don't think it will cause you any problems. BTW, how do you like the Carver amp? I am very close to getting one(same one you have) and would appreciate your input on it. I have been going back and forth about amps for the 950 for weeks. The Carver looks like a good deal right now. If i get it I will be using it to power my front soundstage. I will bi-amp my mains and run the center channel with it. I have a Parasound HCA855A to power the side surrounds and the center surrounds. Thanks for any input.

3. MatthewJ S

MatthewJ S Supporting Actor

I have received a lot of abuse for sticking with this one policy I have...MATCH ALL SPEAKERS (ABOVE 80-100hz),MATCH ALL AMPS......I prefer using as many power supplies as possible but ,in this case if you can't afford to match all 5,6,7 amps in some fashion then step back...This doesn't necessarily apply to the folks that spend 90%+ time in 2 channel mode,but (to me) there seems to be too much in multi-channel to mismatch my system ...

4. chung

chung Stunt Coordinator

5. Bob_L

Bob_L Supporting Actor

Bob Lindstrom
    *BUMP*

Interested in more points of view