What's new

One Step Beyond -- Restored! (1 Viewer)

Tooncy

Second Unit
You are correct. This set is worth having, and it's the size of a regular DVD case. Most of them look so much better than the Mill Creek stuff.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
I have the Mill Creek "The Very Best of" set. Are all those episodes also included here?

Edit: Looks like that's the same set as the 50 episode set previously mentioned, so add me to the list that's curious about that, along with anything potentially new here that wasn't already in the Mill Creek or season 1 sets.

Tooncy

Second Unit
The Mill Creek set contains 50 episodes. This one has 70. I can't say if all the episodes on the Mill Creek release are here without digging that one out. But you would not be disappointed with this one. Much more watchable.

Tooncy

Second Unit
For $11.99, you can't go wrong, that's the Amazon price. I know you're concerned about shelf space. This is like a regular DVD case. Just get a copy!

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
I went through the set and there are a lot of well worn 16mm prints used. Not even sure if they are directly from the films. Looks like they may have taken many of the episodes from previous releases that were done on DVD or VHS. Also, there are several episodes that run around 22 minutes which were taken from someone's off air recordings on VHS. Not even first generation either. They look to me to be around 3rd. And of course the phantom episode, which was never part of the series, that someone just stuck a OSB opening on.

Tooncy

Second Unit
I agree about the 16mm prints. Some episodes look a lot better than others. A few look like 3rd generation video. But quite a few look better than on any other PD release I've seen.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
I have watched few episodes now as such I really like the show. The episodes can be intense, especially due to fact they are only about 25 minutes in length.

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
Has it ever been determined for sure that every episode from the Mill Creek set is on this one?

And if this contains the complete first season in RELATIVELY comparable quality to the CBS release?

Tooncy

Second Unit
As stated previously, two episodes from the Mill Creek release are not on here. Those are "The Peter Hurkos Story", parts one and two. And yes, it contains the HD remasters from season one, and they look really good.

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
Tooncy said:
As stated previously, two episodes from the Mill Creek release are not on here. Those are "The Peter Hurkos Story", parts one and two. And yes, it contains the HD remasters from season one, and they look really good.
I recalled that the two part show was not included, but forgot to mention it in my post. I should have been more clear. It seemed there was some conflicting info in this thread-or maybe I'm just dense-but regardless, I appreciate you definitively answering my questions. Off to order it now!

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
I watched the navigator last night and it was amazing!! I cannot believe I found a gem with one step beyond! Twilight Zone is still my favorite show, but One Step Beyond is ranking up there with me as one the best sci-fantasy shows for me!

Pathfiner

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeff
Yeah OSB WAS as much liked as 'The Twilight Zone' back then circa 1959/61 - somehow it became 'eclipsed' somewhat by both 'Twilight Zone' & 'The Outer Limits' over time never being rerun for many years (certainly not later in the UK where in the early sixties it was a much watched and highly rated show) - besides the Sci Fi channel later rerunning them with the revised opening in the 90's

- they included the unusual episode; 'The Sacred Mushroom' (not on Mill Creek or this new set) which features John Newland taking part in some ESP experiments

Sci Fi channel also screened 'The Next Step Beyond' - a later colour series (with some remade episodes from OSB) which an elderly John Newland in specs, just as charming and enigmatic as ever, introduced every bit as superbly !

(didn't he put it over well ?, both OSB and TNSB shows)

episodes such as; 'If You See Sally' (not on this set), 'Night of April 14th' (re the Titanic),'The Dark Room','Twelve Hours To Live', 'Premonition', 'Tonight at 12.17', 'The Dead Part of The House','Where Are They ?', 'The Haunted U Boat', 'Brainwave', 'The Clown', 'Encounter' (a UFO episode), 'Gypsy', 'Tidalwave', 'Anniversary of a Murder' etc, really cling in the memory

In addition to the American filmed segments some episodes of OSB were filmed over in Britain at MGM Borehamwood, with British actors including a memorable episode with Donald Pleasance as a lawyer visited by a 'murder victim' of the case he is working on....

Tooncy

Second Unit
I'm not surprised to hear that. It does play more like a British show than other programs of this type.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
Tooncy said:
I'm not surprised to hear that. It does play more like a British show than other programs of this type.

Thanks for the comments!

I am sci-fi fan as such I will always look for shows that I was too young or was not born when the sci-fi shows aired.

oldtvshowbuff

Supporting Actor
Real Name
James Beer
DeWilson said:
Phantom episode? '
The 'phantom' episode in question is "Midnight", which originally aired on the "Stars Over Hollywood" series during the 1950-51 season on NBC. It was also titled "Armour Theater" and was produced by Revue.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
ToddR2 said:
Neil, I think it's the usual copy and paste from IMDB, just as the incorrect airdate for Tidal Wave has been repeated ad nausem, even in Muir's book on the series IIRC.

If Midnight aired as a One Step Beyond episode, I want someone to show me a TV Guide or a newspaper TV listing from that date with it listed as airing. Because its never been in the syndication package so if its a OSB episode, it only aired that once and I've looked in both the TV Guide and NY Times for that date and it isn't there.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks