What's new

Opinion on Pioneer receivers ? (specifically VSX-D508) (1 Viewer)

Boka

Stunt Coordinator
Whats the general opinion on Pioneer home theater receivers ? Currently I have a VSX-D508 model, 100W x 5.
Decent, or is it my systems weak link ?

Thanks for any help.

Justin Ward

Supporting Actor
I have a Pioneer VSX-D510 receiever. It is my first one so I really can't say if it is better than others around the same price. I am very impressed by the sound. I decided that I would not need a big dollar receiver because it was unlikely that I would get speakers good enough for me to tell the difference. Plus, I was on a tight budget and I decided I would rather spend my money on speakers(which generally don't go out of date) then spending a big wad of cash on a high dollar receiever that may be obsolete in 5 years. As for sound quality I think it is quite good for a cheap receiver. In stereo mode it easily outperforms an old Technics receiver which was one of the better ones in its time. Surround mode is awesome but it lacks Pro-Logic 2 if that matters to you. Personnally, I don't notice much difference between any 2 recievers and I figure that money invested in speakers achives a more noticeable improvement. I'm just a newbie though.

Bob Marker

Stunt Coordinator
Boka:
I have an inexpensive Pioneer receiver (model SX 205)in my modest home theater that I have been very pleased with. While it dosen't have the best build quality, its sound quality is beyond reproach. In fact, I have used this receiver to drive the Thiel speakers in my music playback system and could not detect any diference between the Pioneer (which cost $100) and my other amps that cost up to $2500!! I'd say your Pioneer should meet your needs fine.

I would also second Justin's comments about the importance of speakers. The speakers (and how they are placed within your room)are, IMO, by far the most important factors in determining the overall sound of a system.

Hope you enjoy your system.

Bob

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks