What's new

Opinion on Kenwood HTB-505 (1 Viewer)

AllanY

Auditioning
Hi, i'm planning to buy a home theatre in a box package from Kenwood HTB-505 (which the receiver is Kenwood VR-606). any opinion??? thanks!!

well, i know u guys would hate "HT in box" package. but i heard some good things about this package. Here's the package summary:

Home theater receiver:
- built-in Dolby Digital/DTS/Pro Logic II decoding
- 5 stereo DSP modes (Arena, Jazz Club, Theater, Stadium, Disco)
- Cinema EQ
- 5-channel KAM-1™ amplifier (100 watts x 5)
- AM/FM tuner with 40 station presets
- -3 audio inputs (1 is in/out)
- no phono input
- 2 A/V inputs (1 is in/out); composite and S-video
- 1 monitor video output (composite and S-video)
- 3 digital audio inputs (1 optical, 2 coaxial)
- 96kHz/24-bit audio DAC
- multibrand remote control
- 17-3/8"W x 5-5/8"H x 11"D

Subwoofer:
- 8" cone
- 100-watt built-in amplifier
- ported enclosure
- 11-7/8"W x 13-1/8"H x 19-3/8"D
- Front speakers (left, center, right):
- 2-way design with dual 4" woofers and 1" tweeter
acoustic suspension
- 7-1/2"W x 15-1/4"H x 8-3/8"D (center speaker: 13-7/8"W x 5-15/16"H x 4-1/8"D)

Surround speakers:
- video-shielded, 2-way design with 4" woofer and 1" tweeter
- acoustic suspension
- built-in wall-mount brackets
- 5-1/4"W x 8-9/16"H x 5-3/8"D

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
I have an older version of the same package (Mine lacks Pro-Logic 2).

The speakers aren't too bad (Better than BOSE!), but the subwoofer is crap; It clicks, it pops, it bottoms-out too early and too often. An inexpensive Sony SW-Ma40 or similar subwoofer would be my first upgrade (assuming you can't afford an SVS).

Aside from that, its an OK system for the price. I lived with mine and was happy for a few years until I upgraded.

Brendan M.

Grip
I have the Kenwood HTB-505 (purchased at BB about 4 months ago).

I'm fairly happy with it. If you are a home theater beginner (like myself) it does the job pretty well. Sure, the picky audiophiles say HTB systems suck, but if you're on a budget and want something decent, this system is great. I bought it after reading several good reviews of it on both hometheatermag and cnet and after a few months usage I'm happy with my choice.

My main complaints:

1) Front Speaker Size. The front speakers are an awkward size. Way too small to be put on the floor, and too big and heavy for speaker stands or bookshelves (especially if you don't want to have to spend the extra money and space on heavy duty speaker stands). I wound up having to custom-build a set of shelves and anchor them to the wall in order to put the speakers on.

2) Sub Woofer Auto Power On-Off. For the first few days after I got the system setup I kept hearing a loud 'click' sound randomly coming from my subwoofer. I soon discovered in the manual that it has an automatic 'standby mode' that will kick in after 12 minutes of no signal being sent to the sub. The next time the sub gets a signal it auto-kicks back in. When the sub automatically turns off OR back on it generates a click sound that is quite loud and annoying. I have the sub next to my sofa now (its unshielded, so can't have it near the tv), and so it is impossible not to hear when it kicks off/on. I HATE this feature. If anyone knows a way to stop it, please let me know.

If you can get past those two issues, the system is great.

RobertCharlotte

Supporting Actor
I have the HTB-504 (I think ... it's the one that came with the VR-507 receiver), and I think it's an excellent entry-level setup. I did want to comment on Brendan's points, though:
2) Sub Woofer Auto Power On-Off... For the first few days after I got the system setup I kept hearing a loud 'click' sound randomly coming from my subwoofer.
I agree that this "feature" is very annoying and that because of this, the subwoofer probably will be (as Garrett says) the first element I upgrade.

Oh, and Allan: one thing you mention as a feature is the "built-in wall-mount brackets" on the surround speakers. Be aware, they are nothing but little metal brackets with "keyhole" mounts cut into them and are thus wholly useless unless you want to mount the speakers flat against the wall pointing straight out. I removed them and bought some speaker mounts at Lowe's that gave me some flexibility.

Gates

Auditioning
I bought one of these about a month ago and have been very happy with it. I'm sure it doesn't sound as good as something high end, but it sure doesn't sound terrible; not by a long shot. It's definitely a nice sounding system, especially for the price.

About the subwoofer 'clicking' thing, I'm wondering if newer versions have a slightly different sub. Mine doesn't make that clicking noise when it wakes up from standby. I've stood right beside it while the light is red and watched as I've started a movie, seeing the light turn green and LFE effects start coming through....but without any clicking. In fact, other than when I physically turn the sub on, I never hear it making any noise. So like I said, maybe newer models have a slightly upgraded subwoofer. In any case, you can't go wrong with this system....go for it!

Brendan M.

Grip
I may be mistaken about the click sound happening when the sub 'wakes' back up from standby mode. However, I am certain that it happens when the sub goes INTO standby mode. Unfortunately I use my amp for all sound (watching normal tv as well as movies), and it seems that while watching normal tv programs there is frequently no signal to the sub, or that the sub is only needed a couple times during a program, so I hear the auto-standby 'click' quite frequently. I suppose if you are only watching movies with the amp the auto-standby might not happen as often.

Maybe I'll contact Kenwood to see if they have any suggestions about this problem.

RobertCharlotte

Supporting Actor
I am certain that it happens when the sub goes INTO standby mode.
Second that. It is the standby mode clicking the amp off that makes the most objectionable sound. I am sure that mine is made worse by the fact that my subwoofer is more or less right in front of me, but I don't have any really good options for relocating it, alas.

Jeremy Stockwell

Supporting Actor
Allan,

I have the HTB-504 from Kenwood. It's a decent setup in my opinion. I have to disagree that the sub is crap as someone else mentioned. Yeah, it's only an 8" driver and 100W, but it was capable in my rather large room (3000 cu. ft. + open into Kitchen and hallway). I've heard others say that the sub is among the best available in a HTiB system. I never bottomed it, but got some distortion at volumes higher than my normal listening levels.

I quickly replaced the mains with some better speakers that I already had on hand, but I still use the center and surrounds from this system. I recently replaced the sub with a DIY Tempest that I'm very happy with. The receiver with DD, DTS, DPL, DPLII, and circle surround gives me all the listening modes I'm aware of in a 5.1 setup.

The auto-on "click" was audible but never bothered me. One "solution" for this would be to raise the level on the receiver's sub pre out and lower the level on the sub's built in amp. This allows more signal to get to the sub which will prevent it from turning off due to lack of signal.

Generally, I'd say go for it. I doubt you'll be disapponted.

JKS

isaac

Auditioning
I've been the owner of a 505 for about a month now, and am pleased by the sound. Sure it isn't the best sound out there, but for its price, and convience, its pretty damn good. Also, my living room is fairly small, so they more than do the job of filling it.

My box had a huge sticker on it, that pointed out an upgraded sub - 130 watts (who knows how accurate it that is), and I have to say, I haven't noticed any of the clicking sounds other people have pointed out.

Gates

Auditioning
I've also had mine for about a month, and I don't have the clicking either. Someone suggested that the clicking is most audible when the system goes into standby rather than waking up from, so I've been paying extra attention to it over the last couple of days. I've found that it is indeed totally silent.....whether going into or coming out of standby, it's quiet as a mouse. I'm glad to see that there's someone else who isn't experiencing this "annoyance." Lends credence to the idea that the newer ones have an improved sub. All the more reason to pick one up!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks