What's new

Onkyo CD Players (1 Viewer)

Carl Miller

Screenwriter
If I missed this topic in my search, my apologies.

I'm in the market for a new CD player, and am considering an Onkyo for it's low price and decent performance. However my last Onkyo CD player had one flaw..the drawer would occassionally open up after closing it, sometimes several times before it would stay shut and play the disc. I had heard that this was a known and somewhat common issue, but I don't know if it still exists.

Does anyone out there have a new or relatively new Onkyo CD player and find this to be a problem?

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Matthew said:
I had TWO previous Onkyo 6 CD carousel changers and BOTH units developed the exact same problem over time where the drawer would open and then immediately close.
After two negative experiences with Onkyo, you went out and bought an Onkyo receiver? ;)

AaronD

Stunt Coordinator
How come you can forgive Onkyo for their mistakes and not Sony... :)
Hehe.
-Aaron

Carl Miller

Screenwriter
Matthew,
You weren't alone. There's no telling how many others out there are suffering silently with this mysterious problem.:)
I'd heard of a few other instances where people experienced this issue, but never gave it much thought until now.
I did send off an e-mail to Onkyo, and I'll post the reply here soon as it comes in.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
i have a somewhat old (about 3-4 yrs) onkyo 6-disc changer. so far so good...no funky weird drawer problems.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Matthew said:

My Onkyo TX-DS797 receiver is operating perfectly. But I would not have purchased it from anywhere else but Crutchfield where I knew I had the 30 days to completely check it out.
I am 99% certain that Circuit City sells the 'DS797. They have a 30-day money-back guarantee too, plus you wouldn't have to ship the receiver back.

Finally, I think Aaron makes a good point, which is where I was going with my previous post. I am surprised that you were so quick to forgive Onkyo, yet you won't forgive Sony. By the way, if you are interested in buying an SACD player and won't buy a Sony, you will have to go with a Marantz (most Sony SACD players are cheaper, and they are great components), a mega-buck, high-end model from Accuphase or Classe, or the Pioneer Elite DV-47A. I view the '47A as a compromised product from an audio standpoint.

Allen Longcor

Supporting Actor
For that price range I would pick up the SCD775 from Sony. I had the 6 cd Onkyo changer, and it was ok, but with the Sony you get better cd play AND you get SACD. SACD is definitely worth it! Once you hear it you won't want to buy anymore cds :) Crutchfield carries this model.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Matthew, if Circuit City charges a 15% restocking fee, then it is a relatively new practice. In the past two years, I have returned a Philips CD recorder and a pair of Sennheiser headphones for a full refund. I simply didn't like the headphones, and the recorder made a fair number of coasters. I didn't state that the recorder was defective. Rather, I just said that I wasn't happy with the performance. Anyway, I have never come across a national chain that charges a restocking fee, so if Circuit City does that now, I won't be buying gear from them. It's not like that is going to change my buying habits significantly since Circuit City has little hardware that interests me.
By the way, J&R Music World offers a 30-day full money-back guarantee. They even will refund the return shipping. They don't make as easy as Crutchfield, but it works. Crutchfield gives you a pre-paid UPS shipping label if you want to return an item, but with J&R, you pay the shipping and get refunded. The only catch is that they like you to ship via UPS Ground and you cannot use Mail Boxes, Etc. or a similar shipping service. Anyway, J&R doesn't charge a restocking fee.
Anyway, you are a tough, though somewhat inconsisten cookie. You can't forgive Sony or Circuit City, but Onkyo is in your good graces. To each his own. ;)

Gerard Martin

Second Unit
Matthew

If Circuit City in your neck of the

woods charges a 15% restocking fee it

doesn,t here unless you are speaking

of something like a computer where

people have taken advantage of them,

(used the computer to do their work)

then returned it. TV's Receivers, DVD's

VCR's still have a 30 day no questions asked full refund return policy.

KyleS

Screenwriter
Circuit City, unless it is a really new policy, doesnt charge a restocking fee on the Audio/video products.

I currently have an Integra (Onkyo) CDC-3 6 disc CD-changer and have not experienced any of the problems that you guys are talking about. It has been a top notch player for the last year and a half for me.

KyleS

Carl,

What price range when you say cheap were you looking at?

Carl Miller

Screenwriter
Thanks for the replies. For whatever it's worth, Onkyo replied to my e-mail stating this drawer opening thing wasn't a known issue.

Carl Miller

Screenwriter
Matthew,

Yep, I was thinking the same thing about Onkyo's quick reply. I've had a bunch of Onkyo products over the years and have always been happy with them so I'm going to pick up their 6 CD changer from onecall, which has it for $169 including shipping...best price I could find.

Andre Aguiar

Agent
Guys, I have the 211 model I bought back in 1994 (got the sticker underneath to prove it :) ). I have not had 1 single problem with this player. I now have it hooked up to my TX-DS797 receiver (I like the fact that with the RI cable when I hit play on the CD player the receiver switches to CD automatically).
As for prices? I suggest to everyone who has an Onkyo product to join Club Onkyo on their website. You get great prices! I was able to get the 380 model for my uncle for $94 with free shipping! I pays to be part of the club and its free.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks