What's new

Onkyo drops HD DVD player? (1 Viewer)

Lyle_JP

Screenwriter
I think this article answers the question "Why hasn't Sony dropped the price of their blu-ray machines like Toshiba?". Clearly, they're not eager to piss off all the other manufacturers and go it alone like Toshiba is.

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
After the recent revelations that it was simply clone of the XA2 I don't suppose I'm really surprised that they decided to cancel this model. I expected that they would either cancel the unit altogether (which I considered least likely) or were going to be forced to make drastic pricing cuts.

I wonder if this news will affect any plans that Samsung or LG currently have in relation to HD DVD? I don't suspect they will cancel their combo players but I do recall rumors of standalone HD DVD units under consideration.

Phil Taylor

Supporting Actor
I hope they come back with a hybrid -- a high quality full featured hybrid. I bet they could sell quite a few of them. :)

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Combo players have their own particular draw to those who are interested in them and can command prices (apparently) in the $1K range, so I don't think this will affect the attitudes of those making combo units.

ReggieW

Screenwriter
I saw the Onkyo at Fry's early last week. The salesman told me they had just received them.

I don't know the nature of this article, but apparently they're out there and being sold at least in the States. The unit was recently added to Onkyo USA's site as now available, so until I hear otherwise from Onkyo, I'd treat this with due skepticism.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
The article implied that a certain number of units had shipped... but that this would be the last shipment.

I hope we'll hear something "official" soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks