What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

One Eyed Jacks on Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
He's not complaining - he likes it better because it looks like 1:75 to him. One needs to read the article linked, not the article's headline which is misleading.

"Well, guess what? The Jacks a.r. didn’t look like 1.85 to me — it definitelylooked more like 1.75. Speaking as an ex-projectionist and an a.r. fanatic second to none I know exactly and precisely what 1.85 vs. 1.75 are shaped like, and I’m telling you there’s an ample amount of headroom in every shot. To my enormous relief Jacks didn’t feel cut off or cramped in the slightest. And that, to me, spells 1.75."

Well, if he thought it was 1.85, he'd be complaining.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
The stunning new restoration of ONE-EYED JACKS from Universal Pictures and the Film Foundation premiered yesterday at the Cannes Film Festival.

I'm pleased to report it was presented in the miracle of 1.85:1, which was the intended aspect ratio for VistaVision from day one.

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/05/16/marlon-brando-one-eyed-jacks-cannes

Thanks Bob, great stories!

Two questions for the people who run the Cannes show:

1. Why is the movie presented on a screen that is so small that it could be seen in a bigger home theater?
This is VistaVision and I would have hoped for a premiere on a 10+ meter wide screen, not on such a small scale.
2. Have they never heard about showmanship? No curtains in front of the screen when no movie is shown?

Good one about the "miracle of 1.85"! I always thought it was the miracle of Todd-AO but maybe with Jeffrey Welles trying to get VistaVision movies released in a 1.66:1 aspect ratio it is indeed a miracle we are getting this in 1,85:1...

Last edited:

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
I'm not sure if these have been posted before, but i guess they are coming from the new restoration:

thumb_1329_film_main_big.jpeg

thumb_1851_film_film_big.jpeg

http://www.festival-cannes.com/zh/ying-pian/one-eyed-jacks

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
well, these are small highly compressed images.
I'm sure if you took screenshots from the Spartacus Bluray and compress them and make them small, they won't look any better than this.

and here's an example:

ms.png

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
I cannot comment on how small and compressed the original images are but even on a 4k monitor they blow up to full screen size when I click on them which is unfortunate with pictures of this quality.

What is interesting is that they are in a 16:9 / 1.78:1 aspect ratio so if they are from the restoration then it may not be faithful to the 1.85:1 aspect ratio after all.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
16:9 & 1:85 are so close to each other it's really not worth worrying about, & I'm not bothered about the caps. I thought the Spartacus caps looked too cold, but then looking at the Blu-ray, I thought it looked spot on, so the only way to judge is to look at the disc.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
16:9 & 1:85 are so close to each other it's really not worth worrying about, & I'm not bothered about the caps. I thought the Spartacus caps looked too cold, but then looking at the Blu-ray, I thought it looked spot on, so the only way to judge is to look at the disc.

We do not even know if they are from the restoration but still it seems that an aspect ratio of 1.85:1 was claimed and now at least these stills are in 1.78:1.

I surely would not lose any sleep over it, anything that has been newly scanned and produced from the "new" team at Universal together with the film foundation should make for a stunning release, no matter if it is released in a 1,78 or 1,85:1 aspect ratio.

Douglas_H

Stunt Coordinator
Bumping this thread.
I don't remember if this is the only thread about the coming restored release but it's the only one I found.

I've looked in the all of the usual places but still haven't seen any updates on when this is coming out other than
the previous, Fall 2016.

Anyone have more recent info?
I'm really jonesing for this

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
Bumping this thread.
I don't remember if this is the only thread about the coming restored release but it's the only one I found.

I've looked in the all of the usual places but still haven't seen any updates on when this is coming out other than
the previous, Fall 2016.

My non-forum friends asked me last night if I have heard any updates about One-Eyed Jacks. I am wondering too.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Bumping this thread.

the previous, Fall 2016.

It's going round the international film festival circuits at the moment. It's showing at the Melbourne Film Festival this month and at the New York Film Festival in October. I'm hoping that it will be on at the London Film Festival in October. I suppose a Blu-ray will follow these showings.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Oh I hope it does get shown in The London Film Festival, my chance to see it on a big screen, I've only ever seen it on TV...in 4x3. I'll keep an eye out for what's on, just like I'm keeping an eye out for a Blu-ray release.

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter
Well it's now official that One-Eyed Jacks will finally be seen properly on home video via The Criterion Collection in blu ray come Nov 22. What I don't fully understand why the great music score by Hugo Friedhofer isn't going to be in stereo when it was recorded that way. Kritzerland Records released a very fine 2 disc recording of the original score and soundtrack album all in stereo. Why couldn't the people 'in charge' think of Friedhofer's score and present it in it's best light?

That said I'm very excited to finally have this film on blu ray!

Last edited:

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Well it's now official that One-Eyed Jacks will finally be seen properly on home video via The Criterion Collection in blu ray come Nov 22. What I don't fully understand why the great music score by Hugo Friedhofer isn't going to be in stereo when it was recorded that way. Kritzerland Records released a very fine 2 disc recording of the original score and soundtrack album all in stereo. Why couldn't the people 'in charge' think of Friedhofer's score and present it in it's best light?

That said I'm very excited to finally have this film on blu ray!

Well I suppose it depends what audo they have to work with, after all this time they may only have a full mix tape, dialogue/music/effects, even if they have dialogue & a mix of music & effects I don't know how they could use the stereo music tape without creating new effects. I understand that the stereo music tapes were found at a record company, Haineshisway would know. It's a great sounding CD, one of my favourite CD soundtracks, Kritzerland re-released it & it still hasn't sold out yet, it probably will now, Hugo Friedhofer's score is amazing.

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
I personally like the cover art, but it would have been better if they could have used one of the superb oil paintings that appear in the trailer...I'm glad to have this 4k scan restoration coming in blu of this great film...sadly, we know the original sins of neglect go back a long way with even the best source elements at hand...I too would have been even more thrilled if Friedhofer's exquisite score could have been presented in stereo ...isn't it one of his best? Stll, absolutely great news!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoneman66
Recent bookmarks