What's new

Once Upon a Time in America on DVD soon? (1 Viewer)

wally_gobetz

Auditioning
Anyone heard any rumors about a Region 1 release of "Once Upon a Time in America"? I'm weighing whether to purchase the Region 0 Brazilian import, but it's in fullscreen without many extras and I don't want to have to do a repurchase in a few months.

Thanks!

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
should be after the UK r2 release which will be a 2 disc set on june 30, 2003 is what I am led to believe at the moment.
:D

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
We can only hope....and wait......and wait.....and wait.

This is definitely one of my most highly desired movies to be released on DVD.

Randy B A

Supporting Actor
new columbia house flier has this listed as available jan 7th. If this is true man this was way off the radar.

Anthony Thorne

Supporting Actor
It's not out Region 1 on January 7th. Most reports suggest that a good, remastered 2-disc set of the film will be arriving in most territories around mid-2003. This topic has come up a number of times and earlier threads have more specific info, but basically you'll be best advised to wait for Warner's proper Region 1 release.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
It seems likely that a superb 2-disc version will arrive in 2003. Will it be the restored 250-minute version though?

Amazing film. Can't wait to acquire the DVD edition.

Gordy

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
some time ago, www.r2-dvd.org reported that a commentary with James Woods, Robert DeNiro and others was being considered for r2, let's hope that this will be ported over to r1
Oscar

Chas_Michael

Second Unit
Anyone heard any rumors about a Region 1 release of "Once Upon a Time in America"? I'm weighing whether to purchase the Region 0 Brazilian import, but it's in fullscreen without many extras and I don't want to have to do a repurchase in a few months.

Hello,
Do you have a source for the Brazilian DVD? If so, Can you please post it! Thanks.

Chas_Michael

Second Unit
Merry Christmas,
Has anyone ordered from CD-Wow here in the U.S.? I was wondering if they ship free to the U.S. also?
Thanks.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Hey Y'all! I have actually seen in a store in NYC, a FULLSCREEN version on DVD. Didn't seem to be the director's cut. Odd, yes....?
Entertainment outlet on west 40th st.
:) D

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
Hey Y'all! I have actually seen in a store in NYC, a FULLSCREEN version on DVD. Didn't seem to be the director's cut. Odd, yes....?
I've seen the same disc at the Entertainment Outlet store on 14th Street. It's the R0 Brazilian import that wally mentions in the first post.

DJ

Nick C.

Second Unit
according to various usenet posts, the Brazilian release is of poor quality, sourced from Laserdisc? owners of the DVD also mentioned the Korean release offers much better picture quality (subtitles available in Korean and English)

Anthony Thorne

Supporting Actor
Chas, not every LD release was in widescreen. There were lots of fullscreen discs released during the format. If the DVD discussed here was ported over from a fullscreen LD it would indicate that the LD was released earlier in the time of that format, rather than later, and would therefore probably be an even crappier transfer. If anyone has to see the film right this minute on DVD, then I can understand why they may pick up the disc mentioned above, but they only have themselves to blame if they feel burned after the purchase when the remastered Warner edition streets in 6 months or so.

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
If sourced from LD why is it FULL FRAME?
As Anthony noted above, not every LD was widescreen for all films which had a widescreen OAR. Not even close to all. Although some would have us believe that LD was an OAR paradise and DVD is a ever-worsening MAR wasteland, I think an OAR enthusiast has it much better today with DVD than at pretty much any point in LD's history. But I digress.
That aside, OUATIA did, in fact, have two LD releases: a MAR release (released in the mid-80s) and a WS OAR release (released in the mid-90s). In addition to being in the proper AR, reviews indicate that the later release also has a better-looking transfer.
DJ

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
In addition to being in the proper AR, reviews indicate that the later release also has a better-looking transfer.
I have the 1985 release, it's not bad;225 minutes. Been awhile since I watched it.
Never have run across the other release, too bad

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks