What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

OMG I'm getting behind..... (1 Viewer)

Gregory V

Stunt Coordinator
Gotta finish up That Girl....catch up on the Beverly Hillbillies, McHales Navy, Petticoat Junction, Married with Children, Bewitched. God I hate being PO!!!!

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Tell me about it I have about 71 TV/DVD sets with viewing in progress. Too many to list as well as Pete. To name a few,

Bewitched S4 Just started
Dick Van Dyke (compl) S3
Get Smart (compl) S2
Green Acres S2
Happy Days S1
Hogan's Heroes S3
Land of the Giants S1
Mannix S1
Matlock S1
M:I S2
Naked City Box Set 1
Rawhide S2V2
Rockford Files S3
Route 66 S1
Saint compl B/W set Disc 3
Secret Agent Megaset about 2/3 complete
Taxi S1
Untouchables S1V2
Voyage...Sea S1V2
Wanted Dead or Alive S1

Doesn't include the ones I haven't started yet.

"Behind" to say the least....been that way since I started collecting TV/DVD's in '04 .

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
Glad to know I'm not alone.

By the way Jeff thanks for the Hill Street Blues push (a while back I debated on getting the two season set for cheap at Target). I had no questions about getting Mary Tyler Moore but was unsure of HSB. As it turns out, I'm almost done with HSB season 1 and wondering why they ever stopped. While MTM ended up being sold off after only half the first season. I had seen both during their initial runs and had fond memories of each. For some reason MTM didn't sustain for me while HSB did. Hard to figure.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by smithb

Glad to know I'm not alone.

By the way Jeff thanks for the Hill Street Blues push...
Brad, no problem, glad you're enjoying HSB. Ironically for me, I was never much of a MTM Show fan but I loved MTM in the Dick Van Dyke Show. I thought she was cast to prefection for that role.

As for HSB, I was more of a fan of that show during the "Michael Conrad" years before he passed. The guy that replaced the Sarge did a great job but it wasn't the same show for me without Conrad.

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
Originally Posted by Jeff Willis

Brad, no problem, glad you're enjoying HSB. Ironically for me, I was never much of a MTM Show fan but I loved MTM in the Dick Van Dyke Show. I thought she was cast to prefection for that role.

As for HSB, I was more of a fan of that show during the "Michael Conrad" years before he passed. The guy that replaced the Sarge did a great job but it wasn't the same show for me without Conrad.
I have the Dick Van Dyke show also and have watched a few episodes so far. One thing I noticed about MTM that threw me off was how ultra thin Mary was. She definitely looked better in DVD. I don't recall thinking that when watching MTM originally, but back then I didn't have the luxury of watching them back to back. So I agree DVD is better.

Kenneth V

Stunt Coordinator
I'm the same way, so far behind and I just keep buying sets. I just got GI Joe and will stop watching other shows to tackle this one. I can't even list all the shows I have, just too many to type out. :)

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
The funny thing is that many of us are over burdened with the number of sets we have and lack of time to catch up, yet we also complain about classic shows taking too long to come out. Interesting. We have to have it whether we have any chance of watching it anytime soon or not. Just as an example, as far backlogged as I am in what I have to watch, I just purchased around 8 new sets during the latest DD sale.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
You're so right, Brad. I'm one of the worst offenders when it comes to complaining about stuff taking forever to come out yet at the same time having a huge backlog. My list is way too long to list (Jeff can vouch for that), but that doesn't stop me from wishing more stuff would come out faster.

In my case, it's not that I'm anxious to spend more money or just hoard things when I'm complaining about delays. My big concern is that if a series is stalled or delayed, it might not ever regain momentum or see it's full release. I'm a guy that says "strike while the iron is hot", and when a series hits a snag or slows down, I worry it might never see the light of day again. I know we have some examples where shows have been on hiatus, release wise, for years and have come back from the proverbial grave. But that doesn't mean every show will make a comeback. Anyhow, worry is my main reason for despairing when a show is stalled. It's not because I'm watching these dvds 24/7 and have nothing left to view.

Gary "I've purchased less this time than normal from the DD sale, but that has more to do with finances than anything else" O.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by smithb ...but true in my case. For me, the main thing about the hobby that bugs me is that there are so many shows on DVD that are in the stalled or abandoned group.

I did a quick check of my total TV/DVD collection and it looks like I have 23%, 45 out of 195 total shows completed. This includes 1-season shows, miniseries, and cartoon shows. I didn't count the shows where they may have complete releases available but I only wanted part of the show's run. (maybe that's an idea for a new thread...)

I don't have too many "Holy Grail" shows that I'd like to see released anymore, compared to the # that I had back in '04 when I started ramping up TV/DVD collecting. I've seen a lot of my favorite shows either partially or completely released.

I have to admit that, due to my un-viewed backlog, I've cut back considerably on TV/DVD purchases but the other reason for that is there's not been many shows released on my list during the past few months. I only have 3 sets in the cart for the DD sale this time around and that's a big reduction from past DD sales. I have 3 more on my list but they won't get released in time for this DD sale.

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
You two (Gary and Jeff) have been into this longer then I. From 1999 through mid 2008 I had purchased around 13 sets (set being a season, volume of a season, or compilation of some type). In the past 12 months I have raised that to just under 200. This past spring I built a new wall unit, 5 feet wide and 7 rows high. Currently, the top 5 shelves are filled and I'm working on number 6.

While easier said then done, this past DD purchase is it for me for the remainder of the year. I've been playing catchup for a time and now I'm ready to give it a rest for a bit while I just sit back and enjoy what I have. But the name of the game seems to be not wanting to look back on missed opportunities. Even if I won't watch it for several years, I want to know I have it when its number gets called. Of course as Gary says, it doesn't have to be on release week, 3 to 6 months down the road when a sale has it for 50% off is close enough for me.

Looking for the Rifleman is what caused me to find this forum and learn a lot more about TV DVDs then I ever needed to know and is partially the blame for my taking this hobby to this extreme. About the only thing that could get me back in the purchasing mood in 2009 would be if the Rifleman became available. That would be too hard to pass up.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Sounds like you have a much bigger DVD collection than me. I have about 235 movies and about 200 TV/DVD sets.

As for the Rifleman, I have those MPI box sets (6 total) and they contain all but about 45 episodes (if I remember right) from the entire series. The box sets episodes aren't organized in chronological order like a regular series set. I bought those box sets during my earlier TV/DVD collecting days. It's a great show but the MPI transfers aren't remastered and I have problems hearing the audio with these box sets. Some here are waiting for a supposed complete series box set that was rumored to be coming sometime this year. I might get that set if the transfers are remastered with cleaned up audio. If they contain the MPI transfers, I would most likely pass on buying the set myself since I already have nearly all of the series in the MPI sets. But, there's always that guy in the sleigh that makes deliveries every Dec 25th From what I see across the HTF forums, most here have a much larger DVD collection than myself. My problem is that I watch a lot of sports on DirecTV which takes DVD viewing time off the table.

Theodore J. Mooney

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Yes, I am way behind too. So far, I have purchased seventeen TV-DVD sets this year and I have only completed four of them. I am about half way through three of them. I started a couple up but but haven't gotten to the point of resuming them. Worse yet, I plan to buy, at least, five more TV-DVD sets this year (i.e. The Lucy Show: S1, Here's Lucy: S1, The Mary Tyler Moore Show: S5, Get Smart: S4, & Mister Ed: S1). I am now considering getting the entire The Golden Girls series (which is 7 TV-DVD sets total) as Deep Discount has a really good price for it which is kind of too hard to turn down. I haven't seen a price this good for a long time.

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
I'm behind on tons of stuff too, it's difficult to keep up when you've started watching many shows, some are bound to fall behind. I tell myself the important thing is simply owning these shows, there's the rest of one's life to watch them...

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
This topic makes me feel better about taking forever to watch the nine sets I'm currently going through. (Although there are two others I haven't started yet.)

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Originally Posted by HenryDuBrow

I'm behind on tons of stuff too, it's difficult to keep up when you've started watching many shows, some are bound to fall behind. I tell myself the important thing is simply owning these shows, there's the rest of one's life to watch them...
I probably should think that about that "Sanford and Son" #1 release that I purchased. I have that to finish, and the first three of "Get Smart." I'm almost halfway through #1 of that.

Pete Battista

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pete
As much as I have in my unwatched pile (and it is HUGE) I for some reason find myself having marathon viewings of the TV shows I have already watched instead of working on sets I haven't finished (or even started in many cases) yet.

I just recently finished off a marathon of NCIS and now I just recently started a marathon of Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman.

I know... it makes no sense... but hey... you have to watch what you are in the mood to watch... when you are in the mood to watch it. That is the point of having these shows on DVD isn't it?

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Pete Battista

I know... it makes no sense... but hey... you have to watch what you are in the mood to watch... when you are in the mood to watch it. That is the point of having these shows on DVD isn't it?
I've got an unwatched pile in the several hundreds- about 50 TV sets and the rest single features, and just like you, the stuff I've been in the mood for lately is the stuff I've already seen. My problem is, rather than give in and watch whatever I'm in the mood for, I fight it and make a point to try to make dents in the unwatched pile.
I've come to realize that the reason I do this is more to justify being able to buy more new stuff, rather than out of a desire to enjoy what I already have. If the latter impulse truly were the case, I would be just be enjoying my collection as the mood struck. If that meant spinning something I've already watched 3 times over 20 other things I haven't even watched once, so be it.
You're right- that is the whole point in owning these things after all.

nikkif99uk

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Nikki Fineing
I am so behind as hardly had time to watch any last year as it was the final year of my degree. Now I've finished am working loads at the moment but when I have time been working my way through my movies and TV shows I haven't watched yet. I still need to finish Profiler - Season 1 and Ghost Whisperer - Season 1. Then I cam move on to more. A Few I can remember that I need to watch are

1st & Ten Complete Series
24 - Seasons 1,2& 3 (I also have 6 but not got 4 or 5 yet)
Alias - Season 2
Alien Nation - Complete Series
All In the Family - Season 1
Arrested Development - Series 1-3
Birds Of Prey - Complete Series
Dad's Army - Complete Series
Damages - Season 1
Flash Gordon - Complete Series
Ghost Whisperer - Season 2&3
Gilmore Girls - Seasons 1-4 ( I also have 7 but still need 5 &6)
Grey's Anatomy - Season 1
Only Fools & Horses - Seasons 1-7
Profiler - Season 2
Torchwood - Season 1

will edit later as I gotta leave to go to work

Pete Battista

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pete
Originally Posted by Paul_Scott

I've got an unwatched pile in the several hundreds- about 50 TV sets and the rest single features, and just like you, the stuff I've been in the mood for lately is the stuff I've already seen. My problem is, rather than give in and watch whatever I'm in the mood for, I fight it and make a point to try to make dents in the unwatched pile.
I've come to realize that the reason I do this is more to justify being able to buy more new stuff, rather than out of a desire to enjoy what I already have. If the latter impulse truly were the case, I would be just be enjoying my collection as the mood struck. If that meant spinning something I've already watched 3 times over 20 other things I haven't even watched once, so be it.
You're right- that is the whole point in owning these things after all.
You know... I tried that myself there for a while at first too (push myself to work on unwatched pile instead). And I found that I enjoyed that unwatched pile less because I really wasn't in the mood to watch what I was watching. But then if I waited and watched it when I was really in the mood for it... I found I enjoyed it much more.

So I finally told myself the hell with it... watch what you want when you want. It is not like the unwatched pile is going anywhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RobertTheBob
Recent bookmarks
SVS Outlet Sale