Once Upon A Time in America. Who edited these discs??

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Billy Fogerty, Jun 14, 2003.

1. Billy Fogerty

Billy Fogerty Stunt Coordinator

I just watched this movie. Why does it end on disc one before the intermission? Disc one ends at chapter 34 , intermission is chapter 44. A very lousy job. No reason they couldn't have at least went to the intermission on disc one. The Right Stuff was all on one disc and done superb. Warner blew it with WUATIA.

2. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese
    Nobody blew it. From The Digital Bits review by Robert Harris:

3. Billy Fogerty

It still ruins the continuity. I think they could have come up with a better solution. It just ends abruptly, when you are into the movie. They should have used a third disc for the extras. I don't buy the explanation. A superd job was done on the right stuff , which is a long film.

4. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese
    Aside from a low bit-rate audio commentary and a trailer, there are no special features on Disc One which could have been removed to allow nearly 40 more minutes on that disc.

Regarding The Right Stuff, every movie compresses differently. The type of photography present in OUATIA requires a very high bit rate to look good without artifacts.

5. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell

6. Billy Fogerty

I think at any cost they wanted to keep it a two discs.

7. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese
    That's very possible. But, as has been explained, making it three (or ten) discs would not have changed the way the first disc is presented at all.

8. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell

9. Rob W

Rob W Supporting Actor

Robert
    Damin, the explanation has already been given above by Robert Harris. I suspect you don't know who he is, or you wouldn't be questioning him. Among other things, he's the man who restored the film elements of LAWRENCE OF ARABIA and VERTIGO. He probably knows more about these things than any other regular contributor to this forum.

10. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

11. Ken Seeber

Ken Seeber Supporting Actor

12. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell

13. Henry Gale

Henry Gale Producer

14. Mark_vdH

Mark_vdH Screenwriter

15. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

The end of disc 1 is bothersome at first, but I find that on the second viewing, it didn't bother me at all. If you are quick at getting the disc 1 out and disc 2 in, and you keep hitting the MENU button, you will get to the menu quicker and then get on with the rest of the film.

Disc changes are annoying, I know, but it's all for the best... usually: anyone got the CAV edition of Poltergeist? 115-minute film spread over FIVE SIDES! [​IMG]

Gordy

16. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

It is annoying the sudden break with this monumental disc, yet at the same time, this allows you to have a breather in what is already a pulsating movie.

I don't find it a problem at all

[​IMG]

17. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Reviewer

Robert Harris
    For those who questioned one of Damin's respones, he did what I occasionally do, forgetting that everyone does not read either humor or comments between the lines.

I've been reminded many times not to make crytic remarks in print and never, ever to use dry humor telephonically with someone that I don't know. It will almost always be misconstrued. I still however, continue to do it. Ususlly to my detriment.

I read Damin's comments as if reiterating or continuing someone else's earlier remarks. Its frightening when one starts to be able to read into the various writing styles and personalities of the participants to HTF.

I've had the pleasure of meeting a number of people who stop in to visit HTF and having visited the websites of others. One that I found surprising, as he has a great deal of knowledge in film history, is Mr. McCart, who I believe is just graduating high school. Talk about an overachiever...

18. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

19. TonyDale

TonyDale Second Unit

Oh, yes! We laserdisc owners certainly DO know about inappropriate side breaks!

The first WS edition of THE SOUND OF MUSIC had the oddity of breaking the side in the midst of the song, "Do-Re-Mi."

20. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Reviewer

Robert Harris
    Some may be unaware that laser discs also had the interesting anomoly of being time compressed. At a production cost of approximately $6 per side, many films that were over 119, but less than 124 minutes were compressed to fit two sides.

An example of this can be found in Star Wars. Dozens of titles were treated in this manner. Most slight compression was transparent, much like PAL conversions.