What's new

Onkyo + Fluance: Good Match? (1 Viewer)

Kean-Hock Yeap

Stunt Coordinator
I am currently using Fluance SX-HTB speakers with Sherwood RD-6108 Receiver. Have had this set up for about 1 year and am now getting bitten by upgrade bug.

I have been seeing Onkyo TX-SR502 on sale at local Fry's for $225. Am wondering if

(1) Onkyo would be a good receiver to pair up with Fluance speakers because I remember reading somewhere that Onkyos don't work well with bright speakers,
(2) SR-502 is a significant upgrade sound quality-wise from the Sherwood RD-6108 (I know that the Onkyo has more features)

Would appreciate any input or recommendation anyone would have on the subject matter.

I am using the set up for 90% HT and 10% music. I can afford to spend about $300 for the upgrade in case you have other receiver recommendation.

Thanks in advance!

Hank VT

Agent
That's the setup I have and it works very well. I don't know that the upgrade is significant enough to warrant an upgrade of that level.

A refurbed Denon might be the answer or perhaps adding a subwoofer.

Jean D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jean D
I have the SX-HTB's as well, but Ive got a Cheap Sony reciever running them. Im gonna save for a Denon 3805 eventually, along with upgrading my sub to an SVS. But for now, I really dont see it as being feasible to upgrade just yet, unless I actually had extra cash lying around. Maybe you should just hold off and save up for something you really want. Unless your dead set on upgrading.

DorianBryant

Screenwriter
Try the Panny SA-XR50. Brand new for $240 delivered. I compared it to the Onky 601, Yammy HTR-5590, and Pioneer Elite VSX-41. Panny has equal power, better detail, clarity and imaging. All digital sound, no conversion from analog to digital needed via coax or fiber optics.

The only negative for me with the panny is the crossover and lack of OSD. One of the best deals out there aside from the Dayton 10" sub.

kevin tate

Stunt Coordinator
I have not heard of the Onkyo 502, but I listened to both the Onkyo 501 & your Sherwood, and there is no improvement as far as dynamics. The Onkyo 501 is brighter than the Sherwood.

Kean-Hock Yeap

Stunt Coordinator
Hank and Jean: You are probably right that I should hold off. It's just very tempting . . . the darn upgrade bug you know :).

DorianBryant: What do you think of the lack of Prologic IIx on the XR-50? Also, I don't have a sub (wife hates the extra bass), would the XR-50 have problem having to drive the two fronts harder?

Kevin: Just curious, which receiver did you end up with?

Seems like the feedbacks so far suggest that the Onkyo SR502 is not much of an upgrade to my current set up. Assuming I can spend up to $350, which particular receiver would be a worthwhile upgrade, refurb or new?

Thanks for all the input!

DorianBryant

Screenwriter
I started out without a sub with the 50. I ran my S38II's and N26's on large and it sounds pretty good. No problem running them full range. Sound and Vision Mag rated the XR45 to have 82 watts per channel with 5 channels being driven. More power than the Yammy 777 and HK 330.

I now use the Dayton 10" ($125!!!)sub from PE which is a great sub for under $300.

I actually use two N24's wired in series with the 50. I wish it did have PLIIX as well. With the two surround back speakers though it works much better than one center in the back. The receiver has plenty of power. I have the trim level set to +5 for the dual N24's.

I compared the panny to the Onkyo 601, pioneer Elite VSX-41, and Yammy HTR-5590. I think the Pannny was the best sounding regardless of price.

Jean D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jean D
Kean, still got the upgrade bug? if your wife doesnt approve of a subwoofer's bass output, you could always get some bass shakers and bolt em under the couch or chairs or however you want to spice up your experience without any audible changes. And you wont have to worry so much about low bass from the fronts. and if she doesnt like the vibrations, you can always dial her's down. check these out.

www.thebuttkicker.com

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks