What's new

HELP - Need to buy speakers for new receiver (1 Viewer)

bhotia

Auditioning
Real Name
anand shah
Hello All,

I have just bought a new Onkyo TX-SR304B Home Theater Receiver from circuit city for $195. The price on Amazon is $150. Thats when I decided that I am going to need to help with the speaker kit
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

My budget is between $200 to $ 300max. I live in a small room 20ft X 12ft. I love listening to various different forms of music (Trance, Jazz, Indian Classical, Rock, Ambient) and also love watching TV and movies.

I have seen some on Amazon which I like

1. Boston Acoustics Horizon Series MCS100MDNT 5.1-Channel Speaker System for $200

2. Acoustimass 3 Series IV speaker system for $200

3. Fluance Surround Sound Home Theater 5 Speaker System AV-HTB for $200

I dont mind mixing and matching diff speaker sets. Is it possible to use my reciever with only 2 speakers and subwoofer or do I need to use a 5.1 kit with this.

Please recommend a good set of speakers.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Anand

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Starting with 2.0, 2.1, or 3.0 is probably a good idea given your budget. If music is a priority then you may want to consider 3.0 with tower main speakers... something like Polk Monitor 50s and CS1 ($280 shipped from NewEgg) would be a great start and allow you to add surrounds (Monitor 30s) and a subwoofer (something like a PA-120 or similar) as your budget allows.

Another option, especially if you are the primary listener and don't use the system with large groups often, would be to start with a 4.0 system consisting of tower mains and bookshelf surrounds. The upside here is you get the benefit of surround, the downside being you're using a Phantom center... this can work very well for a single listener in the stereo sweet-spot, but does not produce a convincing phantom center effect for those outside of the sweet-spot. Again, Polk Monitor 50s for the mains along with Monitor 30s for surrounds (from NewEgg) would fit your budget and allow you to add a center (CS1) and subwoofer as you felt the need and/or have the budget.

If music is your PRIMARY concern, starting out 2.0 would give you the best music performance... something like the Polk T90e (European version of the Monitor 60) or Infinity Primus P362 would be a good choice in your budget... the latter often goes on sale as low as $99/each from Frys, so even 3.0 or 4.0 wouldn't be out of the question if you catch a sale.

sestamuch

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jonas

On Circuit City? Wasn't it supposed to be cheaper because they were closing? And even compared with Amazon, I think newegg has better prices that you can take advantage of for buying this stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zoobird
Recent bookmarks