Sony DVP-NS325 opinions? Other options?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Marc Bax, Oct 1, 2003.

1. Marc Bax

Marc Bax Second Unit

Hi people, first post. I was wondering if any you have opinions about the Sony DVP-NS325 DVD player? I'm in the market for a cheap dvd player, progressive scan isn't a factor for me any time soon. I recently purchased a Toshiba SD-2900 and wasn't happy with the anamorphic downconversion, at least I think that was the problem as I read it on Cnet. Cnet claims this Sony is the best entry level player for downconversion. Now I'm just finding out about this CUE problem and was wondering if anyone knows if this Sony unit has it? My last dvd player was a Sony DVP-S360 (famous for the C 13:00 errors) I was hoping to stay away from Sony this round but I can't seem to find anything else that will work for me. I need it to cost under $130, have a coaxial digital output, mp3 playback, and picture quality (downconversion) is the most important thing. I'm hooking it up to a 27" Toshiba (model number unknown offhand) thru component, and a Kenwood HTB 505 thru coaxial (optical is being used by the Xbox)... That brings up one more question which is better optical or coaxial, any difference? Thanks in advance for any responses I get, sorry for such a lengthy post.

-Marc Bax

2. TylerZ

TylerZ Stunt Coordinator

Marc,
    Seeing your from the land of beer and brats, cheese and the Pack, you can't be far from an American TV. My daughter just bought the 625 from them for $110 a couple weeks ago for her bedroom. She likes to load 5 CD's and shuffle through them. She is quite happy with it for the $$. They had the 325 for $89. For the price I don't think you can go wrong if you don't need progressive scan. But be aware it doesn't have a zoom feature if that matters to you at all. I'm not sure what you mean by the CUE problem, can you explain?

3. Marc Bax

Marc Bax Second Unit

It's the "chroma bug" here's a description. Err I had a link but they won't let me post links tell I post 15 times. You can do a search for chroma bug in the forum here they've got lots of info. I can't really explain it very well I just found out about what causes it. Basically it's an error commonly found in dvd players that makes all your reds look streaky and blocky. I've noticed it on a lot of players, I just never knew what it was called.

P.S. GO PACK GO

4. Drew_W

Drew_W Screenwriter

5. TylerZ

TylerZ Stunt Coordinator

Marc,
    I have heard and read up on the dreaded chromo-bug. I didn't know it was refered to as CUE though. And Drew is correct, the 325 doesn't have the optical out.

6. Marc Bax

Marc Bax Second Unit

Yeah I know the 325 doesn't have optical. I was just asking to see if I should be looking for a player with optical instead. I figured there wasn't too much of a difference and since I've got 2 open coaxial inputs it's probably better to use one of them instead of splitting the optical anyways. I guess the 325 will probably suit me just fine, although I just noticed it won't random play mp3s, grrrr. Thanks though.