Fluance versus Onkyo HT-S660

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Donald_S, Oct 26, 2003.

1. Donald_S

Donald_S Stunt Coordinator

Given a choice between these two high end (smile) speaker packages I have two questions.

First, which would you choose for Home Theater (won't be used for music)?

Second, if I go with the Fluance, what subwoofer would be a good match? Should I get a fluance sub?

I've read good things about both packages. The one big difference I see is that the Fluance speakers, particularly the surrounds, seem to be more efficient (86db versus 82db).

Yeah, I know I'm being cheap, but I'm starting cheap on purpose. I figure these basically are disposable at the price.

Thanks guys,

Donald

2. gene c

gene c Producer

Gene
    I have the Onkyo HT-500's with the same 82 on the surrounds and haven't noticed a problem yet. I am running an H/K 520 which has a very strong amp. That helps alot as low efficient speakers need more power to drive them. I think it would be less of a problem with movies than with music, although mine are mostly used for music. Anyway, I am very happy with my "hi-end" Onkyo's. I know nothing of Fluance but have heard nice things about them. Gene

3. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

There have been alot of great reviews on the Fluance SX-HTB here on the HTF. That said, I've heard the Onkyo HT-500s and was not impressed, especially w/ the subwoofer. The subwoofer may have soured me on the whole system which probably wasn't fair. personally if I were looking at something in the price range I would go w/ the Fluance and the best sub I could afford (Dayton 10", Sony WM40 or WM500, Adire Rava, or preferably DIY).

4. Fred G

Fred G Agent

Stephen, I agree. The subwoofer on that system was really uninspiring when I heard it, and I am by no means a bass chaser. The sub on the system seems almost nonexistent, even turned all the way up. However I'm sure the Onkyos would produce decent sound with a different sub.

All that said, I'd still get the Fluance due to personal preference. You don't have to worry about speaker stands and if you just like the look of floor speakers they have that going for them.

Also, the SX-HTB in particular, is much more aesthetically pleasing than the Onkyo satellites, which look very cheap and plastic-like.

5. Ian-Fl

Ian-Fl Second Unit

When I was doing research that seemed to be a common theme about speaker packages that included subs."The sub was too weak." I reasoned that manufactures were trying to reach their target markets by low-balling on the subs.
    That reason was why I chose the sx-htb and decided to add the sub at my choosing. I'm starting to realize now that was a good strategy.

6. deryck_s

deryck_s Auditioning

i pref. the onkyo recievers (strong and reliable) but true the sub is kinda weak. if you want alternative (better value too) check out the ht-ss760. 6.1 stronger amp w/component switching and a much better sub and fronts.

7. Anthony*B

Anthony*B Stunt Coordinator

hehe...if you get the SX-HTB's plus the Dayton 10" sub, i'll bet you won't think of it as a "disposable" setup when you hear it....the combo sounds very, very nice to me (not great for (rock) music (the Fluance's do produce female vocals very well IMHO...specifically Loreena McKennit [​IMG]...the biggest problems w/ the Fluance's (a friend & I came to this conclusion about mine) is that the fronts are VERY "bass heavy" in sound...some people would probably love this, but I'm a "treble man" hehe
    get the Fluance's...I'd be shocked if they don't really surprise the h*** out of you for the $$$

8. Ian-Fl

Ian-Fl Second Unit

That's funny Anthony that you said you didn't think the Fluance speakers sounded good with rock music. I thought mine sounded good with rock.
    I sound proofed my basement and killed alot of the reverb in doing that. We don't have the same receivers either.

9. Donald_S

Donald_S Stunt Coordinator

I was wondering if anyone had feedback specifically about dialog with either of these two packages. I've read a few things about dialog being indistinct with both of them.

Thanks,

Donald

10. Ian-Fl

Ian-Fl Second Unit

The center speaker is clear and crisp. I suspect you've read something that has to do with room accoustics.
    If a room is lively and has alot of reflective sounds you're going to get dialogue that's boomy and unclear.

11. gene c

gene c Producer

Gene
    The only complaint I have with my HT-500's is I wish the center had 5" woofers instead of the 4" one's. Not a huge deal though as increasing the bass on the receiver and the volume of the center channel makes it sound a little larger. this is good for dialog. Others have voiced disappointment with the sub but it seems fine to me. I usually have to turn it down! But I like the sub to fill in the low end and not dominate it as most others do. I got mine at Fry's in June for $129. and at that price they were hard to beat. Those Fluance's sure look impresive on their web site though. Gene

12. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Cinematographer

I've got the Fluance AV-HTB setup (with an Onkyo TX-SR601). I cheaped on the sub, budget and all, picked up a Sony WM20 sub for $50. Happy with the speakers, the WM20 is definitely not the greatest (I get too much reverb & rattling on some movies, Matrix reloaded was a major offender). VERY aggravating. My next upgrade will not be speakers, which I like very much. It will be a reputable $200-300ish subwoofer, and the Sony'll get pitched to the curb.