What's new

Opinions on a Cell Phone (1 Viewer)

Scott Bourden

Second Unit
http://www.telusmobility.com/nf/paya..._cdm8100.shtml
This is the phone my girlfriend insists in getting, the Audiovox CDM-8100.
She plans on getting it for $199 CAD, and getting a "pay as you go" type deal.
She doesn't need the features of this phone, and I tried to steer her to a tried and true regularlevel Nokia phone, but she'll have none of it (as she already has a 5120 I think the model is, and doesn't particularly like it)
She says that her job security isen't that great, and doesn't want a monthly bill, hence the pay as you go plan.
Just looking for opinions on the phone model, as she (as of now) will be going through Telus, and it will have to be a phone in their http://www.telusmobility.com/nf/pcs/handset_home.shtml list.
Anybody have one? Good or bad experiences? Recommendations on other phone's? I'd like to be able to sway her to even considering another company, just to have more options, but it's a no-go, so I'm limited to this company. (and note, we're in Canada)
Thanks in advance

Rob Tenniswood

Stunt Coordinator
Having been with a few different providers, I've discovered that, by a long shot Telus is the best there is in Canada. So, as far as providers go, your lady's got the right idea.

As for the phone, I wouldn't recommend it. You really have to go with the bigger companies, simply because they really do provide the better phone. However, I wouldn't recommend Nokia. Then just aren't as good as Panasonic or Samsung phones. Their reception isn't as good, and the mike pickup tends to suck. Whatever happens though, steer clear of LG phones. I've never had a phone with such poor reception...ever.

Good luck with all that,
Rob

E

Eric Kahn

Buy Motorola, I had nothing but problems with the other brands I had and I can always tell when someone is talking on a nokia, sound quality is funky for the person on the other end

joe rizzuto

Stunt Coordinator
http://www.howardforums.com./
try this forum for some useful info.
i just changed phones from nokia to lg tm520. the nokia crapped out with increased use and the lg has much better reception and sound quality. (at least out here in the west) as far as your friend, if it's her money it's her decision. (imho)

Scott Bourden

Second Unit
http://www.howardforums.com./
try this forum for some useful info.
i just changed phones from nokia to lg tm520. the nokia crapped out with increased use and the lg has much better reception and sound quality. (at least out here in the west) as far as your friend, if it's her money it's her decision. (imho)
Thanks for the link Joe, it is very helpful.
As for her money her decision, it's not a friend but a long time girlfriend, and I know in the end it's her call, but she is (honestly) picking it because she thinks it is the most "pretty"... And from the problems I'm reading about the Audiovox 8100, I REALLY want her to know what she's getting into, at about $230 CAD.

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
However, I wouldn't recommend Nokia. Then just aren't as good as Panasonic or Samsung phones
That's not necessarily true. I wouldn't recommend Nokia if you are in an analogue area, or if you frequently are in analogue areas. If not and you are using a Nokia phone in digital areas, you probably won't have any problems.

I had nothing but trouble with my Audiovox phone, but the newer ones like the 9100 series are pretty good. Motorola is a pretty good brand as well, but some of the less expensive models are made with faulty antennas.

I would go with an LG phone. They are a good bang for the buck. Not too expensive and and they are good quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks